Author Topic: Seasonal Moaners  (Read 6724 times)

LeveeWoman

Re: Seasonal Moaners
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
"Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it."

Charles Dudley Warner, quoted by Mark Twain

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
"You're welcome to change the weather if you can find a way."
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
It's just a bad to hear someone praise hot weather.  I have a coworker who love hot weather.  Her idea of paradise is 100+ degree weather.  On those days she eats lunch in her car (just thinking about it is making me nauseated.)  She goes on and on about how beautiful it is and how she wish it will last forever.  She complains to maintenance for turning on the AC in the Summer.  One year the AC broke for 3 days during a major heat wave (the kind they warn about in the news.)  Management allowed us to bring in personal fans and wear sleeveless tops and shorts which are usually a big no-no.  Meanwhile, she complained they are "wasting" money to fix the AC.  She does this knowing most of us hate hot weather/sun and a few of us even get allergic-like reactions.  I admit the rest of us talk about it if it's unusually hot, but we don't go on and on and on like her.

She's a very nice woman otherwise, but her praise of the heat gets on my last nerve.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
Where I live, the weather is notoriously unpredictable, so when someone complains about the weather, a common thing to say is "Just wait five minutes, it will probably change!".  I also like the line "Well, in [other season] we will be complaining that it's too [other temperature] and looking forward to [current season]".  But a lot of people I know, including myself, will sometimes say that ourselves after complaining about the weather, because we know it's true.   :D

So I think the best thing to do is make a joke like that out of it.  And if you think she might just be bad at small talk, you could further the conversation with weather-related stuff.  Like if she says that it's too hot and dry and you need rain, you could say how you'll be glad to get rain because you are struggling with keeping enough water in your garden.  Then she might ask about your garden and you go from there.

But in any case I think a joke would work.

perpetua

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »
It's just a bad to hear someone praise hot weather.  I have a coworker who love hot weather.  Her idea of paradise is 100+ degree weather.  On those days she eats lunch in her car (just thinking about it is making me nauseated.)  She goes on and on about how beautiful it is and how she wish it will last forever.  She complains to maintenance for turning on the AC in the Summer.  One year the AC broke for 3 days during a major heat wave (the kind they warn about in the news.)  Management allowed us to bring in personal fans and wear sleeveless tops and shorts which are usually a big no-no.  Meanwhile, she complained they are "wasting" money to fix the AC.  She does this knowing most of us hate hot weather/sun and a few of us even get allergic-like reactions.  I admit the rest of us talk about it if it's unusually hot, but we don't go on and on and on like her.

She's a very nice woman otherwise, but her praise of the heat gets on my last nerve.

I have the same issue with snow. It doesn't snow here all that often but I hate it, because it means I'm stranded in my flat until it's gone. Having to listen to people go on about how lovely the snow is all the time really irks me, plus then I get called a killjoy for not liking it.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »

I have the same issue with snow. It doesn't snow here all that often but I hate it, because it means I'm stranded in my flat until it's gone. Having to listen to people go on about how lovely the snow is all the time really irks me, plus then I get called a killjoy for not liking it.

I am not trapped in my house when there is snow, but my mobility is severely impaired due to balance and vision issues, and even simple errands become very complicated.  So when people around me praise the snow, I laugh and I say "Oh, the snow is beautiful! It's the ice I could do without." 

And usually, the person agrees with me!  :D  They admit, the snow is pretty to look at, and the temperature might even feel nice, but that ice is the nasty thing.  Looking at snow, or even playing with it, is fun, but falling on ice is not!

nayberry

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »
i love when it's cooler, i rug up and get all my blankets out, whereas in the heat i just wilt.   i lived in Oz for a while and found it bearable because of the way its set up, a/c, open plan house. in the UK i have windows open and fans on, and still live in t's and shorts whilst drinking so much you'd swear i was going to explode.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 12:41:15 PM »
I am one of the heat cheerleaders, but in fairness, we are looking to emigrate somewhere where the weather agrees with us all year round. I have no business being in Toronto in the winter. I try to refrain from reminding people that this weather is what people pay to go to in winter.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Daydream

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
I've been thinking about the opposite of this a lot, as I do every summer -- about how I feel it's *not* considered socially acceptable to complain about feeling uncomfortable or even ill in the heat in public, so I never do. 

