Author Topic: To see 3D or not to see 3D...  (Read 4331 times)

kitchcat

• Flickr
To see 3D or not to see 3D...
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
I've never been in this situation, but I'm curious about what the best way to handle it would be.

When I go to the movies, I never pay to see 3D movies for a simple reason. I wear glasses, which means I have to wear the 3D glasses on top of my regular ones. This never works very well and if I so much as tilt my head slightly, the 3D glasses fall off. I have to sit straight up, perfectly still, and even then, something about the double glasses makes the 3D effects look rather wonky (things look very hazy + double vision). If I take off my regular glasses, my vision is fuzzy. Essentially, I can't enjoy a 3D movies, so I opt not to see them. Why pay $5 extra on top of a $10 movie ticket for a less-enjoyable experience? DH doesn't particularly care for 3D movies regardless.

What we do if we went to the movies with friends who DO want to see the movie in 3D? Are they supposed to "downgrade" to the regular movie since I can't comfortably watch the 3D version? If it was the same price as a regular ticket, I might be willing to suck it up and go, but I am not okay with paying extra for a feature that actually degrades the experience for me. Do I suck it up and pay for the 3D? Do friends pay the price difference for my ticket?

The obvious answer is to simply not see the movie with friends who want to see 3D, but I'm curious what would be the next-best option would be.
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

NyaChan

Re: To see 3D or not to see 3D...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
I have the same problem as you - I wear contacts but it still makes my head hurt and dizzy and I don't enjoy the experience at all.  This is something to address ahead of time when picking the movie time. It helps that theaters often stagger the movies so that the 3D version and normal version aren't starting at the same time, so when deciding when to go, you should know which one the group is planning on.  I've never had a problem with saying "I get headaches and a little dizzy in the 3D movies, so how about the regular one at 7?"  I've yet to have someone try to insist, but it does of course help to be proactive as it is always easier to make plans to suit yourself rather than change plans people have made already to suit yourself.   

Once the conversation goes into the "ooh 3D!"
"That would be so cool. We can make 6:45." 
"I hear the special effects are really awesome!"
"That works for me. Let's meet at - "
"Uh, actually, I can't sit through 3D movies very well..."

So rather than be Debbie Downer, bring it up right at the start when you know you are planning the outing.  If for some reason you show up without having decided what to watch, I'd let them know that you can't watch 3D movies and just purchase your ticket.  Odds are they'll just purchase the same, but I wouldn't hold it against them if they chose to watch the 3D version instead.  It isn't as if you can really talk during the movie anyways right?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »
I've never been to a 3D movie.  Do theaters show both versions in the same building?  Can you all watch the different versions and meet up afterwards?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:45:53 AM »
I've never been to a 3D movie.  Do theaters show both versions in the same building?  Can you all watch the different versions and meet up afterwards?

They're usually *not* at the same time.  It's actually pretty difficult (at least in my area) to find any movies that are showing at the exact same time.  The theaters stagger movie start times to manage the crowds.

OP, it's probably best to bring it up ASAP that 3D movies don't work for you.

TylerBelle

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
I don't get why all these recent movies are being made for 3D. Unless the particular film is made where there are a lot of things, objects, movements, etc., springing out towards the audience in an almost over-the-top way, there's really not much purpose for it.  Such as I saw The Hobbit in 3D and I think I would have enjoyed it just as much and not missed anything had I seen it in the regular fashion.

Anyhoo, as pps have mentioned, I would speak up and tell friends who want the see the show in 3D that it's uncomfortable for you. For myself, if it came down to it, I'd prefer to see the movie alone and be comfortable than otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:01:12 PM by TylerBelle »
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »
Well I don't think they should be *expected* to downgrade, but I know I at least personally would choose to go with a friend before watching in 3D, and I think a lot of people are the same. I would just say upfront that you can't manage 3D movies because you need your regular glasses and can't really wear both and have it turn out, and them decide what to do from there. Maybe they'll want to see a different movie with you and save that one for 3D, maybe they don't care all that much about 3D, but there's no way of knowing without telling them and I don't think there's any reason to feel about about not being able to watch 3D.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
I dislike 3D as well and I will state that just as I would state that I don't want to see a particular movie. It is just one more factor in planning the outing.

