Author Topic: Seasonal Moaners  (Read 7769 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Seasonal Moaners
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:44:53 AM »
It's summer here! After one of the longest winters on record,  we're having a heatwave!  Yes, celebration time you say. Well yes and no.

The moaners are back out in force.  "It's too hot!" "We need the rain!" "It makes me feel ill!" These same people complain about the rain,  complain when it's too windy,  complain it's supposed to be summer and it's not hot enough and complaint when it's freezing in winter. You get the drift.

How does one politely respond to the constant moans? I'm tempted to just suggest they make the most of it since it won't last long and before we know it,  they'll be lamenting the end of the heatwave and wishing it were hot again! !

But really what can I say?!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

aussie_chick

Re: Seasonal Moaners
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »
That's exactly the kind of thing I say when someone complains about the weather. It's winter here currently and the same people who complained about the heat in summer are now complaining about the cold/rain etc.
I smile brightly and say "oh well, it won't be that long and we'll all be complaining about the heat." Then walk away.

Pen^2

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:17:12 AM »
If it's a normal, talking-about-the-weather comment, then I just continue with the conversation. Nothing wrong with stating that you dislike the current weather. Cut people a bit of slack! One or two comments isn't a big deal.

But if it's someone who harps on and on about how dreadful the current season is, however, and doesn't let you talk about much else, I'd just say, "I'm sorry it bothers you that much," and walk off. There's no sense in having a conversation with someone who won't talk about anything you find interesting.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
I admit it..I was a moaner on Wednesday.  My town, especially the part I live in, was hit with 4" of rain in a very short time, causing serious flooding (my section of town was literally cut off due to all roads being closed around me) and I made a FB status about it, but it was somewhat tongue in cheek.  I commented that if we aren't freezing to death, we are cooking , or we are in a drought followed by Biblical rains..can't we just get normal weather???  The comments that followed were actually pretty funny, and most people who make comments like mine are just making comments about the extremes. 

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:33:58 AM »
Will you forgive me if I only moan when it's too hot?
NE England

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
There's really nothing you can do except bean dip or make a joke of it. 

If someone complains about the never-ending rain, a comment like 'Yeah.  Our floor lamps are starting to grow moss' or 'Last night I saw the zoo animals heading for the port in pairs' may be in order. 

The weather affects everyone.  We're all sweltering or sick of the snow.   

LeveeWoman

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 08:43:55 AM »

If someone complains about the never-ending rain, a comment like 'Yeah.  Our floor lamps are starting to grow moss' or 'Last night I saw the zoo animals heading for the port in pairs' may be in order. 

If you're from the South, a good play on the ever-present humidity is "It's not the heat; it's the stupidity."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:41:14 AM »

If you're from the South, a good play on the ever-present humidity is "It's not the heat; it's the
stupidity."

That is a quip I must remember.  Thanks.

This thread reminds me of William Butler Yeats.  He wrote about an uncle who was extremely negative about weather.  On the day after the Summer Solstice uncle would complain, 'How short the days are getting!'

On a particularly warm day in London, Yeats brought his uncle into the reading room of the British Museum to cool off.  What was the uncle's response?

'This place must be horribly difficult to heat in the winter'. 

You just can't please some people.  All you can do is laugh it off.

audrey1962

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
Some people just like to complain. I ignore them.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
I have a really hard time in the heat:  unmotivated, uncomfortable, and probably unendurable to be around.  But a girlfriend of mine loves it and we're always emailing back and forth about it.  "Did you order up this heat wave?"  "Eww, partly cloudy, low 60's, and breezy, you must be happy! :-)"

But, oh, the universally negative.  A friend of DH's describes someone like that as "so hard to please, you could give her a million dollars and she'd complain the bag is too heavy."

Tea Drinker

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
I admit it..I was a moaner on Wednesday.  My town, especially the part I live in, was hit with 4" of rain in a very short time, causing serious flooding (my section of town was literally cut off due to all roads being closed around me) and I made a FB status about it, but it was somewhat tongue in cheek.  I commented that if we aren't freezing to death, we are cooking , or we are in a drought followed by Biblical rains..can't we just get normal weather???  The comments that followed were actually pretty funny, and most people who make comments like mine are just making comments about the extremes.

If you're where I think you are, there's a difference between "oh, it's summer again" and "ugh, unprecedented amounts of rain causing real problems." And, as others have said, there are people who manage to forget every year that yes, it snows in New York and Toronto; Florida summers are hot and humid; and it really does rain in southern California.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

audrey1962

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »
TBH, I think some people just don't know how to make small talk.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
The heat we have at the moment is making me ill. I never want this kind of weather so I reserve the right to moan about it. Similarily if it's rained for ten days on a trott it's moaning to wish it would stop.

I'd just ignore it if it bothers you, there isn't much you can do about it.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

perpetua

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »
The same people who complain about us saying that it's too hot are usually those same people complaining how cold it is in the winter, so it works both ways.

I don't like the heat much, can you tell?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
When they complain it is too cold my standard response is - Don't ever go someplace it actually gets cold. (These people are freezing to death at outside temperatures that = where they keep their ac in the summer)

When they complain it is too hot - You do know you are living in Houston (Especially when too hot is in the 80's)

Complain about rain right now - We need the rain to break the drought.

Complain about hurricanes - Every place on Earth has its standard natural disasters. At least with hurricanes we get days if not a week or more to prepare and get out of the way.

I admit to saying I hate ragweed/ligustrums (I think the law should say that if you have ligustrums you must cut off the buds before they bloom. Honestly I've never head someone do anything about complain about the blooms they are very messy).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future