Author Topic: Were We Rude?  (Read 5590 times)

Figgie

Were We Rude?
« on: July 14, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »
We stopped at a home improvement store to pick up two new storm door sweeps.  This store is set up so that the check-outs are right next to each other with one big, open aisle between each two check-out stands.  Not like a grocery store where you have to back out to change lines...in this case you just have to take a couple of steps sideways to move to an open check-out stand.

The line we got into had a gentleman ahead of us checking out and the check-out directly to our right wasn't open.  The unopened check-out was also a six items or less check-out.  It was taking the gentleman forever because he waited until everything was checked out and bagged before he started looking for his checkbook and refused to let the cashier take the check until he had entered it into his checkbook and subtracted it.

So, when the lane to our right opened up, I motioned to my spouse and we stepped over to it to check out.  There was no one behind us and no one near us when we did that.

Unfortunately, it angered the person who was writing the check and he turned to my spouse and told him that he was too impatient and that he had almost finished and there was no reason for him to move to a new check-out.

My spouse looked at him, didn't reply and went to complete our transaction.  The gentleman continued grumbling, but honestly, he was taking so much time (since he interrupted his balancing his checkbook to complain) that we were done and out the store door before he finished.

I don't think we were wrong to step sideways to the newly opened check-out, but being that it upset the gentleman ahead of us at the original check-out, I thought I would ask at Ehell and see what the consensus is.  :)

SuperMartianRobotGirl

Re: Were We Rude?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:18:46 PM »
No, it isn't rude to move to a faster lane because someone is being slow, and he should have minded his own business. It sounds like he enjoys the power of making people wait or something.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
I would have moved, too. I'll never understand people who wait until the last second to fish for their checkbook (and paying by check seems to take longer, anyway).  :o

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »
He sounds like he wanted something to fuss about. No, you weren't rude.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
You were fine.  Rude would have been if your SO had said something like, 'We aren't impatient; you are taking fricking forever!'   ;)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »
IMO, he was the rude one. If he's like that in a retail store, what's he like in a restaurant, or even at home. He was enjoying his little power play and became upset when you wouldn't bow to his every whim.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
I think he was really self-conscious about how long he was taking. And I think a part of him knew that people might think he was out of line for taking so long.

Do you think your impatience with him had telegraphed to him, that he'd picked it up?

But anyway, you weren't rude. It would actually have been sort of rude to stand there and wait for his checkout, when there was already a clerk standing at the new one. I don't think it would have been good form to refuse to go to the empty register, actually. Not completely rude (the way he was w/ his comment), but sort of "bad form."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 06:33:07 PM »
Even if he wasn't going particularly slowly and a new checkout just happened to open before he was done, I still would've moved. It's about you wanting to check out, not a commentary on him!

acicularis

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
Why on earth should he care which checkout you go to? How did that affect him in any way? How is it rude to go to the next available checkout?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:30:09 PM by acicularis »

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
You followed the Number One Rule, which is Don't Engage the Crazy. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

veronaz

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
You can move to another checkout lane if you want to, for any reason or for no reason, and you don't need to explain yourself to another customer.

ettiquit

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
I always move if another register opens up.  I have no idea how that could be construed as rude.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »
I don't see how it could ever possibly ever be his business or concern about which line you use for checkout.  I love the way your husband handled it. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »
I think the new lane was opened for you precisely because the man in front of you was simply taking too long and the store didn't want you to be delayed any longer.

What would have been rude would have been to NOT change lanes! 

I'm sure he knew he was slow and holding everyone else up, but people like that can't admit that it's their fault so it's always someone elses fault or a flaw in their character -- impatience in this case.  Good for you and your DH for not playing his silly game.

Just ignore the Mr. Grumbles of the world.  They're not worth a sixteenth of an inch of brain space, even for a second.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 03:38:28 AM »
Why would you even think you were rude here? This seems like one of those things that shouldn't even be an issue.