General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Questions for Facebook Users

(1/6) > >>

Outdoor Girl:
I have resisted Facebook for many years.  But a friend has suggested I open an account to make it easier for us to stay in touch - she currently lives about a 3 hour flight from me.

Is it possible to completely lock it down so no one sees anything?  Except for the people I friend, of course.  I don't want my life all over the net.

People talk about posting on your wall and about messaging and all sorts of other things that I don't understand.  So I'd like to know more about it and make a decision about whether or not I'm going to continue to resist or bite the bullet and join.  Of course, as soon as I do, Facebook will probably fold, with my luck.

JenJay:
In the privacy settings you can choose how much people can interact with you. It is possible to set everything so that only those you are already friended with can see your FB account, and you can also set it so that nothing comes up if people search for you.

wolfie:
Yes but facebook changes this so often that you have to look at your privacy settings regularly to make sure everything is still as locked down as you want it. Personally I don't worry about privacy so much as I just don't post anything I wouldn't mind being published on the front page of the new york times. So yeah I don't post that much but it won't come to bite me later either.

Outdoor Girl:

--- Quote from: wolfie on July 11, 2013, 11:16:31 AM ---Yes but facebook changes this so often that you have to look at your privacy settings regularly to make sure everything is still as locked down as you want it. Personally I don't worry about privacy so much as I just don't post anything I wouldn't mind being published on the front page of the new york times. So yeah I don't post that much but it won't come to bite me later either.

--- End quote ---

The bolded is what concerns me.  I definitely don't want people to be able to find me.  High school wasn't the best experience and I really don't have any desire to reconnect with most of those people.  But I guess if they do find me, I can just ignore their friend request?  Or block them? Or something?

wolfie:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on July 11, 2013, 11:18:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: wolfie on July 11, 2013, 11:16:31 AM ---Yes but facebook changes this so often that you have to look at your privacy settings regularly to make sure everything is still as locked down as you want it. Personally I don't worry about privacy so much as I just don't post anything I wouldn't mind being published on the front page of the new york times. So yeah I don't post that much but it won't come to bite me later either.

--- End quote ---

The bolded is what concerns me.  I definitely don't want people to be able to find me.  High school wasn't the best experience and I really don't have any desire to reconnect with most of those people.  But I guess if they do find me, I can just ignore their friend request?  Or block them? Or something?

--- End quote ---

You don't have to accept a friend request and you can block them if you want to. I have never blocked someone so I don't know how easy that is but I have just ignored friend requests.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version