Author Topic: Barbecue Saturday - is this enough?  (Read 2245 times)

cattlekid

Barbecue Saturday - is this enough?
« on: July 16, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
Hello all!

I am hosting a barbecue at my home on Saturday.  There will be about 10 guests total, plus DH and I. 

The main purpose of the barbecue is to introduce people to new veggie burgers on the market.  I received free coupons for the veggie burgers and the guests will also receive tote bags and coupons from the manufacturer.  The fact that veggie burgers will be the main course was clearly stated on the invitation.

Along with the veggie burgers, buns and condiments I plan on having the following:

Apps – veggies and dip, chips and queso
Sides – potato salad, fruit salad, lettuce salad, homemade pickles
Dessert – caramel ice cream dessert
Beverages – beer, soft drinks, lemonade, water (we also have several of hard liquor available if anyone wants a mixed drink)

In the invitation, I asked if anyone had a food allergy that I needed to be aware of and no one responded. 

How does this menu look to everyone?  Too much?  Not enough? Do I need a second dessert or more appetizers?  I planned on getting the grill started at the designated time that the party will start (5:00 PM) so that we won’t be waiting forever for our burgers to be cooked (veggie burgers don’t take long anyhow). 

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Dorrie78

Re: Barbecue Saturday - is this enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
How about some potato chips/pretzels?

Be warned that I would be very surprised to arrive at someone's personal bbq and be presented with giveaways from the manufacturer of the main course and I don't think my reaction would be unusual. You may want to make it very clear that not only are you serving the veggie burgers as the main course, but that you are going to be actively marketing and promoting them as well.

Amara

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
I have to agree with Dorie. While your menu sounds great--and I am always open to trying a new veggie burger--I would not be happy if the main focus of the BBQ is going to be marketing of the new burger. Is this a new MLM event and/or product?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
I have to echo the previous posters. Will there be any active selling of the product during the barbecue? I would be more than happy to try them out but I would not wish to hear a presentation, etc.

Also, I would have a main dish alternative, in case anyone dislikes the new burger. For a group of 12, I will usually have an alternative main dish.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
I think the menu is fine.

And if the party is the type I think, I don't think there is any marketing other than try the product and take a gift bag.

A friend does these types of events. She's had an xBox party, a party for some type of Kraft food product, and I think one for a cleaning device, but I don't remember specifics.

As a hostess, you get some freebies, and you get some product to share at the party. I think for the xBox, she got some type of new controller and a bunch of games for guests to play and then there was some game giveaways to the guests.

As long as the guests know the purpose of the party, I think you're fine.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »
Since I personally would not eat your main dish, I would recommend having a pasta dish with vegetables as a more substantial offering. The rest sounds good.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
Many food manufacturers such as Kraft offer these types of parties to consumers.  The consumer enters a 'contest' on the website and then the manu offers you the party.  It is not an MLM or hard sell.  It is an opportunity to try the product for free and to get the name out there. 

In terms of the menu, if everyone knows that the main is a veggie burger, then I don't think you need to provide another main, but I do agree with a pasta salad or another form of protein such as a quinoa salad.

Oh Joy

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »
Sounds yummy.

Depends on what the main ingredients of the veggie burgers are, but I'd probably add a couple fattier and/or heavier things to round out.  I'm thinking cheese cubes (or slices for the burger), avocado slices or guacamole, and maybe a black bean salad (if it's not a bean burger).

Enjoy!

cattlekid

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
Thanks everyone!

There will be no selling at the barbecue other than "take a tote bag and a coupon if you wish".  Like a PP said, these parties are put on by the manufacturer just to have folks try out their products.  I've been to several (Gevalia coffee, Keurig, Jack Daniels, SodaStream, etc.) but this is the first one that I have hosted. 

If anyone is interested in finding out more about the process, the website is www.houseparty.com.  Everyone who was invited was invited through the company's website so they are fully aware of the reason for the bbq. 

There will be black bean burgers as one of the choices as that is the burger that they are wanting us to try out, but we can purchase any of the company's products with our free coupons.  I will definitely have cheese for the burgers and guac sounds like a good addition as well. 

Now if we can keep the rain and/or heat away, we'll be in business!   ;D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
Now if we can keep the rain and/or heat away, we'll be in business!   ;D

:P It's very hot and humid where I am right now.  Maybe you can also add popsicles, lemon ice, or a snow cone type of dessert.  Cold watermelon or frozen grapes are good too; can also be added to drinks.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »
That looks like more than enough options to me. Sounds delicious.

I am trying to cut down on overhosting a bit. I sometimes go a bit crazy on offering lots of options to make sure everyone is happy. But then I find I can spend too much time fetching and carrying at the party. One thing I do like to do now is deconstructed salads. I get a large platter and then put all the ingredients in strips side by side. Its a bit easier for people to select more or less of what they want and it has a nice visual zing (but keeps it to one dish). I especially like it for greek salads and fruit salads where you can really contrast the colours.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 06:28:30 PM »
What about corn on the cob?

And/or a baked bean dish?

Are you wanting to keep this entirely vegetarian?

Isometric

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
Yum, sounds good! I think it's great the way it is! At most BBQ's here we also have a loaf of fresh white bread, but since you're serving burgers that might be superfluous.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
I think a Mediterranean style pasta salad with chick peas and feta cheese would be a good addition for those who don't want to try the burgers.  That way, there would be some protein for them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »
It sounds like the guest list is at least lacto-vegetarian. 

If there are guests who eat meat or fish, I would suggest offering a fairly hearty tuna or chicken salad as an alternative to the burgers. 

We're omnivores but would happily try a new vegetable burger.  We've tried many.  Some have been ghastly.  Others were better than a real beef burger. 

On the whole, it sounds like a lovely party. I hope it goes off well.