Author Topic: Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .  (Read 3633 times)

Ginger G

Re: Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »
Well, that is interesting.  I have always had the water bowl next to the dry food bowl.  I don't think my cats drink out of it that much though.  I know one of them does, but the other 3 seem to prefer the beta fish bowl.  We thought that they just liked the "fishy taste" but maybe they do prefer their water bowl in a separate area.

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
DH's cat prefers to drink from a porcelain container.  There is a (plastic) water bowl near her food and a small porcelain cup on a ledge in the bathroom.  She mostly uses the cup now.

Jocelyn

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
I had a cat, many years ago, who was adamant that she didn't want the two next to each other.  Ever since, I've kept the food in the kitchen and the water in the bathroom. It keeps them from dropping kibble in the water dish. With a multicat household, that's always a problem- someone gets sloppy and then everyone else has to put up with soggy kibble in the water. :)

magicdomino

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
Well, that is interesting.  I have always had the water bowl next to the dry food bowl.  I don't think my cats drink out of it that much though.  I know one of them does, but the other 3 seem to prefer the beta fish bowl.  We thought that they just liked the "fishy taste" but maybe they do prefer their water bowl in a separate area.

It may also be the fish poop flavor.  Magic and Domino both used to drink out of the aquarium when I had a cat tree next to it (no fishy snacks though, I think).  Magic still drinks out of the bucket when I'm cleaning the aquarium.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 09:55:06 PM »
OP, thank you so much for posting this!

I have a 10 year old kitty that has never drank from a water dish.  He drinks out of the bathroom sink or the bathtub.  So, I figured what the heck and moved  one water dish to the opposite side of the room and the other about three feet from the food.

My boy just spent a good ten minutes drinking at the bowl across the room.  I don't remember if I've EVER seen him drink out of his actual water bowl. My other kitties were quite happy with the three foot move of the other bowl.  Who knew?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
I had to keep the bowls separate because my one cat likes to put his dry cereal in there and it hacked the others off and I noticed when I got my dog last year, they used her bowl which is in a different room.  So now I have a couple bowls scattered through the house except for where their food dishes are

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »
OP, thank you so much for posting this!

You're very welcome . . . I, too, am glad I posted! ;D

Since kitty's water dish has been moved it comes up empty much more frequently than it has in the past. Instead of changing it every day (with a little water left in it), I've been filling it twice a day. The second bowl is only about 1/2 empty for the morning refreshing, but still that's like almost a whole extra bowl of water that she's drinking per day!

Due to your responses, I've also put an extra bowl of water out on our patio. Kitty only sips out of this one every now and then, but I swear she looks at me and smiles every time she takes a drink. (I even believe she winked at me once.)

I've been water-starving my kitty for years and didn't even know it! . . . Bad Kitty-mom. Bad! :'(

Thanks to everybody that responded! ;D

sevenday

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2013, 12:49:55 AM »
We have 3 cats and 2 big water bowls.  They are stainless steel and used to belong to my service dog.  When he was alive, we had one of those raised bowl holders because he was about 50 lbs, big boy, easier for him to eat and drink if the bowls were up off the floor.  The cats would all drink out of his bowl too, even though their OWN (smaller) bowls for food plus one for water were in another area behind a door where the dog couldn't go.   I wonder if they just liked that one because it was refilled more often (and thus more likely to be fresh/cool in summer) due to being used more often? Who even knows.  Doggy is gone now, but the water bowl is in the same place (on the floor) and used.  Other one is barely touched.  CATS. 

perpetua

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »
Hmm. I've never heard of this and my cats' food and water bowls are right next to each other for space/neatness reasons rather than anything else but it does get annoying having to fish bloated bits of kibble out of the water. Perhaps I'll try an extra bowl elsewhere in a different room and see how they like that.

Slightly off-topic but in response to this upthread:

I wonder if she meant "cats prefer not to have their food and water near their litter boxes?"

I cured a case of inappropriate elimination by using this line of thought. I'd been away for a few days with a pet-sitter coming in, and one of the cats decided to show his displeasure at my deserting him by peeing in the corner of the kitchen, right in front of the fridge so I'd be sure to step in it, too. He continued doing it even after I got home, and even cleaning with an enzyme cleaner didn't break him of it. So I put a bowl of kibble on the exact spot where he'd been peeing (after cleaning it, of course!), and hey presto, no more puddles. He ate the food, too.

lkdrymom

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 06:46:07 AM »
I have a bowl of dry and a water dish in both the kitchen and the basement.  All the cats loved to drink out of the beta fish bowl on top of the computer hutch. Serious, there was a line of cats waiting to drink from the fish bowl.  The fish has since died but I keep the fishbowl full of water and it is the most popular place in the house.

Margo

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 06:57:29 AM »
I'd read that a lot of cats prefer the food and water some distance apart as they would typically not eat where there drink, in the wild.

I always used to have a dish of water next to the food but also had another about 4 feet away and a third  in the bathroom. He still preferred to drink from the tap when he could persuade me to turn it on, or from puddles, or my own glass of water (I tried giving him his own glass, at the same time as I got mine, but apparently that was not good enough..)

jmarvellous

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:11 AM »
We keep a kitty water dish in the upstairs bathroom and in the dining room next to her food bowl. She drinks from both, but she does seem especially keen on the upstairs one.

Previous cats had a fountain that they drank from sometimes, placed near their food, but we couldn't get them to drink much unless they just felt like it.

I have mostly stopped trying to understand feline brains. We gave ours two cat IQ tests Saturday, and she tested as a dummy on one andva genius on the other.
 :o

audrey1962

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
I haven't heard about keeping the dishes separate, but my vet did recommend I get kitty a fountain so there's a continuous flow of water and it helped greatly.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »
I have mostly stopped trying to understand feline brains. We gave ours two cat IQ tests Saturday, and she tested as a dummy on one andva genius on the other.

Gotta ask . . . cat IQ tests?

Please explain!

jmarvellous

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »

Gotta ask . . . cat IQ tests?

Please explain!

we just Googled it. The quizzes were fun but not necessarily reliable.