Author Topic: s/o weirdness while traveling: Hey I know you!  (Read 2807 times)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Re: s/o weirdness while traveling: Hey I know you!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
My cousin, then college-age, and her best friend decided to take the train into Canada for a long weekend (we're in Michigan, and package weekends including train travel are pretty common). They got to talking to a group of women on the train and learned that one of the women was my uncle's ex-girlfriend from long before he met and married my aunt. She bought my cousin and the roommate a soda on the train and told a few fun stories.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
When I was in HS as a freshman, our youth group took a trip to Colorado for a week. Amazing trip, lots of stories. I got lost with three other girls on the top of a mountain (we were trying to hike to see the sunrise...oops) and got to tell the story in front of the whole camp.

Flash forward to my senior year. I went with another group of kids to a leadership seminar in northern Michigan. This seminar drew a lot of people from all over, so there was a campfire with a typical 'getting to know you' chat. I sat down next to a guy from Illinois and we started talking about other trips we'd taken, one of them being, you guessed it, to Colorado, back in '99. He says "Oh, I've been to Colorado too!" Same year, same city, same camp....same week. "And the singer..." "Peder Eide! Yeah and he made up a song on the spot about..." "The Chungamunga chicken!" "And there were these girls that got really lost and scared the counselors..."

"Er...that was me and my friends."He gave me this look:  :o We were both pretty boggled. The world isn't all that big after all, sometimes.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »
While working in the correctional industry, I saw an inmate who looked uncomfortably familiar. Turns out, it was one of the school ne'er-do-wells from about a year or two ahead of me in high school. Doesn't look like life got much better for the poor slob after school... Thankfully, he didn't know who I was back then, and my surname had changed, so he didn't recognize me. Whew!   :o

TOLady

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »
I travelled down south one year as a single (DH couldn't make it) and met a woman from a different resort on a day trip and we buddied up for the day and visited each other each others resorts for the remainder of the stay. We come from totally different Provinces, never exchanged emails or talked to each other afterwards.

3 years later, I travelled down again with my Mom. Took a totally different day trip and a woman sits down next to us and picks up the conversation almost where we left off 3 years later. Different times of the year as well.

This time we've exchanged information and are great FB friends. We're trying to "on purpose" meet up again later this year down south again.

Promise

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »
I was replacing the director of a clinic because of her leaving to be a SAHM. During training she shared her maiden name and the small town she was from. I asked if she was related to X from that town, who was my mom's first cousin. Sure enough X was her grandmother, which made us second cousins once removed. I told my  mom about it and she found a photo with my Grandmother and her sisters, including the ex-director's Great-Grandmother. I shared the photo with her.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »
We were in Dartford, Kent in the UK recently on holiday (from the northeast US.) A girl in line behind me while I was waiting for my fish and chips said something in a distinctly American accent about British people, and when I turned and glanced at her she thought I was insulted and apologized. I laughed and said no worries, I'm American, too. Turns out she was starting her freshman year of college at a university less than an hour from our home in Massachusetts in September. She must be there now! Not a huge coincidence but we thought it was funny, especially since she was from the west coast.

Jules1980

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 04:01:45 AM »
I was on Vacation in Gatlinburg, TN with my whole family when our waitress asked me if I was Jules (MadienName).  Turns out she had gone to school with me but was a few years younger.

I no longer live in my home state.  A few months ago I was when a store in a nearby town when someone called my name.  I turned around, expecting to see a co-worker or such.  It was a girl I went to church with when I was a kid.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »
I've had several traveling encounters.
About 4 years after HS graduation Im at Disneyland and I sit down next to a guy from my Texas HS graduating class of 120 students.

In Perth, Australia I hear my name being called and it's a friends husband who I haven't seen in 10 years.

At a dinner party in Charleston, SC my Texas home town was mentioned and another guest says his brother lived there and thought his nephew might be close to my age and was i that Hmmmm. Why yes, I did date your nephew in HS.

Renting a lake house with family,BIL comes in and says he met the family renting the home next door. And coincidentally, he went to HS with the mom. He goes on to ask DD if she knows her DD because he thinks she's in the same grade as DD at the same middle school. DD squeals and goes running outside to find one of her best friends running over to our house.

But the worst was on a plane back from one of our company offices. Nice lady next to me starts chatting. She discovers I work for firm she used to work for and after further chatting about my role she tells me "Oh gosh, you were the Manager they sent to our office to lay off all of us 5 years ago."  She was so sweet about it and went on to say it had all worked out well for her. But most uncomfortable encounter I'd ever had.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
OK, I remembered another one :-).

1995, I played Nancy in Oliver in a small town in Massachusetts.  As those of you who do small town community theatre know, shows with kids can be really popular because they draw such a huge audience of family members.  Therefore the director took just about every kid who auditioned - there must have been 30 little kids in the cast.

About 10 years later I had moved away and met some old work friends for dinner at a restaurant in another small town in Massachusetts, a good couple hours away from the first town.  The young waitress (late teens, early 20s) comes to our table to take our order, gets to me, looks at me, and says, "Hey - weren't you Nancy in Oliver at Small Town Theatre Group?"

Turns out she had been one of Fagin's kids.

Army Mom

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »
On a float trip, middle of nowhere and 200 miles and 10 years from my very large high school, came around a bend and saw a guy sitting on the riverbank fishing. He actually said the thread title "hey I know you!" Yep, graduated high school together.

DS was on the other side of the world and ran into a girl from high school, in a combat zone in the middle of the night. Since its a tiny town and a tiny school, that one was really cool!

rain

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »
I once worked for a company that did surveys for TV & radio stations  - for some we called people who had participated in the past in other surveys; for others they only totally random people

I had two odd cases

1st -  called totally random guy ... turns out he worked with a friend I'd lost touch with (friend & I got to catch up with each other)

2nd - called previous survey participant ... years later I met her family (she had a very, very unique first name ... we didn't get last names)
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »

DS was on the other side of the world and ran into a girl from high school, in a combat zone in the middle of the night. Since its a tiny town and a tiny school, that one was really cool!

I've had that one happen. I was rotated in country at the same time as my hometown guard unit. It was awesome being with my buddies, though they did startle me when we first saw each other. Bob is a prankster, and snuck up behind me and covered my eyes when I wasn't paying attention. I didn't know who it was... jerk  :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
First summer out of college my husband and I were living in Casper, Wyoming.  We decided to take a spur of the moment trip to Yellowstone National Park, which is mostly in Wyoming.  We drove there and randomly chose a camping site.  As we were setting up camp, the people from the campsite across the road are pointing and laughing at us.  They were college mates of ours, having driven up from New Mexico earlier that week.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 11:41:26 PM »
While I was in college, I went to my cousin's wedding out of state. At the reception I ran into one of my good friends from high school. While my cousin was the bride, her cousin was the groom!