Author Topic: How would you divide the rent? UPDATE #34, #40, #75, NEW Oh! Dear! #81  (Read 12420 times)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: How would you divide the rent? UPDATE #34, #40
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »
From the math:  Let's say rent is $100 equal share per roomie.

The agreement was $130, $100 and $70

Now with the "new proposed amounts" Vicki is expecting: $110, $110, $80.

And that is hardly a fair breakdown as she is now paying the same as the second largest room.

Absolutely Vicki needs to pay it or switch rooms.
Your example should be

Vikki $120 Rm2 $105 DD $75.

Your DD is right  but would actually be $60 a month for DD to move to the better room and $30 a month for RM2 to move to it so they may just be happier to eat the $10. I would go with the PP suggestion "we'll cover it as rent is due now and you owe us $10. if you cant pay it next month you'll need to switch rooms* that's assuming either you dd or the other girl wants it* if they don't ask her to sign and IOU for the $60 she'll owe to each of them .

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 06:05:17 PM »
I also think this would be a good reason to make a signed agreement, if they didn't have one before, and/or otherwise plan for the long term, like with a lump sum IOU from Vicki. And to keep very close track of the shared utilities and other bills, like groceries, to make sure that everyone is paying what they should. Actually it's good that this came up right away--I think some people would feel awkward saying to their friends, "I don't trust you, let's hammer this out in detail" (well, that's what it would sound like to some), but now they have a good reason to make things "more clear" to everyone.

I was against the "more chores" idea earlier because to me that sort of thing is fuzzy and hard to enforce--did you do it, did you do it to the standard we agreed, etc., whereas a dollar amount is unambiguous. And considering that Vicki has now flubbed on the dollar amount, I honestly wouldn't trust her at this point to keep up with doing "more chores."
~Lynn2000

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »

And that is hardly a fair breakdown as she is now paying the same as the second largest room.

Your example should be

Your DD is right  but would actually be $60 a month for DD to move to the better room and $30 a month for RM2 to move to it so they may just be happier to eat the $10. I would go with the PP suggestion "we'll cover it as rent is due now and you owe us $10. if you cant pay it next month you'll need to switch rooms* that's assuming either you dd or the other girl wants it* if they don't ask her to sign and IOU for the $60 she'll owe to each of them .

I thought the original agreement was for Vicki to pay $30 more than equal share, 2nd room pays at room share and OP's dd pays $30 less than room share?  Did I have that wrong?  And then Vicki wants to pay $20 less which with splitting increases the other two roommates each an extra $10?

NyaChan

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
I see it this way -

The girls didn't give Vicky the larger room outright.  They gave her first shot at having the large room.  She still has to pay what it is worth.  If she can't, then she is giving up her option on it and one of the other girls will get it.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:08 PM »
I agree--OP's daughter and Laura should stand firm--Vicki should have been up front that her parents had allowed her rent to be only x, therefore she'd take the room that was either the smallest or the middle size.  The other two should absolutely *not* let Vicki off the hook, especially this early in the year, or it's only going to get worse until someone actually bails from the apartment.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »
...As it worked out, basing the rent on an equal share per person, DD#1's rent is $30 less than the equal share. Laura's rent turned out to be the equal share, and Vicky's rent is $30 over. (Actual dollar amounts are rounded off, and DD#1 agreed to pay a few bucks more for equal balance just to keep peace in the family.)

Now that rent is due, Vicky is firmly saying that she can't afford anything but $20 over the even share. Apparently, Vicky's parents are paying for her rent and gave her a top-dollar limit. Vicky expects DD#1 and Laura to come up with an extra $5 each...

Lets be clear. Several posters are mixing up the $20 and $10 amounts the OP mentioned and others are doubling the $5 each increase request to $10 each.

If we go with $100 as the assumed equal share the breakdown is:
$130 / $100 / $70

Vicky's new financial proposal is $10 less a month for her room, not $20. (She can't pay more then $20.) $10 divided between each other girl is $5 a month. So she's asking it be broken down to:

$120 / $105 / $75
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:32:47 PM by WillyNilly »

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
Yep, I read that wrong. But my view is the same, Vickie needs to pay or switch.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »

Your example should be

I thought the original agreement was for Vicki to pay $30 more than equal share, 2nd room pays at room share and OP's dd pays $30 less than room share?  Did I have that wrong?  And then Vicki wants to pay $20 less which with splitting increases the other two roommates each an extra $10?

$10 less total not each as long as I understood it correctly

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 12:13:26 AM »
I agree with everyone else. It will not "make things easier" to pay Vicky's share of the rent. Vicky agreed to the rent. If she can't pay it, the other girls can sympathize and offer to switch rooms with her. But it sounds like she just didn't want to pay it.

