Author Topic: Seasonal Moaners  (Read 8653 times)

gmatoy

Re: Seasonal Moaners
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 11:44:38 PM »
My favorite season is summer. Wait, I need to qualify that! My favorite season where I grew up and now live is summer. In the Pacific Northwest, summer is a really nice season, usually. Some warm days, some almost hot days, a few hot days and then it breaks and goes to rain or coolish days. Something for everyone.
 I did not like the Alabama summer when I was in Army basic training...although I feel it is fair to say that they said it was the hottest summer they had had in 100 years! (1969, in case you're wondering.)
I did not mind, most of the time, the summers I spent in NJ because I spent a lot of time in the pool, at the lake, or at the beach when I was off duty.

But I hated, hated, hated the 5 years of NY summers. I lived in Queens and you'd go out at midnight and you'd watch to heat just shimmering off of the buildings and sidewalks. Again, not so bad during the working part of the day because of AC. But in out apartment, I lived in the bedroom where our only AC was.
DH kept saying, "But you told me that summer was your favorite season!"  NO! I said my favorite season back home was summer! Not where the humidity is almost 100%!

Years ago, I read a cartoon. It showed devils in he-- and one of them was saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity!" I kept that cartoon until it was not legible!

Well, that qualifies as my moaning! >:D

perpetua

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 02:46:13 AM »
Oh, that's a really good point, gmatoy.

I grew up by the coast. I loved summers there. I was at the beach every day o the school holidays. But here, inland, slap bang in the middle of the muggy city? Not so much.

Need to Change

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 05:54:08 AM »
Some folks (errrr ... I seem to be one of them) have real problems when "seasonal" changes from winter to summer, then back again, happen over less than a week's time.  We have no time to get acclimated, so every one of those 24- or 48-hour "seasons" feels miserable.

That said, I'll keep quiet now!

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 06:42:10 AM »
Here I was thinking that the weather was the only safe subject remaining to me.  Doh!

;)

ettiquit

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
I don't mind much when people complain about unexpected weather (snow in July, 90 degree day in February), but when there's nothing particularly surprising about it, I get annoyed.  I have a friend who hates the cold, so you can count on her to complain about it nearly every day in the winter.  It gets old.

I have an extremely low tolerance to heat, and it doesn't take much for me to become physically ill even in weather that many would find mild. I do occasionally complain, but more because it's preventing me from being able to do something I want to do.

Allyson

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 01:02:23 PM »
No matter what the weather is, someone won't like it, and someone else will, so I don't really understand some people who seem to get truly bothered when others like/dislike X weather. What I think gets over the top, regardless of what they are complaining about, is the *constant* whining. When you can't go five minutes without mentioning that it's hot/cold/rainy/snowy, it just gets tiring to listen to. Regardless of how justified it might be (and all complaints are justified to the complainer.)\

Also annoying is 'You can't say anything because *I* know what hot/cold/rainy really is!'

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 01:16:49 PM »
Reminds me of the cartoon someone put up in the office:  Shows a bunch of people in cubeville and a vending machine:  Control the office temperature for 10 minutes - $5.

One of my coworkers loves the heat and is always cold in the office.  Perimenopausal me is almost always on the warm side.  We joke that if both of us are uncomfortable, it must be fine for everyone else.

I'm a three H hater (hot, humid and hazy).  If summer could have nice sunny days in the low 20's C (70's F) with no humidity?  I'd be a happy camper.  Today, it is mid 80's with a humidex of over 100.  Blech.  I think complaining about the weather is a national pastime.  If it's raining, people want it to be sunny.  If it has been sunny, people want it to rain so they don't have to water (this is the one I complain about the most).  Same with snow, deep freezes, etc.

My one neighbour and I have a bit of a joke going.  They don't have much of a garden so they want drought in the summer so they don't have to mow the grass; I want lots of rain so I don't have to water.  Last summer, we had a 'drought' - about 4 weeks with little to no rain - and when it finally did start raining, they were joking about me dancing around in the yard in the rain.  Skyclad.  They weren't far wrong; when it started to rain, I threw on a pair of shorts and a raincoat and went out to move water from one rain barrel to another, because only one of them was under the downspout.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cabbageweevil

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
Also annoying is 'You can't say anything because *I* know what hot/cold/rainy really is!'

"There was a young man from Quebec
 Who got buried in snow to his neck.
 When they asked, 'Are you friz?'
 He replied, 'Yes, I is;
 But we don't call this cold in Quebec.' "

Roses

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »
Holland, you must live in my city.  I counter these comments with...

