Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

I forgot this phrase today. Argh!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Luci45:

--- Quote from: NyaChan on July 14, 2013, 02:30:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: faithlessone on July 14, 2013, 09:50:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: lorelai on July 14, 2013, 04:09:06 AM ---Meanwhile evil me wanted to say: Actually we might not be able to have children and it's heartbreaking to think about, but thanks for reminding me! Maybe you should keep your fat mouth shut.

--- End quote ---

Sadly, with some people, even this doesn't work.

My best friend had a lot of medical problems when she was younger, and despite the fact that she now looks and feels healthy, she's been told that she can never have children. It would be highly unlikely that she could conceive, and even if, by some miracle, she could, her body isn't capable of carrying to term. However, she and her fiancÚ are pretty clear that they don't want children yet. (They're only 23).

This doesn't stop various people, from women at her church to her own aunt, telling her that "God will grant her a baby" or cooing about the blessings of surrogacy and adoption.

So yeah, some people just have to be bean dipped forever.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes, I once pointed this out to someone who I witnessed questioning another person.  Their response?  "Oh I would have heard if it were something like THAT."  There's no winning with these people.  >:(

--- End quote ---

Oh, dear! How self-entitled! When we were having reproductive problems, we didn't tell anyone except my doctor. I had been told I possibly couldn't have children because of a childhood accident, then we did lose some pregnancies, and we just didn't tell anyone. (We ended up with 2 healthy children, by the way.)

Twik:
I think the confirmed gossip really doesn't believe that he or she is anything unusual - they would expect that all news would be immediately broadcast, just as it would if they were in possession of it. The idea that some people simply won't tell never crosses their minds.

BeagleMommy:
What an absolute boor!  I would have been so tempted to say "Excuse me, how are my reproductive plans any of your business?".  I wouldn't actually have said it, but I would have wanted to.

cwm:

--- Quote from: BeagleMommy on July 16, 2013, 12:54:05 PM ---What an absolute boor!  I would have been so tempted to say "Excuse me, how are my reproductive plans any of your business?".  I wouldn't actually have said it, but I would have wanted to.

--- End quote ---

I'll admit, I've actually said something like this before, but not about myself.

When sis was married, years ago, people would start asking me when she was going to start a family. I think I was at some sort of family event and she and her husband couldn't make it or something. People kept asking and wouldn't stop, until I finally said in a loud voice "My sister does not discuss her reproductive plans with me. If you're so interested in what's going on in her marriage bed, you have her email address and phone number and can ask her yourself."

Not my proudest moment, but it shut EVERYONE up asking about her plans for children, and I've never had anyone ask about my plans either.

Minmom3:
Heh heh heh.  Brilliant!  Bet some folks took notes on how to shut it down the next time it came up for them!   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version