If the other girls pay it, it is like they just stuck a big sign saying "I am a doormat and will acquiesce to unreasonable demands to keep the peace. PLEASE take advantage of me." on their heads.

It's easier to start with a spine then try to find it three late rent checks down the road.

onikenbai

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 01:34:38 AM »
I'm just interested in knowing what insanely inexpensive city this is?  When I shared a three bedroom apartment with two other people a half hour bus ride from campus back in 1996-98 it still cost us $325 a month each, and that was considered normal.  A good deal on a student apartment in my city right now is anything less than $700 a month per person.  Vikki (or more appropriately, her parents) should be running through the streets, jumping with joy over the idea of $120 a month in rent.  A 3 bedroom apartment for $300?  Hell, I'm moving in!  It sure beats the $1200+utilities I'm paying now for a 1 bedroom.

FTR, if Vikki gets a break on rent, she is totally responsible for buying the peanut butter for the entire year.  Not the name brand either... Kraft all the way.  Bonus points if it's the all natural kind that's only peanuts.

Oh Joy

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2013, 02:28:26 AM »
I'm just interested in knowing what insanely inexpensive city this is?  When I shared a three bedroom apartment with two other people a half hour bus ride from campus back in 1996-98 it still cost us $325 a month each, and that was considered normal.  A good deal on a student apartment in my city right now is anything less than $700 a month per person.  Vikki (or more appropriately, her parents) should be running through the streets, jumping with joy over the idea of $120 a month in rent.  A 3 bedroom apartment for $300?  Hell, I'm moving in!  It sure beats the $1200+utilities I'm paying now for a 1 bedroom.

FTR, if Vikki gets a break on rent, she is totally responsible for buying the peanut butter for the entire year.  Not the name brand either... Kraft all the way.  Bonus points if it's the all natural kind that's only peanuts.

The rent is actually more than $300/month.  Our OP hasn't given us exact amounts, so posters have been using $100/renter to illustrate the differences.  It could just as easily be $430/$400/$370, with the $430 renter requesting a change to $420/$405/$375.

Stormtreader

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2013, 05:22:05 AM »
I would be very wary of them "subsidizing" the rent amounts at all - what happens if next month she says she can only afford starting rent + $10? or no extra at all?
If she cant afford the agreed rent she should move to a smaller room.

CakeBeret

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
I think the girls should tell Vicki that if she doesn't come up with her full rent amount by the first of the month and sign an agreement between the three of them outlining rent, etc then she will be moved to a room that she actually can afford, whether she likes it or not.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2013, 11:05:31 AM »
Once I got my own one bedroom apt in college, that summer, a friend said she needed a place to live.  Rent was cheap, but even cheaper divided in half!

She had no furniture, but I had a pull-out bed for her, and complete furnishings, so she lacked for nothing.

Except, she fussed about my full bookcase.  She was paying half rent, so she should get use of HALF of ALL the furniture.  She did have half the closet, and we had our own food, I supplied ALL the kitchenware, but...it was all my furniture, so I did not clear the bookcase. 

Maybe I was wrong on that.  But what she owned fit into a hatchback car.  I had a u-haul amount of stuff that she used. 

OP-whatever they finalize, get it in hard cold writing, and all three sign. 
Are all three girls named on the lease?
landlord only cares if payment is made or not made, not by whom.  But, the names(s) on the lease are the ones that count.

Oh--that reminds me-- that next summer, another girl happily paid half the rent to share a fully finished apartment with me.  Her name was not on the lease, but she said she would take it over when I moved out-of-state. 

But, she did not tell the landlord.

I cleaned all my stuff out, had a good-bye dance party (something about a face in a cake!) u-haul was loaded, turned in my key, and realized that second girl was jsut hanging around, fully expecting the gods of real estate to bestow this place upon her. 

The landlord drove over right quick after I called to ask what I should do, and had her pay a security deposit and sign a lease, while I happily drove away.

Teens and 20 somethings still have a few things to learn.  It is theirs to learn, though, so good for not helicoptering.

:)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »
  I think at the start Viki could have said the big room is not worth $30 to me.  If neither other girl wanted it they could have split the rent evenly and flipped for it (it was still the cheapest place with 3 bedrooms so I think everyone would have been happy with 1/3s )  Thats not what they did though they went with square footage and then once they saw the numbers rounded down for viki then again she said "ermm well I don't want to pay that."   

IT matters what OP is willing to pay  if its $50 a month more( the$30 less DDs room is now plus the $20 extra charge Viki purposes for the est room) then I think OP's DD and Viki should switch.  That way DD is paying what Viki wants to pay for the room and Viki can have the small room with a $20($50 total less then what she is paying now) discount rather then the $30 everyone agreed to. The other girl may want the room for $20 a month more but for this plan to work one the them MUST want it and must BE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT.  IF no one  else wants it I'll go with pay it and have her sign IOUs