There is just one movie that 3D actually added something to: Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

Curious Cat

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
I'd pick another movie to see!  I can't watch 3d movies they give me a migraine so if there is something in 3d that my friend's want to see I'll just skip it (or go see the 2d version on my own/with another friend who doesn't care or has already seen it in 3d) 

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
I have the same problem with 3D..glasses don't fit over mine and I am blind without them so it makes it difficult.  3 of us went to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D..2 of us wear glasses, third didn't.  He was the only one that didn't have a headache after!  Just tell your friends ahead of time that 3D is a problem with you because of your glasses.  As long as you are willing to give up going out because the majority wants 3D, then it is not a problem saying you want to see it the regular way.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »
I don't get why all these recent movies are being made for 3D. Unless the particular film is made where there are a lot of things, objects, movements, etc., springing out towards the audience in an almost over-the-top way, there's really not much purpose for it.  Such as I saw The Hobbit in 3D and I think I would have enjoyed it just as much and not missed anything had I seen it in the regular fashion.

Anyhoo, as pps have mentioned, I would speak up and tell friends who want the see the show in 3D that it's uncomfortable for you. For myself, if it came down to it, I'd prefer to see the movie alone and be comfortable than otherwise.

I saw the Hobbit in 3D in the theater and have also watched it in 2D (on DVD). IMO, the 3D really enhanced the movie, despite its subtlety. Of course, I enjoyed it in 2D as well, because it's a good movie, but the 3D wasn't a useless gimmick for me. Same for a lot of other recent 3D movies--I don't have a direct 3D to 2D comparison for most, but I really like their use of 3D. It's also one of the motivations for seeing the movies in the theater--if I don't see it in 3D in the theater, I probably never will, since I don't have a 3D TV and don't intend to spring for one anytime soon.

IMO, anyone with strong feelings on the 3D vs non-3D choice should mention this as soon as possible when making movie plans. Mentioning it at the theater when buying tickets would be IMO way too late. Also, a friend who wants to see the other choice suggesting seeing the movie separately is a reasonable option. It would be inappropriate to expect/demand you to attend a 3D showing that you can't watch comfortably. However, if they say, e.g., "I really want to see it in 3D. Maybe we should see it separately and go to the movies together some other time," then I think your choice is to either accept that or go to the 3D showing if it's important to you to the movies with them.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 05:18:22 PM »
I also cannot watch any movies in 3D due to wearing glasses etc. I'd simply find out up front, while making the plans, what the others would like. 3D or not; and if they are set on seeing it in 3D, then I'd pass. But I'm the type who has to plan every detail down to the nth degree, so I'd always know everyone's intentions before we even chose a movie, or got to the theater.

And in the past, when friends have asked, hey do you want to see movie x, in 3D, its supposed to be fabulous, I've simply declined. If its something I really really want to see, I'll either go with someone else, or by myself, some other time.

magician5

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »
"but I'm curious what would be the next-best option would be."

Don't go. See your friends another time, when you won't annoy them and they won't annoy you. Or else arrange to meet for drinks after the movie, when you can listen to them complain about their headaches and about how the 3-D wasn't worth it, and you can just keep repeating "I know ... poor baby ... I know..."
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Possum

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »
I prefer to see movies in 3D, but assuming I'm at the theater, standing there with my friends, and we didn't decide ahead of time for it to be a 3D showing, unless everyone wants to see 3D, we don't see 3D.  It's really unpleasant for some people (and I have a friend who is blind in one eye, so it's pointless for her!), and me getting a little bit of extra enjoyment is certainly not worth making anyone else in the group have a bad time.  I might be disappointed, but if 3D was that important to me, I should've made sure up front that was the plan.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »
"but I'm curious what would be the next-best option would be."

Don't go. See your friends another time, when you won't annoy them and they won't annoy you. Or else arrange to meet for drinks after the movie, when you can listen to them complain about their headaches and about how the 3-D wasn't worth it, and you can just keep repeating "I know ... poor baby ... I know..."

Why would you assume that the friends will regret seeing the movie in 3D?  ??? Some people don't think the 3D is worth it, or suffer from headaches from it. Other people love it and suffer no ill effects. The bolded sounds like you think the OP's friends are too foolish to know whether they like 3D movies or not. If that's what you meant, it's awfully condescending. The OP should avoid 3D movies because that is the right decision for her. That doesn't mean that seeing 3D movies is the wrong decision for everyone.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
I think you should only suck it up and see the 3D if it's really important to you to see that particular movie with the friends who only want to see 3D. (Also, you might have luck securing the 3D glasses to your own glasses with a little bit of scotch tape or some small rubber bands, which would limit the annoyance of that part of the experience.)