Author Topic: Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .  (Read 3775 times)

perpetua

Re: Keeping kitty's food and water in separate places . . .
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 06:44:03 AM »
Wow. I experimented last night and put a bowl of water on each side of the fireplace. I woke up this morning to one completely empty bowl, another half empty, and, according to the "pinch the skin on the back of the neck" test, two *very* hydrated kitties! This is fantastic news, since one of them - I'd thought - was beginning to show signs of slight dehydration and I thought perhaps he was starting with kidney issues.

Who'dve thought it, something so simple.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »
I have mostly stopped trying to understand feline brains. We gave ours two cat IQ tests Saturday, and she tested as a dummy on one andva genius on the other.
 :o

Gotta ask . . . cat IQ tests?

Please explain!

we just Googled it. The quizzes were fun but not necessarily reliable.

LOL! That was fun.

I only took one quiz ( http://www.parade.com/features/pet-quiz/cat-quiz.html ) and got a "Pretty Darn Bright!" -- only 6 points away from "Feline-stein"  ;D

I'll have to look at others later.

perpetua

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 05:14:26 AM »
I can't believe this difference this has made. Every time they walk past it, one of them will stop for a little drink. I'm filling up the bowls about three times a day. Now I'm getting to see just how much they're drinking and I'm actually a little worried - but we're in the middle of a heatwave here, so perhaps this week isn't the best benchmark.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »
After I put them in different places, I got one of those kitty fountains that could be filled with lots of water, and kept fresh.  Because it seemed like I was refilling it all the time. 

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »
Mr. Baxter prefers his separate, but I always thought it was just him.  Food dish in the kitchen, treats in the living room, and water dish in the bathroom: Feline Moveable Feast.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

GreenHall

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »
Based on this thread, I moved the water to the Dining room (from by her food in the kitchen).  Ren is ignoring the new location just as thoroughly as she ignored the old. 

My bedside cup is the only place I regularly see her drink, and since she just seems to get a single medium drink ever from it, I'm going to continue assuming she likes privacy when she drinks...

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »
We have the food, one dish in the bedroom, one in the living room.  The water fountain and the ceramic bowl are both in the kitchen. 

We change the water in the bowl every day, and there are days when it is empty.  But the fountain gets a workout too.  You can tell when they are drinking out of it because of the noise they make drinking out of the *top* of the fountain.  I guess they want their water *really* fresh.   ;D

Mikayla

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
Kitties love rippling water.  I've had at least two (one still with me) who won't drink until they've stuck their paw in and shaken the contents.  Some bowls survive, some don't :)

Also, another thought on the importance of water.  It's obviously critical, but for cats who are eating all canned food for some reason, less critical.  My roomie rescued a tiny, older gray tomcat from the streets and he doesn't have much left teeth-wise.  At his last visit, she mentioned to the vet that he hardly drinks any water, and the vet said he gets most of what he needs from the cans.

I'm not saying this is always true, especially if there's an underlying problem, but just it's a factor.

beakiebean

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »
Everyone knows the best way to keep your kitty happy is to place the food bowl directly between your body and the keyboard, and the water bowl on whatever surface you were about to sit down on.

POD this.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
Kitties love rippling water.  I've had at least two (one still with me) who won't drink until they've stuck their paw in and shaken the contents.  Some bowls survive, some don't :)

Mr. Baxter loves to do Dipper Paw.  Stick the paw in, and lick the sweet, sweet nectar from the paw.  Then it just takes too long, and he has to stick his whole face in.

To make him really happy, float an ice cube in the water.  Ice water: the cat's meow!   ;)
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »
I feel like such a bad kitty mama.  From the apparent refills since the bowl move, my kitties have been very dehydrated.  I only had to refill/rinse it once a day before unless there was some stray kibble floating in it, but I've refilled it twice today (and it's actually a much, much bigger bowl than the one I was using).  This morning I found my boy laying next to it with both paws wrapped around drinking water and mentally broadcasting "It's mine, all mine! Bwahaha!"
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

perpetua

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »
I feel like such a bad kitty mama.  From the apparent refills since the bowl move, my kitties have been very dehydrated.  I only had to refill/rinse it once a day before unless there was some stray kibble floating in it, but I've refilled it twice today (and it's actually a much, much bigger bowl than the one I was using).  This morning I found my boy laying next to it with both paws wrapped around drinking water and mentally broadcasting "It's mine, all mine! Bwahaha!"

One of mine is sleeping next to his... he's been there pretty much all day.

SiotehCat

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »
I have three cats and a dog, so I normally have 4 water bowls out. Sometimes I put out a 5th, but that doesn't stay out. Im just always worried about them drinking plenty of water and I couldn't see the downside to more water bowls.

Two bowls stay upstairs and two downstairs. One ceramic and one stainless steel each. The bowl that is on the same table as their food gets used less than all the rest. But that might just be because the dog doesn't have access to that one.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
If any of you are having the heat wave we are, that might be a factor in kitties drinking more.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »
I've always kept a stainless water bowl in the bathroom, but it only seems to get played with...

Otherwise, I had a water fountain near the food dishes in the kitchen.  Based on this thread, I put the water fountain in a nook in the hall just off the living room of my apt.

The sound is not annoying, which I'd thought it would be.  It also happens to be in the Northern location of my home - Feng Shui says this area is represented by the water element... Great!

Now, I just hope they drink more!  I have never seen my ~7 month old drink water EVER.  For real... They get lots of canned food though...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:34:24 PM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...