You may feel nauseous, or like you are about to pass out and can't breathe well.  You may be embarrassed because your neck/chest is red and splotchy from heat-rash, or because you're the only one in the room whose face is damp, but the only "right" thing to do is smile and agree when people talk about how beautiful the weather is. 

I think that, at least in most areas of the US, hot weather is something you are "supposed" to look forward to and agreeing about how nice it is is supposed to be a human bonding experience.  So, not being physically well-suited for it makes you an outcast.  People can be very judgmental about it. 

I've never noticed this with cold weather, though.  I don't think most people look down on those who can't handle cold temperatures well as being unfit or lazy for not wanting to participate in certain activities or be outdoors.

I think that complaining about being snowed in or how a heavy rain affects people's plans, etc., is a way for people to connect through small talk, and is looked upon as normal.

I'm tempted to just suggest they make the most of it since it won't last long and before we know it,  they'll be lamenting the end of the heatwave and wishing it were hot again! !

But really what can I say?!

I think a cheerful, "Oh, it won't be long until Fall's here again!" would be fine.  I wouldn't add anything that assumes they will just wish it was hot again, even if you really are talking to someone you know well enough to believe that is true. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 02:50:03 PM by Daydream »

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »
I don't mind the moaners about the extreme heat (and it has been brutal this summer to the point of making me physically ill) or when we get slammed with snow.  This past February was just unreal with the cold and snow and most people were complaining about not seeing the sun..weather does affect people.  But when we get a nice rain to break the heat and people kvetch, I think "geez, my grass is brown and I am dying from prickly heat!" but when Noah was going down the road the other day, I didn't mind all the comments because it was unreal and TBH scary.   I also get annoyed if I say something about the cold and snow..once I am cold it is hard for me to warm back up and as I age I am more afraid of falling but it is more an aside comment, but there is always someone who will say "well you are from a notoriously snowy city, you should be ok with it".  Just because I lived there doesn't make me immune to cold and hip breaking falls! 

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »
I don't mind people who moan about the weather, but it does bother me when people moan about temperatures indoors, especially when they expect a venue to change the AC/heat setting just for them, even though everyone else is comfortable.

This happens in my classroom, where I keep the thermostat setting right in the middle.  I still hear "I'm too cold!" or "I'm too hot!" fairly often, almost always from just one student (i.e., the rest are fine with the temperature).

magician5

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
Don't respond to those comments at all. Either bean dip, or just keep repeating "that's terrible."
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »
I love spring and fall, and am not a real fan of the extreme temps.  Though we haven't had it too bad yet this summer.  Sure a few hot and humid days in the 90's but nothing dangerously hot that warnings are issued.  Though like my DH says about summer vs. winter, "You can always put more clothes on but there's only so much you can take off."

Though usually by February I'm ready to start ditching the heavy coats.  Seriously, give me a day where it's nearly 50 and I'm out there with sweatshirt and jeans happy as a clam because I don't have to bother with a coat.

Which is why I enjoy spring and fall, for the temps that fall nicely between 60 and 70. :)  Course there are oddities, like having a 35 degree night in the middle of May while camping.  :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cheyne

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
When people start to complain about it being too hot, I just laugh and (lightly) say, "Yeah, it's pretty hot working outside when it's over 100". 

Anyone who works outside in extreme temps whether hot or cold gets a pass for kvetching about the weather in my book.  This week it's been between 95 and 106 for highs everyday.  I was out in it all week.  I drank over a gallon of water plus gatorade every day.  There were times when all I could think about was the heat.  I'm sure my conversations with indoors people were pretty boring.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 07:20:52 PM »
I reserve the right to complain about having only evaporative cooling in the monsoon season in southern Arizona. It sucks.

I don't harp on it, however. Harping on any subject is pretty obnoxious and is best addressed with a large serving of beandip.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona