Author Topic: Seasonal Moaners  (Read 8268 times)

z_squared82

Re: Seasonal Moaners
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »
"It could be worse. It could be snowing."

Yes, I seriously say that to people. All year round.

lowspark

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
As a rule, man's a fool
When it's hot he wants it cool
When it's cool he wants it hot
He always wants it what it's not

SlitherHiss

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
I think ignoring (or hiding) this is your best bet for online interactions. I can't see any sort of snarky rejoinder or (worse) arguing with them over the weather doing anyone any good in that kind of setting :)

If someone is complaining ad nauseum in person, I think you'd be alright to say "Yeah, it's hot. Can we not dwell on it?" or even "Listen, I know you hate the weather we're having, but please stop bringing it up every 2 seconds. It's bringing everyone down."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »
"It could be worse. It could be snowing."

Which made me think of this.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
I also hate the moaners. And I say this as the NE US is being enveloped in a heat wave, which won't break until the weekend, and one who is miserable in the heat. It makes me ill, and as someone who is hot when everyone else is comfortable, I'm doubly miserable. But, as long as my car has a/c that works, and my apt has a/c that works, I'm ok. I did whine a bit to my friend, who's house I'm staying at to watch her dogs, WHY did they have to choose the hottest week of hte summer to go away????

I much prefer the cold. It doesn't bother me, and when I am chilly, I can add layers. When its hot, i feel my body temp rise and am miserable.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
I do moan about this extreme heat because I have vertigo, and it is especially bad when it's hot/humid. When everything's spinning, it gets old fast.  :P OTOH, I like cool days. A winter day with temps in the 30? No problem!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
DH loves cold weather.  Loves it to the point where he gets excited to go walking in a blizzard.  I am loving this hot weather right now.  Can't explain it, but I love it.  We have AC so no problem in the house (ironically, I can't stand it if the house is too hot).

We always say we balance each other out.

As for the moaners?  Bean dip like crazy.

perpetua

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 04:22:11 PM »
Could someone clarify for me exactly what constitutes 'moaning'? Because calling someone a moaner for expressing a different opinion seems a little rude to me.

ettiquit

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »
Expressing a different opinion: "Oh, you like warm weather?  I prefer winter."

Moaner:  "I can't believe how cold it is!!  Why does it have to be soooo cold??  I hate winter!  Why can't it be sunny and 85 degrees every day?!!?!?"

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »
Expressing a different opinion: "Oh, you like warm weather?  I prefer winter."

Moaner:  "I can't believe how cold it is!!  Why does it have to be soooo cold??  I hate winter!  Why can't it be sunny and 85 degrees every day?!!?!?"

Good example. I am more of the first, so probably not a weather moaner.

perpetua

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »
I don't think the second example is rude, though. I don't see it as any different to "this hot weather is glorious! I sooooooooo love the sun! why can't it be 85 degrees all year round?"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
Could someone clarify for me exactly what constitutes 'moaning'? Because calling someone a moaner for expressing a different opinion seems a little rude to me.

Expressing a different opinion and 'moaning' ( or whinging ) is often a matter of tone and repetition.

The person who says, 'I hate it when it gets this hot.' or 'I'm sick of this  snow' is expressing an opinion. 

A healthy person who is almost prostrated by the heat after walking two blocks in the shade while wearing a sun hat, waving a fan and  drinking iced tea is 'moaning'. 

The person expressing an opinion is simply commenting on discomfort produced by the weather.  The  'moaner' is like a puppy with a big, new bone and won't let it go.   

Granted, some people have medical conditions that become more uncomfortable with extremes of heat or cold. These folks have a legitimate gripe.  It's the ones who don't have a legitimate gripe but an exaggerated sense of drama who make us want to strangle them. 

We're all hot.  We're all sweaty.  We all want this heat to break but it isn't going to do so for a few days.  Just shut up about it, already!

Allyson

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2013, 03:20:58 AM »
I don't think the second example is rude, though. I don't see it as any different to "this hot weather is glorious! I sooooooooo love the sun! why can't it be 85 degrees all year round?"

It's not *rude*, but it can be annoying to have to listen to repeated negativity. It's really a matter of degree--once in awhile, a good whine about the weather is fine, but when it's the same thing every day and multiple times a day, I kind of just want to yell 'we get it!' Same with complaints about anything, really.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2013, 04:10:43 AM »
Weak humour department: long ago in the UK, there was a corny radio comedy series with a perpetually-complaining character called Mona Lott...

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »
Yesterday, we had some wicked afternoon thunderstorms (WTG news channel..giving us a warning 20 minutes after the storm,,and a neighbors house had been hit by lightening!)  We are under the heat dome, so sweltering is all we have been doing.  I remarked on FB how wonderful the breeze was as the storms were blowing in and how I couldn't wait for some rain and there had to be the one who complained about the weather, while everyone else was remarking about the intensity and how great it felt.  Those are the moaners that can't even enjoy a storm.