Author Topic: Barbecue Saturday - is this enough?  (Read 2240 times)

miranova

Re: Barbecue Saturday - is this enough?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
Interesting.  I have never heard of nor been invited to a party like you are describing.  It would still feel like a sales pitch to me, even if there was nothing to buy right then and there.  I'd much rather be invited to something with absolutely no agenda attached to it, especially from a friend.

Having said that, your menu is fine for what it is, which is a vegetarian themed meal.  It wouldn't be my first choice but if you were a friend and this is what you served me, I wouldn't make an issue out of it or anything.  My only issue would be feeling a little awkward thinking that you were working for the company or something.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
Interesting.  I have never heard of nor been invited to a party like you are describing. It would still feel like a sales pitch to me, even if there was nothing to buy right then and there.  I'd much rather be invited to something with absolutely no agenda attached to it, especially from a friend.

Having said that, your menu is fine for what it is, which is a vegetarian themed meal.  It wouldn't be my first choice but if you were a friend and this is what you served me, I wouldn't make an issue out of it or anything.  My only issue would be feeling a little awkward thinking that you were working for the company or something.

So would it still feel like a sales pitch if I called you and said
"I was at the store and they were doing a promotion and gave me a dozen veggie burger patties. Want to come over for tomorrow for dinner when we bbq them?" and as your leaving "Oh, here's some coupons they gave me to pass on to anyone interested."

miranova

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
Interesting.  I have never heard of nor been invited to a party like you are describing. It would still feel like a sales pitch to me, even if there was nothing to buy right then and there.  I'd much rather be invited to something with absolutely no agenda attached to it, especially from a friend.

So would it still feel like a sales pitch if I called you and said
"I was at the store and they were doing a promotion and gave me a dozen veggie burger patties. Want to come over for tomorrow for dinner when we bbq them?" and as your leaving "Oh, here's some coupons they gave me to pass on to anyone interested."

It's the tote bag and coupons that make it feel that way.  I've never been given a tote bag and coupons in a social situation, unless it was truly "hey I don't want this, do you?"  A whole stack of tote bags?  I would truly wonder if they were getting a commission.  Maybe I'd be wrong about that, but I'd wonder.

cattlekid

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:33 PM »
I'm not too worried about it because everyone I invited has either applied to host a party through the same company, have actually hosted a party or are least familiar with the concept.  It's going like wildfire through my friends.   ;D

Some of us are luckier than others when it comes to getting selected to host.  One of my friends has actually gotten a free Keurig brewer AND a SodaStream soda maker from these parties. 

miranova

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »
So you are being compensated, just with products instead of cash.  As long as everyone coming knows the deal then that's fine but I'd just be careful with new people.  I would personally be a bit disappointed if I thought I was invited to a real party only to find out the purpose was to earn the host a free appliance.  It sounds like you and your friends all do this for each other and all know what they are getting into, so in your situation it should be fine.