Author Topic: If you aren't on the deadline team, don't eat the lunch  (Read 9448 times)

BeagleMommy

Re: If you aren't on the deadline team, don't eat the lunch
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
We had a similar situation at a previous job I had.

Once a month we would have marathon meetings that all employees were required to attend.  You had two choices for breakfast and lunch:  bring your own or contribute $20.00 and boss would bring in enough donuts and pizza for however many gave money.  One woman would always sniff and say "I don't DO donuts and pizza".  Okay, no problem.  Other people brought their own food so it's not as if someone would go hungry.

Well, once the meeting started she would take a plastic knife and cut a small piece out of one donut and eat it.  A few minutes later another piece, etc.  She would do the same thing with the pizza by only cutting off a piece of the crust each time she passed the boxes.

Boss pulled her aside and told her that she was not allowed to "pick" at the food if she wasn't going to contribute. 

If the boss only wants to feed the deadline team he shouldn't send the email to everyone.

Zizi-K

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »
We had a similar situation at a previous job I had.

Once a month we would have marathon meetings that all employees were required to attend.  You had two choices for breakfast and lunch:  bring your own or contribute $20.00 and boss would bring in enough donuts and pizza for however many gave money.  One woman would always sniff and say "I don't DO donuts and pizza".  Okay, no problem.  Other people brought their own food so it's not as if someone would go hungry.

Well, once the meeting started she would take a plastic knife and cut a small piece out of one donut and eat it.  A few minutes later another piece, etc.  She would do the same thing with the pizza by only cutting off a piece of the crust each time she passed the boxes.

Boss pulled her aside and told her that she was not allowed to "pick" at the food if she wasn't going to contribute. 

If the boss only wants to feed the deadline team he shouldn't send the email to everyone.

That sounds rather excessive...For $20 you can get your own large pizza and dozen donuts! Methinks he was making money on this deal...

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »
Yeah, $20 sounds just a wee bit over the top, especially for just pizza and donuts.

White Lotus

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »
Add beverages and side things like a green salad and some fruit (oh, goodness, I hope so!) and it could add up to $20 per. 

Otterpop

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 12:23:57 AM »
Yeah, $20 sounds just a wee bit over the top, especially for just pizza and donuts.

ITA, $20 is a steak dinner in a lot of places ($5 for a hamburger meal combo).  Why would they chip in that much for a meal of basically bread?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:25:51 AM by Otterpop »

AngelicGamer

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 12:39:29 AM »

ITA, $20 is a steak dinner in a lot of places ($5 for a hamburger meal combo).  Why would they chip in that much for a meal of basically bread?

Depends on the city, IMO.  $20 is enough for large pizza with sausage and extra cheese from my favorite pizza place.  I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »

Depends on the city, IMO.  $20 is enough for large pizza with sausage and extra cheese from my favorite pizza place.  I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

Yes, but I assume each employee don't eat one whole pizza by themselves.  For $20, I'd rather buy that pizza for my family.

HorseFreak

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
For $6 I can get a lunch special at an amazing pizza place including salad, slice of pizza and drink.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »
If the email simply said "Free lunch, in the conference room, now!" I guess technically, the other employees weren't rude by taking the food.

BUT - it also seems (and correct me if I'm wrong, TootsNYC) that:

1. The other employees knew full well that your team was under pressure, and didn't have time to step outside to get lunch;
2. The amount of food was limited. Ie, there wouldn't be enough for all staff; and
3. This had been going on for at least a week.

In that case, I do think the other employees were somewhat inconsiderate for rushing over to grab "first dibs" on the food.

As for a solution, I wonder if it would have been rude, after Food Guy send out the initial email, to quickly send another email to everyone saying "Thanks Boss. My team and I are working really hard, and don't have the opportunity to step outside. Lunch in the conference room sounds great. We'll be there in
  • minutes."

That gives everyone the heads up that your team intends to have some of the food. And hopefully the other staff will back off, and leave enough for your team.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
That email wouldn't be rude in the least. But it wouldn't be effective either.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
That email wouldn't be rude in the least. But it wouldn't be effective either.

The solution seems so simply, Toots.  I'm having a really hard time grasping why this is even a problem in your office.  The guy who sends out the email to everybody .... how can he NOT understand the problem that is creating? 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
Yeah, I don't get it either. He thinks it would be rude to officially exclude other people.

As I said, he tried to fix it by telling all the crucial teams first, and that sort of worked.

But the solution that was my favorite was mine--I just ordered lunch for my own team, and we didn't even lose time from going to try to beat our way through the crowds to get the food. And we got exactly what we wanted.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
Yeah, I don't get it either. He thinks it would be rude to officially exclude other people.

As I said, he tried to fix it by telling all the crucial teams first, and that sort of worked.

But the solution that was my favorite was mine--I just ordered lunch for my own team, and we didn't even lose time from going to try to beat our way through the crowds to get the food. And we got exactly what we wanted.

I don't get it either. It's not like its a social event, where you're excluding certain people. It's work, some are busy, so busy they don't have time to eat, so food is ordered in so they can both eat and get the work done.

He sounds like a people pleaser, and is afraid of having someone not like him. I know if it were me, and some other group who was working their behinds off to get something done had lunch ordered in, I wouldn't think twice that I couldn't partake.

Glad you were able to come up with a solution for your group.