Author Topic: Have you watched the video of Dustin Hoffman talking about Tootsie  (Read 827 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
In the main EHell page there is a video of Dustin Hoffman talking about the experience of playing a woman in the movie Tootsie and the effect it had on him as a man.  His honesty was amazing.  It left me with a feeling of sadness.  I hope you watch it and I'd be interested in your reaction to it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Saw it last week. I love it. Very touching and enlightening as to how he approached the role. I admire him more than ever now.

Showed it to my (young) coworker. She asked me what Tootsie was and if it was a new movie out right now. Ok, I feel old now! ::)

faithlessone

I thought it was brilliant.

I was particularly pleased by his honesty - the way he regrets that there were probably loads of really interesting women that he ignored in his past because they didn't fit this generalised standard of beauty. It's so refreshing to hear a man admit that, and admit it genuinely. I also liked that he admitted that he imagined he would make a more beautiful woman, and that he was disappointed when the make-up people basically said that was as good as he was going to get.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
I saw the video last week and thought it was very moving. 

The odd part is that, at the time of 'Tootsie', I knew a woman who closely resembled the character.  She was considered quite attractive. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
I really liked that movie. One of the funniest lines was (IIRC) about moving the camera far back enough to make Tootsie look good. The answer: Cleveland.  :) The video is very touching, and I think we could, as women, also remind ourselves that maybe we've missed meeting some amazing men because we judged by how attractive they were.

perpetua

One of my favourite movies too, my favourite line being the one about the off-Broadway endive salad, never fails to make me laugh (in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHqiipcw6g). I was a little bit in love with Michael Dorsey, I think.

Saw the video last week and was really touched by it.

The video is very touching, and I think we could, as women, also remind ourselves that maybe we've missed meeting some amazing men because we judged by how attractive they were.

This is a very, *very* good point.

Jocelyn

There's not just a social impact- there was a research study released earlier this year that concluded that the guilt or innocent of a female defendant was correlated with her weight- slender women being perceived as more innocent than overweight women. They did mock trials, with all the same evidence, the only change being the weight of the woman portraying the defendant.
Now that's scary.