Oh but I just love the sun...
Oh but the rain makes everything so green...
Oh the cold, isn't it nice we have such distinct seasons...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 12:57:28 AM »
I've been known to tell people who complain about chilly weather in the fall (e.g., 50 degrees Fahrenheit), "Aw, c'mon, come February you'll be *praying* for weather like this!"

Not so much with the extreme heat, though. All I've got there is "Yep, this sucks. Thank heaven for air conditioning."

People are going to complain about the weather. It's a safe topic for small talk, so a lot of people default to it. If the weather isn't to their liking, that small talk often takes the form of p***ing and moaning. If you want to get people off the "all complaints, all the time" train, try sharing tips for coping with the weather and asking for theirs. ("Have you tried those XYZ hand warmers that go inside your gloves?" "When it's really hot I soak a bandana in ice water and wear it around my neck -- works like a charm!")
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 03:39:49 AM »
It is 3 38 am, 86 degrees, and my air went bye bye..may I pleasepleaseplease moan a little???   ;)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 05:05:20 AM »
Lol. Im in the UK.  This heat is not normal.  Hubby and I love it. We appreciate not everyone does but really it's the people who constantly moan about the weather regardless of what it is...drives us mad.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

perpetua

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »
Lol. Im in the UK.  This heat is not normal.  Hubby and I love it. We appreciate not everyone does but really it's the people who constantly moan about the weather regardless of what it is...drives us mad.

Constant moaning can be annoying no matter what the topic, but in this case, I think sometimes the people who don't like 'heat complainers' can take it too far. Sometimes, if someone states that they don't like the heat, the heat-lovers take it as some kind of personal affront against their own preference. I run up against this a lot. It isn't. It's just expressing a preference of their own.  My saying I don't like the heat doesn't diminish your capacity to enjoy it, but it's often taken like we're trying to 'ruin it' for all the heat lovers by 'complaining'. Even the title of this thread - 'moaners' - implies that.

It's like the heat lovers are allowed to say how much they love it but those who don't like it aren't allowed to express that preference. That can get really annoying. There's nothing wrong or rude in saying "Actually, I really don't care for this".

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »
I've been thinking about the opposite of this a lot, as I do every summer -- about how I feel it's *not* considered socially acceptable to complain about feeling uncomfortable or even ill in the heat in public, so I never do. 

[snip]

I think that, at least in most areas of the US, hot weather is something you are "supposed" to look forward to and agreeing about how nice it is is supposed to be a human bonding experience.  So, not being physically well-suited for it makes you an outcast.  People can be very judgmental about it. 

I've never noticed this with cold weather, though.  I don't think most people look down on those who can't handle cold temperatures well as being unfit or lazy for not wanting to participate in certain activities or be outdoors.

I think that complaining about being snowed in or how a heavy rain affects people's plans, etc., is a way for people to connect through small talk, and is looked upon as normal.

I agree. I dislike some summer weather, like the 100% humidity I woke up to this morning, and the 95 degrees predicted for today. It's going to be miserable. At least work has a/c, but I have one window unit at home. I will probably try to sleep in the living room, because sleep really didn't happen last night, not even with two fans running. 

I love winter weather. It's crisp, it's cold, my brain wakes up from the heat-induced coma of summer. But if you burst into work with a song on your lips and "Boy, it's beautiful out today!" in 30 degree weather, people think there's something wrong with you.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

wyliefool

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 08:59:05 AM »
My favorite season is summer. Wait, I need to qualify that! My favorite season where I grew up and now live is summer. In the Pacific Northwest, summer is a really nice season, usually. Some warm days, some almost hot days, a few hot days and then it breaks and goes to rain or coolish days. Something for everyone.
 I did not like the Alabama summer when I was in Army basic training...although I feel it is fair to say that they said it was the hottest summer they had had in 100 years! (1969, in case you're wondering.)
I did not mind, most of the time, the summers I spent in NJ because I spent a lot of time in the pool, at the lake, or at the beach when I was off duty.

But I hated, hated, hated the 5 years of NY summers. I lived in Queens and you'd go out at midnight and you'd watch to heat just shimmering off of the buildings and sidewalks. Again, not so bad during the working part of the day because of AC. But in out apartment, I lived in the bedroom where our only AC was.
DH kept saying, "But you told me that summer was your favorite season!"  NO! I said my favorite season back home was summer! Not where the humidity is almost 100%!

Years ago, I read a cartoon. It showed devils in he-- and one of them was saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity!" I kept that cartoon until it was not legible!

Well, that qualifies as my moaning! >:D

I have a friend from Manila. As in, the tropics. He swears that NYC in summer is worse than Manila.

We used to have a cartoon up in the office here w/ the punch line that the hot people and the cold people were about to declare war on each other.