Author Topic: You paid HOW much for THAT?  (Read 8370 times)

Jocelyn

Re: You paid HOW much for THAT?
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2013, 10:57:02 PM »
Evil Me would say 'Oh, I got it at that thrift shop over in City X (name a town at a goodly distance from where we are). That one on Main street, that has all the great buys. I go over there several times a month, because they have all this great designer stuff at rock bottom prices. This Coach purse was only $5, can you believe it? The biggest bargains, I swear.'

It should go without saying that there is no great little thrift shop in City X. But she can spend her weekends trying to find it.  >:D

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2013, 11:24:22 PM »
Anytime I get asked how much something cost (and it's not one of the rare times it's actually appropriate to the situation), I put my pinkie finger to my lips and say in my best Dr. Evil voice, "One million dollars!"

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
I'd say (sweetly), "Oh hon, it's not good form to discuss money". (I might also be tempted to add "Didn't your parents ever teach you that?")

Marguette

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2013, 01:19:41 AM »
H: “How much, bla, bla,”
J: [attempt at bean dip]
H: “No seriously, it costs $BigAmount. I would never spend that!”
J: [with hearty enthusiasm, as though it’s a compliment] “I’ll bet you wouldn’t!”
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:28:32 AM by Marguette »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
"I didn't ask where the person who gave this to me got it or how much they paid."

Even if I gave it to myself....

Except for the one Coach bag I found at the Goodwill near DD's house and she promptly bought it from me to make SURE that it was hers to keep...it was less than $7 USA, with the taxes.

I found another bag that was a bit larger made of Italian leather (according to the tag sewn into the striped lining) earlier this year that looks to be unused - I just haven't gone anywhere where I am dressed up enough to carry an Italian leather bag....I keep looking for a little bit larger Coach bag (I don't recognize most "designer" names - I'm not much of a fashionista at fifty-plus, I'm more about what I like and what is comfortable).  And holds the "stuff" that I want to have on hand while I'm out & about.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

snowfire

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »
I rather like: "Well, bless your heart. Didn't your Mama teach you it isn't polite to ask about finances."  Said in a pitying tone.

June24

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'll try out some of these and let you know how it goes!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »
My dear old grandmother used to say "Money and fine words" whenever somebody asked her the price of something.

Janice

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
I like the silly approach myself. If enough bystanders start laughing, Hyacinth may get the hint that she's being ridiculous. Or not. At any rate, it makes her terrible manners amusing rather embarrassing to everyone around her.

Evil Janice would try looking puzzled and saying "Cost? Money is the root of all evil. I only use the barter system."

And when pressed, go into to the pink unicorns story, or say something like "No, really! I bartered 10 YEARS worth of Christmas cookies for this!"

scotcat60

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »
My dear old grandmother used to say "Money and fine words" whenever somebody asked her the price of something

My dear old Dad used to reply on similar lines "Money and fair words" if asked the price of something.

Hyacinth tells you you have wated your money, just say, "Really? I don't think I have. Now, isn't it great that Andy Murray won the Men's singles championship at Wimbledon"

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2013, 08:37:03 PM »
I like the facetious response idea. The more hyperbolic the better:

H: How much did you pay for it?
OP: A million dollars.
H: No, really, how much?
OP: Told ya. Million bucks. At Goodwill. It was a steal -- they're 3 million at Lord & Taylor.
H: No, I'm serious! I want to know!
OP: You're serious? Really? I'm sorry, I didn't realize that, because in my house growing up, asking someone what they paid for something was punishable by death. ::Sniffle:: I still miss Nosy Aunt Sylvia ....
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 02:10:17 AM »
Personally, I'd pre-empt her.

And by that, I mean that every time I had something new at work, i'd mention it before she could. Big, big smile and cheerful tone, and a "Good morning, Hyacinth. Now, I know you're always interested in the cost of the things I buy... this item is new. I got it at ThisShop for around X price and I'm perfectly happy with what I spent on it.  Isn't it pretty? Now, i'd better get back to that bean dip project..." Bigger smile and walk away.

Do that every single time.  The game's then yours and she'll soon give up if she realises she won't get a rise out of you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:12:03 AM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

HappilyInsane

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »
I have been known to tell people who act like Hyacinth, that since their name does not appear on either my marriage license or my birth certificate, they get no say so in how I live my life or spend my money. And that is the reason I need to spend much more time here.

BarensMom

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »
How about the tried and true, "I honestly don't remember" everytime she asks? 

ThornyRose2000

• Just a girl trying to survive this little thing called ....LIFE.
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
Any time anyone asks me the cost of something that I've purchased, I always tell them it cost me "dollars and cents".  It's nobody's business what I purchase let alone how much it costs.  I think I would tell her to MYOB and be done with the nonsense. 
~Sometimes the trip is better than the destination~