Author Topic: Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .  (Read 3755 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 03:21:29 AM »
I have heard this just recently.  The reason given was that in the wild cats (instinctively, I guess) do not put their food near their water source because of bacterial contamination of the food to the water.  I don't know if it is true, though.  I can't recall where I read it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 03:29:18 AM »
We've got 2 cats and we've never had a water dish near their food, it was a recommendation from the RSPCA when we adopted them. We have their food next to the fridge, litter trays in the laundry and their water is in a plastic jug in the bathtub.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

nayberry

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 06:29:28 AM »
Everyone knows the best way to keep your kitty happy is to place the food bowl directly between your body and the keyboard, and the water bowl on whatever surface you were about to sit down on.

how did you see my cats???   ;)

ours have food at opposite ends of the kitchen island, as he'll steal hers otherwise, and the bowl at one end,  they both prefer to steal our drinks, although only he likes to play splash with his paws

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 06:56:16 AM »
Everyone knows the best way to keep your kitty happy is to place the food bowl directly between your body and the keyboard, and the water bowl on whatever surface you were about to sit down on.

Around here, the cat goes between my body and the keyboard, with his head on my left arm. He'd prefer the water bowl to be right there by his head, so he wouldn't have to get up to take a drink.

Instead the poor fellow suffers from a cold and heartless human staff. The food bowl is in the kitchen, with a water bowl about 2 feet away. Then there's the water bowl in the study, and the one in my bedroom, and in warm weather, the one on the screen porch. He uses the bedroom and study bowls the most.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »
The cats food is in the laundry room and their water bowl in the downstairs half bath. We separated because they wanted to drink out of the toilet or bathroom sink. They aren't complaining. They do drink out of Their bowl more than my other cats did when the bowls were near each other.

KarenK

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 08:49:19 AM »
We have a large fountain type water dish in the kitchen right next to the dry food bowls (yes - bowls - my DH believes in variety) and a bowl of water on the vanity in the bathroom. My cats drink a lot of water. I had never heard about separating the food and water.

It's logical, though. I had one cat who would eat, then rinse his mouth in the water dish, and I still occasionally find pieces of dry food in the fountain. Maybe if he had had to walk farther for his water, he would have swallowed all his food! ;D

Delphine74

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
I have a water dish next to the dry food for my cats, but I have to have another on the bathroom counter, because that is the only place my boy kitty will drink.  And of course, he taught my girl cat to drink there too.  She does drink occasionally from the other bowl though. 

My mom has never separated food and water bowls for any of her cats though, and they don't have problems with it as far as I can tell. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »
I think having the water bowl beside the food bowl is perfectly fine. In my house (which is only one floor), we have a water fountain next to the bowl in the bedroom (I know it's odd, but it works for us), and we keep an extra water bowl in the kitchen.

Having multiple water bowls spread apart in the house can encourage your kitty drink more, which is good for them.

Plus it's entertaining. One thing about the cats I've known--they like water that's "fun": out of the faucet, in the plants, in your drinking glass, in the puddles, etc.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »
My cat will only drink in the bathroom. He ignores water anywhere else.

My girl is the exact same way - she learned it from watching her big brother.

Amara

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »
I have one of those Drinkwell fountains because you know cats and running water. ;D (But two of the three still run to the bathroom and wait for me to turn the faucets on.)

Athena, one of the cats, loves these oversized catnip-filled mice--but only at night after I have gotten into bed. Then she begins the loud growling and carries them around as if she has just caught them. Often, too often for my taste, she goes to the water fountain and just drops it in while she drinks. So I come out in the morning, like I did today, and find this oversized and waterlogged mouse taking up half the bowl. *sigh* I wring it out and put it in the windowsill. Of course she has two others to take their place.

scotcat60

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
I find it makes no difference where the water was, the cat prefered drinking from the water bowl left in the garden for the birds.

magicdomino

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Most, if not all, of my cats have prefered their water separate from their food.  Other than that, the cats have all had their preferences.  The faucet drinker, the slapper, the one who needed complete privacy, the one who wouldn't drink unless the water was very fresh.  Koa won't drink unless it is a bucket-full.  I'm not sure if it is because of the height, the width, or that the water has been sitting and any chlorine has evaporated.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »
We have the food and water dishes in different rooms. The reason, Morgan forgets that she is eating and drops food out of her mouth into the water dish which upsets the other cats. Having them in different rooms helps cut down on that (doesn't stop it however)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
Aphrodite's water and food are in the same place but she rarely drinks the water anyway and only wants to drink from the tap in the bathroom basin.  I think I'll put a little bowl of water in the bathroom and see if she will drink from that. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »
I used to do that, but for different reasons.  I would find bloated food bits in the water.  Also, my cats were fat, so I put the food where they had to jump for it.