Author Topic: Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .  (Read 3735 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »
Has anybody heard that this makes for a happier, healthier kitty?

Kitty is about 9 years old. With her and prior cats that I've loved, I've always had the food and water bowls next to each other.*

The other day I came home from work and found only the food dish on kitty's food bench. So I got out another water dish and put it next to her food, like always.

DD#2 said "No! I read on the internet that kitties are happier when their food and water are in separate places so I put her water dish over here."

I asked DD#2 to send me the site where she found that info, but of course ::) she's been busy and hasn't sent it to me yet.

I've done a google and it seems that this might be true. However, the sites that I've visited are mostly talking about the connecting-all-in-one food/water dishes where water might drip into the food or the food might spill into the water.

If anybody has any info concerning this topic, please enlighten me. I really don't want to think that I've been a bad kitty-mom because I've kept the water and food dishes next to each other for so many years, but I'm willing to change my ways if need be!

*I have a set of 6 glass dishes that are for kitty use only. I use two at a time, one is for water, another is for dry food. They are swapped out every couple of days or so and dishwasher cleaned. The dishes are far enough apart on kitty's food bench where there is no chance of cross contamination.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »
My vet has told me to have a water bowl on every floor of the house for my cats.  They certainly seem to drink a lot more water, which is better for them, now that I'm doing that.  Their other bowl is right by their food, though.

He also said that they will drink more if the bowl is wide enough that their whiskers don't touch the sides of the bowl.  He uses a dog dish for his own cats.  I'm not giving them a bigger food bowl, though!  They don't need to eat more.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bluenomi

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »
I've always put the water bowl near the food since she likes a drink after eating. But  she is also a fan of drinking out of the kitchen sink, the shower, the bath, etc so maybe cats do like a water source seperate from their food.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »

He also said that they will drink more if the bowl is wide enough that their whiskers don't touch the sides of the bowl.  He uses a dog dish for his own cats.  I'm not giving them a bigger food bowl, though!  They don't need to eat more.

I'm not sure I buy this--my kitty loves to stick her nose down inside the water glass I'm using.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »
Like people, not all cats are the same.   :)  I think he was generalizing somewhat.  The large bowl certainly seems to be working for my two.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Girlie

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
I think having the water bowl beside the food bowl is perfectly fine. In my house (which is only one floor), we have a water fountain next to the bowl in the bedroom (I know it's odd, but it works for us), and we keep an extra water bowl in the kitchen.

Having multiple water bowls spread apart in the house can encourage your kitty drink more, which is good for them.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »
I've got my cats' water and food dishes about two feet apart. I've never had a problem, and in fact my Himalayan won't drink if the water's too far removed from the food. (And she's the one who really needs more water than most - polycystic kidney disease...)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »
I do this just out of necessity.  I can't put the cat food anywhere the dogs can't get it other than in the basement (my basement doorway has a door that closes, and a cat-flap already installed) and the water bowl (also a large dog dish, to accommodate my three dogs) is upstairs in the kitchen.  Basement Cat will crouch on the edge of the dish to drink, while Tango (and the late Samba) likes to smack the water with her paws, then scoop it up with her paws and lick it off, rather than just drinking.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 08:48:30 PM »
Ah, you seem to be falling into a common trap here.  That of trying to understand the working of the feline mind!  Beware of doing that.  If they realize you've got them figured out, they'll have to change and do something else - it's part of the Kitty Bylaws.  Humans shall never know what the cats are really thinking. :)

I think it's really an issue that depends on the individual cat.  Some want their water separate.  Some want their water with the food.  Some want running water.  Some want still water.  Some want water up high.  Some want water down on the ground.  As long as they're drinking enough, put the water wherever the cat wants it!

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
I wonder if she meant "cats prefer not to have their food and water near their litter boxes?" Our cats much prefer to drink out of any water glass, sink, or bowl is within reach than their own bowl anyway...

jolyan

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
My cat will only drink in the bathroom. He ignores water anywhere else.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »
I've heard that, and practice it. One thing I can tell you is that the food/water dishes stay cleaner (less cross contamination) if they are apart.

By which I mean Mr. Bean would try his hardest to make sure there was as much food in his water dish as he could, and he'd hit or move his water to make sure some got in the food. Both of these things would distress his sister, so in my case at least, it does make for happier, healthier cats.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 11:28:05 PM »
Everyone knows the best way to keep your kitty happy is to place the food bowl directly between your body and the keyboard, and the water bowl on whatever surface you were about to sit down on.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 12:15:54 AM »
I have three cats and they drink from a very large dog water bowl. I found it was the best way to keep them from fighting over the water.  The bowl is in the same room, but away from the food.

marcel

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 12:43:31 AM »
I have no idea where my cat finds her water, but I am pretty sure it is not her water bowl. For as far as I know she prefers whatever water source she can find outside over fresh tap water. The water bowl is next to the food bowl though.
Wherever you go..... There you are.