Author Topic: coworker constantly nagging me to see a doctor  (Read 7606 times)

Secret

Re: coworker constantly nagging me to see a doctor
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
If your cold last 3-4 days and actually goes away with no lingering symptoms, it is okay. (I don't like it personally), but if it is more of an annoyance than effects your work and such.  Deal with it.    Anything that lingers, perhaps get it checked out.  Even an underactive thyroid can lead to an immune system that isn't up to par.

I have a co worker that has come in and worked through some pretty bad stuff, which of course was contageous.  Once including Menegitis.  We could all clearly see coworker was incredibly ill, but she couldn't see it herself.  We had to tell her to get to the ER stat.  Could it be you look pretty bad and this is causing some of the angst?  Because nobody likes to be around a sick person.

White Lotus

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
Wow!  Everyone here seems to want OP to see a doctor, too!  I really don't see her health care choices as anyone else's business.  I think she should do as she pleases, as long as she is sure she isn't catching or annoying others, and just say, "Allergies!  They're dreadful but they're coming under control."  Try saline nose spray (privately, please) and allergy pills.

nyoprinces

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »
I think what people are saying is that she can't be sure she isn't contagious, if she hasn't seen a doctor.

Pen^2

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 04:01:23 AM »
I think what people are saying is that she can't be sure she isn't contagious, if she hasn't seen a doctor.

Yes, that's it exactly. If it isn't contagious, then it isn't anyone else's business. But until that's been verified by a doctor, then it very much is a problem for those around her, especially a supervisor or manager who has a duty to watch out for the health of other workers as well.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
POD Pen^2.

For example, it's very easy to think that a cough that won't go away must be an allergy of some sort, or because of air pollution. But "the hundred-day cough" is another name for whooping cough, which is usually trivial in adults but can be more serious or even fatal for young children.

I don't think OP owes her coworkers a diagnosis or discussion of her treatment, but "I've seen a doctor, and it's not contagious" or "I've seen a doctor, and it's being treated. I'm going to be diligent with the hand sanitizer for the next few days" are appropriate. So is "Boss, I took your advice and saw a doctor. You were right, I'm really sick, here's the note explaining that I need to be out for three weeks."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

blahblahblah

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:49 PM »
I think what people are saying is that she can't be sure she isn't contagious, 
Well, colds can be passed around, of course. So no, I'm not saying that I know for a fact that I'm not contagious since I've acknowledged that I had a cold*. What I am saying is that staying out sick for the entire duration of my symptoms simply isn't feasible (and honestly, I'm not alone in this; it's hardly unheard of that many employees still have to report to work when they're sick); I'd have to go to the doctor and get a note, and besides that, my boss would highly disapprove regardless if I technically had the sick days available. Like, I'm not going to stay home just for having a sore throat, which is when the whole thing started and when my coworker started nagging me.   

And for the person who asked whether she was coming in as a mediator: No. Trust me, she was just being nosy. I've mentioned before that she's not part of my department. If the other coworkers needed a mediator, they'd go to our actual boss. Except that that'd never happen because they're fairly outspoken themselves and wouldn't hesitate to tell me themselves if something was bothering them; it's happened before, when I had a bad post-viral cough a few years ago and sounded like I was hacking up a lung. My coworkers were all, "...Dude."

Also, I did hear back from my doctor friends whom I emailed, and they agreed with me and said that seeing a doctor wasn't necessary.

* And yes, the cold cleared up within the allotted time frame. I did end up with another post-viral cough (boo), but this time I was smart, unlike before, and drank a lot of honey in warm water (which was gross, but eh), so it wasn't anywhere near as bad and cleared up very quickly.

Finally, I know that this post might prompt responses of how I'm just looking for validation since I'm basically disagreeing with everyone saying, "But...maybe you SHOULD go to the doctor!", but honestly... whether my coworker is right to nag me was never my question. I've always felt that my coworker was out of line in continuing to press the issue and I still feel that way. My question was only on how to make her stop. That's not to say that people aren't entitled to veer OT of course, especially if they disagree with the premise of the post, because a lot of Ehell threads do that, but if there's any question as to why I'm essentially going, "Yeah...no," to those responses, that's why. (So I'm not saying that people should stop posting along those lines, just know that I'm really not going to agree with you. *shrugs*)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:08:27 PM by blahblahblah »