Author Topic: S/O the tai chi thread (elsewhere): Would this be rude?  (Read 1825 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
S/O the tai chi thread (elsewhere): Would this be rude?
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:09:39 AM »
Hi, all:

The tai chi thread in the coffee break forum made me think of this.

I've done tai chi extremely off and on-I took it up in China and found it really relaxing.  Then I got out of it, mostly because I have no instructor (or I haven't looked  ::)). 

Now we have Chinese neighbors-a young 20-something couple, their baby, and probably the husband's parents.  They are very nice people, although the grandparents do not speak English.  The young couple work and are more fluent. 

I often see the grandfather out in our parking lot doing his tai chi.  Would it be rude to approach the younger couple when I see them to ask if I can join the grandfather when he's out there? 

Dorrie78

Re: S/O the tai chi thread (elsewhere): Would this be rude?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:11 AM »
Unless there is a language  barrier issue, I'd ask the grandfather directly if you could join him. Why go through the younger couple at all?

snowdragon

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »
Ask, by all means.

It is perfectly acceptable. Just ask them to ask their grandfather.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
I might ask his children if they think he likes doing it alone or would he mind if you asked to join him.  That way you are not putting him on a spot if he prefers to do it by himself.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:36:09 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »
I agree it might be rude to ask to join the GF.  It may be his.solemn quiet time and he may feel you expect instruction.  Asking puts them in an awkward situation.

Isisnin

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
Perhaps if you start a conversation about Tai Chi with the young couple, they might choose to speak to their grandfather.

E.g. explain that you used to do it and are interested in starting again, do they know of a group you can join? 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
I agree it might be rude to ask to join the GF.  It may be his.solemn quiet time and he may feel you expect instruction.  Asking puts them in an awkward situation.

I agree, I think he could feel pretty uncomfortable saying no.  Is there a reason you don't do Tai Chi on your own?  If you do need his help with it, then I think that's asking too much -- it would seem like treating him as an instructor without paying him.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
I hadn't thought of that  :-[; it's absolutely not what I was wanting.  They may know of a Chinese expat club in the city who would have the tai chi information.  I also have a friend whom I took Chinese lessons from, and she might know of good beginner's DVD's.  I might tell the couple I enjoy seeing the grandfather out there; he's very graceful and flexible.

EllenS

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »
I might ask his children if they think he likes doing it alone or would he mind if you asked to join him.  That way you are not putting him on a spot if he prefers to do it by himself.

I like this approach. 

Miss Tickle

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
I'm so jealous! I bet they'd all be tickled pink if you asked to "be instructed in" tai chi by Grandfather. Even better if you offer to pay. You don't need to speak the same language, I'm sure he'll teach you. ;D

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
I hadn't thought of that  :-[; it's absolutely not what I was wanting.  They may know of a Chinese expat club in the city who would have the tai chi information.  I also have a friend whom I took Chinese lessons from, and she might know of good beginner's DVD's.  I might tell the couple I enjoy seeing the grandfather out there; he's very graceful and flexible.

I think that's a lovely idea -- totally fine to start a conversation with them about tai chi, and you never know where it would lead.  I think your intentions are great, just keep it as chat about your experiences with tai chi rather than unintentional pressure. 

I've never done tai chi myself but I do enjoy watching it, particularly if someone is very graceful and focused.

Clumsy Ninja

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:50 PM »
I've done Tai Chi for about four years now (Taoist Tai Chi, we are an international organization with a lot of chapters.. maybe one is near you) and I can say that nearly everyone involved is very welcoming.

I'd approach the older gentleman myself just before he begins. It would be pretty obvious by hand gestures that you were interested and you could offer up a tentative 'nee how' which is a phonetic spelling of 'hello' in Chinese.

Tai Chi is a wonderful practice and when doing it with others, well there is a different energy that is just a lot of fun. It has helped me with a lot of medical issues and has turned into an activity I love which is surprising since most of my life has been spent as decidedly non-athletic lol.