Author Topic: Boss goes through CWs desk.  (Read 6728 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Boss goes through CWs desk.
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »
I'll probably mention the Tums thing to CW,

I'd reconsider even doing that.   Not your desk, don't turn it into your problem.

Okay. I understand your point, not my problem . . . but if someone unbeknownst to you was rifling through your desk, wouldn't you like to know about it?

But you already told you coworker and they already knew - what do you hope to accomplish by bringing it up *again*?

I guess you're right.

CW was aware about Boss looking for the chocolates. I'm not sure if CW is aware of Boss looking through many drawers and taking the Tums.

Curious Cat

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »

I'd reconsider even doing that.   Not your desk, don't turn it into your problem.

Okay. I understand your point, not my problem . . . but if someone unbeknownst to you was rifling through your desk, wouldn't you like to know about it?

But you already told you coworker and they already knew - what do you hope to accomplish by bringing it up *again*?

I guess you're right.

CW was aware about Boss looking for the chocolates. I'm not sure if CW is aware of Boss looking through many drawers and taking the Tums.

CW is aware boss is looking through her desk what else should she be aware of? I'm not understanding.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »

I guess you're right.

CW is aware boss is looking through her desk what else should she be aware of? I'm not understanding.

It's medicine and not chocolate?  That's the only thing I got.  However, i still think the OP should stay out of it.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Figgie

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »
My spouse likes to take jars of salted peanuts into work and snack on them at his desk.  He opened up a jar and he thought that the peanuts smelled rancid.  Thinking that he didn't have time to deal with them right now (food garbage had to go in a specific garbage can in the break room), he stuck them back in his desk drawer (where he normally kept his jar of peanuts).  He then forgot about them completely.

The next day one of his co-workers came up to him and complained that the peanuts were bad!  My spouse looked at him and said:  "If you hadn't been digging in my desk and eating my food you wouldn't be complaining about my peanuts being bad."  My spouse now just brings his peanuts back and forth to work and never leaves them in his desk.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »

I guess you're right.

Like I said, I don't know the whole story behind CW's desk and how much freeway Boss has in order to find the chocolates.

I kinda sorta figure that (if it were me) the chocolates are in this drawer. Which should be the only drawer that Boss is free to look into . . . in order to find the chocolates.

Just because I give you the "Okay" to go into one drawer in order to find chocolates doesn't mean that I give you the "Okay" to go into my other desk drawers in order to find Tums.

Does that make sense?

veronaz

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »

I don't feel your hypothetical "what if if was YOUR desk" back and forth accomplishes anything.  I don't work there, it's not my desk, and this is not my thread. People have given their opinions, and it appears you're determined to get further involved.  You should just sort thru the replies and decide what/what not to do and let the chips fall where they may.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:16:18 PM by veronaz »

crella

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »
I wasn't sure if the CW knew the boss was in her desk even when she is not at work. On a normal working day, CW is Ok with it, is she equally Ok when she isn't in the building at all? That was my only thought.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »

I don't feel your hypothetical "what if if was YOUR desk" back and forth accomplishes anything.  I don't work there, it's not my desk, and this is not my thread. People have given their opinions, and it appears you're determined to get further involved.  You should just sort thru the replies and decide what/what not to do and let the chips fall where they may.

Wow.

Just. Wow.

Thank you for telling me how to be a member in this forum. (Yes that was sarcastic.)

In all my years being a member here, I've never heard such a chastising response to my own post.

I thanked everybody that responded and asked additional questions for further clarification. As far as e-hell rules go I don't see anything wrong with follow-up questions. I already stated that I understand many posters points and will comply with said suggestions.

I apologies, veronaz, if my post and subsequent responses offended you.

I sincerely hope that others don't feel the same way.

veronaz

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
Uh, jpcher, no apology, sarcastic or otherwise, is necessary or even appreciated.

Yes, SOMEONE has been offended ;) .......but it wasn't me and I don't understand why you felt compelled to post such a melodramatic, pointless rant.

Anyway, all that aside, good luck with the CW desk problem.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:54:24 PM by veronaz »

Miss Tickle

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »
It's not your/your co-worker's desk. That's in your own home. This is the company desk they lend to your use. If you are not permitted to lock it, you are not permitted to lock it, and anything personal you keep there is at your own risk. I think it's a strange way of going about things, but not my place of business.  Personally find it kind of dehumanizing to treat employees like children or criminals.

I am required, as a part of my job, to check everyone's desk, credenza, printer, computer, files, etc. for security. I am also required to keep spare keys for all locks, with the firm understanding that your desk is for your use, but may be opened or examined at any time. We have plenty of people with personal stuff up for grabs (snacks, cookies) and plenty of company stuff locked up. We have multiple people using various workstations as needed. Depends on the office environment.

In the spirit of camaraderie I'd tell your cube-mate about the extent of the rifling, as a heads up, and leave it at that. They can deal as they see fit. And I'd not keep anything in MY desk that I didn't want stolen!

Erich L-ster

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
Yes, a boss probably has the right to look through a desk which is company property. An employee's own personal belongings are not up for grabs.

" And I'd not keep anything in MY desk that I didn't want stolen!"

Sure, I wouldn't keep valuables in there unattended but if I couldn't keep a few chapsticks, snacks, toiletries, over the counter meds in there without them being stolen I would consider that a hostile work environment.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
I'm a boss. My subordinate's desk may be the company's property, but it's not MINE.

A boss might have a *legal right* to look through the desk. But that's legalities, and etiquette is not legalities. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's polite. Legal issues, and rights, are really not the things that determine whether something is proper or not.

From an etiquette standpoint, the boss is out of line.

And while I'd absolutely go through my workers' desks looking for a vital piece of paper that can't wait until they get back to the office, I think it's beyond *rude* to go through their desk for personal supplies unless they've specifically told me I could.

And any of the times that I *have* gone through a subordinate's or coworker's desk (and there have been times), I try to be very respectful. I get a witness if I can; I look only in the place where I have reason to believe the thing I'm looking for is...

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »
Thread locjpked, because the OP seems to be looking for offense where none was intended.