Author Topic: Seasonal Moaners  (Read 6726 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Seasonal Moaners
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
I just saw a YouTube video on The Talk..a woman complaining about the weather.  it is quite possibly the funniest thing I have seen in a long long time!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »
Yesterday, we had some wicked afternoon thunderstorms (WTG news channel..giving us a warning 20 minutes after the storm,,and a neighbors house had been hit by lightening!)  We are under the heat dome, so sweltering is all we have been doing.  I remarked on FB how wonderful the breeze was as the storms were blowing in and how I couldn't wait for some rain and there had to be the one who complained about the weather, while everyone else was remarking about the intensity and how great it felt.  Those are the moaners that can't even enjoy a storm.

I love a summer storm that brings cooler breezes (unless I'm driving in it, which is no fun).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
I work with a population of moaners. It's annoying. This is Florida, it is hot and humid half the year. This is the wet season, so it rains nearly every day.

I vote ignore, even if the moaner is complaining every day.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2013, 03:11:01 PM »
The heatwave is over for the minute and one of our neighbour moaners (who moans about the weather whatever it's doing) was this morning lamenting the end of the boiling heat. I smiled and said "It's coming back! " Last week she was talking about how she couldn't stand the heat lol.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

veronaz

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2013, 03:38:53 PM »
I think it’s normal to make a comment about the weather.  If it’s bitterly cold, oppressively hot and humid, or even if it’s a gorgeous day ………someone saying something about it doesn’t bother me.  Sometimes it’s a way to start a conversation.  No biggie.

Just the other day a friend called and asked how I was doing.  I replied “Trying to stay cool.”  I see nothing wrong with that and I don’t see myself s a “seasonal moaner”.

I don’t care to hear weather complaints on a daily basis, but if someone is prone to doing that I just say “Yeah, it’s summer for sure!” and move on.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:25:56 PM by veronaz »

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
Ah you see people commenting when it's extremes bothers me not one whit  I hate the cold weather,  that's a fact. I love summer.  I understand people who love snow...really I do. When it snows I suck it up and deal. I sympathise with folks who also hate the cold. But oy, we're in the UK!

The people who confuse me are those who grumble when it's hot and grumble when it's cooler!! I know several people who do this (not friends, just people we know!). It just confounds me...do they want their own personal weather system?!!

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
I think it veers into rudeness when people question your sanity because you prefer a certain climate.  I'm a heat lover.  I can't tell you how often I head, "What is wrong with you?  This heat is awful!  This humidity is gross.  You must be crazy!"

I think if you're going to complain about the weather, you should own the discomfort.  Instead of "This cold weather is awful," say "The cold weather doesn't agree with me.  I'm looking forward to warmer temperatures." 

perpetua

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
I think it veers into rudeness when people question your sanity because you prefer a certain climate.  I'm a heat lover.  I can't tell you how often I head, "What is wrong with you?  This heat is awful!  This humidity is gross.  You must be crazy!"

But how is that any different to "What's wrong with you? This heat is glorious! Are you crazy?"

One seems acceptable, the other doesn't.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
It's all in the delivery.  Close friends, joking,  both parties know it? No problem there.

Someone you just met asking if you're crazy?  No. Rude.

A know your audience type thing!

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »

But how is that any different to "What's wrong with you? This heat is glorious! Are you crazy?"

I believe both are unacceptable.

kckgirl

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »
I'm melting!
Maryland

daen

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

For me, the determining factor is negativity.  If someone is being negative (ie I hate this heat),  especially when it's an ongoing refrain within the conversation or over multiple conversations, I consider it moaning.

When someone  questions my sanity or tells me I'm wrong for my preferences, as in perpetua's example, I consider it rude.

perpetua

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2013, 04:53:59 PM »
I really dislike the notion that nobody is ever allowed to say anything negative about anything without being accused of moaning.

Often, those of us who don't like the heat are labelled moaners and get the "but it's glorious, are you crazy?" treatment simply for daring to dislike it. I find both of those just as rude.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
No...not so. A dislike of the weather doesn't constitute moaning necessarily.

This thread really is about those who moan whatever the weather is doing! The people who complain it's too hot and then in autumn it's too sunny for the time of year,  then winter is too snowy or rainy and spring is just too cold and arewe ever going to gget a summer?

daen

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »

For me, the determining factor is negativity.  If someone is being negative (ie I hate this heat),  especially when it's an ongoing refrain within the conversation or over multiple conversations, I consider it moaning.

When someone  questions my sanity or tells me I'm wrong for my preferences, as in perpetua's example, I consider it rude.
I really dislike the notion that nobody is ever allowed to say anything negative about anything without being accused of moaning.

Often, those of us who don't like the heat are labelled moaners and get the "but it's glorious, are you crazy?" treatment simply for daring to dislike it. I find both of those just as rude.

Wrote a lengthy response, which boiled down to:

You're right.  A negative statement is just that.
I should have said that moaning is (to me) conversationally dwelling on the negatives, to the exclusion of much or all else.

Or what Hollanda said.