Author Topic: You paid HOW much for THAT?  (Read 9584 times)

dinvancouver

Re: You paid HOW much for THAT?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
Hyacinth: Is that bag from X designer?
Me: No Thank you. (said with a big smile and a cheery tone)

Then turn to something/someone else. This is my go-to answer for anything nosy. Well, when I'm on the ball anyway  :P

This is a polite reply, so one one can accuse you of being rude. But it completely derails the other person. Unless Hyacinth is like the person who didn't even hear the reply of "the wall fell down"  you can escape while she is tying to get back on track.

This also gets you out of having to do a lot a mental work - unless you like the idea of saying something cost a million dollars and a pink sparkly unicorn. If I had a pink sparkly unicorn I wouldn't sell it for ANYTHING.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
I don't understand why posters are trying to come up with creative ways to ignore her questioning when "it's none of your business" should suffice.  Repeat as necessary.

Redsoil

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
Thought of another one: 

"I wonder why you think it's appropriate to ask people such things?"

Could be useful if she simply will not stop asking.  If she says something along the lines of "I just like to know", then you can say "Well it's NOT appropriate, and it needs to stop."
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

ClaireC79

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
more than a can of coke, less than my car

Pen^2

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
more than a can of coke, less than my car

This reminds me of that engagement ring sketch from A Bit of Fry and Laurie :)

Laurie: "How much is it?"
Fry: "I would be wrong to let it go for more than forty thousand of pounds... but I would be equally at fault if I let it go for less than ninety."

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2013, 12:16:19 PM »
I agree with others, instead of creative responses I would do a direct one.  I don't like to discuss financial matters, anyhow back to this project...  And if she insists, just stare at her like she grew another head.  Then ignore her.

HyenaInPetticoats

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »

I like to use 'Oh it cost me an arm and a leg'

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
How about the tried and true, "I honestly don't remember" everytime she asks?

That's my favorite - and in my case, I wouldn't be lying... It's not like I carry around a spreadsheet listing everything I buy and the cost!  Who keeps track?!?

And those of you advising the OP to point out how rude Hyancinth is - hasn't it been said on here that that in itself is rude?

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »
How about the tried and true, "I honestly don't remember" everytime she asks?

That's my favorite - and in my case, I wouldn't be lying... It's not like I carry around a spreadsheet listing everything I buy and the cost!  Who keeps track?!?

And those of you advising the OP to point out how rude Hyancinth is - hasn't it been said on here that that in itself is rude?

That's why I like the pass-the-buck (no pun intended) approach: "Sorry, my mom taught me it's not nice to talk about what things cost with anyone outside the family." Hyacinth is as likely to think, "Her family's weird!" as she is to think, "She just called me rude!" And given Hyacinth's general cluelessness, I'm guessing it would be the former. At least she might be less inclined to pursue this line of conversation with OP in the future.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady