Author Topic: Christmas Gifts from a Deceased Individual  (Read 3313 times)

Texas Mom

Christmas Gifts from a Deceased Individual
« on: July 14, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »
I recently had the dubious honor of cleaning out a beloved relative's abode after his death.  He was on a fixed income and prided himself on giving the "perfect gift" to people he loved for Christmas.  After he bought it, he would wrap and tag it.

In the top of a closet was a "Christmas Box" with several gifts in them.

Should I get them to the recipients now?

Thanks!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Christmas Gifts from a Deceased Individual
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »
I think I'd wait until Christmas and give them to the recipients then.  But I'd also include a note with the gift that explains how you came upon the gifts.

But I just thought of something:  Unless there is a gift for everyone there would have normally been one for, maybe you should give them privately.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »
I say yes, and I don't think you need to wait until Christmas. If the recipients choose to wait until Christmas to OPEN them, that's on them.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
Yes.

That was the intended destination. Most will be warmed by his thoughtfulness, even though it may seem to momentarilly bring back the grief.

I wouldn't wait until family gift giving next winter because some people, selfishly, may be hurt that their gifts hadn't been there yet. This is one happening that equal and fair do not apply.

(Not arguing with Shoo. I wrote at the same time. If there is no family gift time and gifts are just handed out when you happen to see people over the Holidays, then I might wait until then.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.  Clearing out the home of a deceased relative is never easy.  It's bitter-sweet at best.

From the OP, it sounds like there aren't a great many of these gifts.  I would suggest contacting each of the intended recipients and asking how s/he'd like to handle the situation. 

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »
If there isn't one for everyone, then I wouldn't do it at Christmas. I would contact the people now and let them know that he left them something.

Texas Mom

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
He had purchased 3 gifts out of 10-15 he normally gave.

I'll contact the recipients, explain the situation to them & get them delivered so I can complete that task.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

EllenS

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »
I think this would be a sweet remembrance of his personality and how he liked to plan for gifts so far ahead.

mspallaton

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I would definitely send them with an explanatory note.

My grandmother did the same thing.  She passed away a few years ago and had already bought birthday and Christmas presents for my dad.  He's the type that would've been very emotional if he were surprised by the gifts at those holidays so when we were sorting through everything after her passing and found them, my mom told him right away.  He ended up deciding to wait for the holiday to open them, but it was his choice.  If your family members are anything like my dad (wanting to choose how and when they share their emotions), I would recommend telling them the gifts exist and giving them the choice of how and when to receive them.