Author Topic: Take your time - more checkout lane discussion  (Read 4078 times)

veronaz

Take your time - more checkout lane discussion
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
The thread about changing lanes at the store made me think of another situation I’ve been in.

The person in front of me is taking a little more time actually exiting – putting change in their wallet, looking at receipt trying to understand something, etc.  Maybe it’s an elderly person and they will look at me apologetically or even say “Sorry” while nervously trying to get organized.

I always feel bad because I remember when my mom used to do this; she seemed to feel guilty that she was holding someone else up (even when she got older and had some physical challenges).

What I do is smile at the person and say “Take your time.  I’m not in that big of a hurry.”  Or “Don’t let people rush you; you’re fine.  Your money spends as good as mine does”.  Then they relax a bit.  I try to chill out, even if it happens in an express lane. 

Has this ever happened to you? 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:15:16 PM by veronaz »

lowspark

Re: Take your time - more checkout lane discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
I'm not sure. Do you mean at the grocery store? Cuz in that case, once the cashier is done with that person, they normally just start scanning my stuff. So what the person in front of me in line is doing doesn't delay me.

But yeah, I'm not going to get all huffy about someone who clearly needs to take their time being a little slow. Thirty seconds isn't going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. It's much more annoying if someone is unnecessarily taking too long or if the cashier is incompetent. But even then you just have to sort of grin and bear it I think.

veronaz

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »
Do you mean at the grocery store? Cuz in that case, once the cashier is done with that person, they normally just start scanning my stuff. So what the person in front of me in line is doing doesn't delay me.

Grocery store and other stores.  Even if the person is "done" and the cashier starts scanning the next order, sometimes the person in front of me is still standing where I would stand when it's my turn.  At a different store (CVS, Walgreens, etc.) the cashier usually doesn't start scanning until the person they just helped is physically out of the way.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
It really depends. If they're simply putting their receipt in their purse, and change in their wallet, I'm ok with that. The extra 30 seconds don't make a difference. But then they do that, then start diggin in their purse for soemthing else, then realize they have a coupon they didn't give the cashier, or generally are taking longer than it should, then I get a tad impatient.

I had one yesterday, but leaving the grocery store. She had a full cart in front of me, which she was having trouble manuvering due to several cases of water. She was also moving veeeeeery slowly, while perusing her receipt, as she walked out. She then got to the first set of doors, got halfway through and came to a dead stop. THAT makes me crazy. I get that you might want to get your keys out so you can open the trunk etc. but please don't block my and everyone else's way.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
I don't get annoyed when they are putting money away because that takes time.  I can't stand being rushed off while clutching my money in one hand, wallet in the other, and still have to push my cart away.  But I think people should stand aside when looking over their receipt since the cashiers can't do anything about it anymore.  They will have to go to the service desk anyway if something is wrong.

Cami

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »
I long ago learned as a consumer -- and was taught as a grocery store cashier -- to never leave the register until I make sure I have the correct change and my receipt and put them into my purse. As a cashier I was taught to never start a new customer until the prior one is satisfied that their money and receipt are correct and they are done with me, the reason being that if there is a problem it's far easier to correct if I haven't started a new order. As a consumer who once watched a guy come swooping down and grab a woman's wallet out of her hand as she was walking away from the cashier, not having put it in her purse yet, I learned not to move until my wallet is safe and secure.

So it doesn't bother me when people need more time. I really try not to let the little irritations of life get to me unless I need to raise my blood pressure. Just not worth it.

SiotehCat

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »
I don't like it. Not enough for it to bother me, but I won't tell them to take their time either.

I will keep going with my purchase, pay and then walk around them. Most of the time, I am only buying 2-3 things and paying with my card, so it doesn't take very long.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »
The thread about changing lanes at the store made me think of another situation I’ve been in.

The person in front of me is taking a little more time actually exiting – putting change in their wallet, looking at receipt trying to understand something, etc.  Maybe it’s an elderly person and they will look at me apologetically or even say “Sorry” while nervously trying to get organized.

I always feel bad because I remember when my mom used to do this; she seemed to feel guilty that she was holding someone else up (even when she got older and had some physical challenges).

What I do is smile at the person and say “Take your time.  I’m not in that big of a hurry.”  Or “Don’t let people rush you; you’re fine.  Your money spends as good as mine does”.  Then they relax a bit.  I try to chill out, even if it happens in an express lane. 

I'm with you.  I think it falls into that "life with other people on our planet" thing.  And a smile and a nice word don't hurt a thing.  Might just make someone's day.  It's 30 seconds or so.  Surely I can slow down enough in my day to allow someone that without being irritated.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »
I slow down, I am never in a big hurry at the store or running errands, because I don't like having that kind of attitude about me. I prefer to do my shopping when I have the time.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 05:44:22 PM »

I'm with you.  I think it falls into that "life with other people on our planet" thing.  And a smile and a nice word don't hurt a thing.  Might just make someone's day.  It's 30 seconds or so.  Surely I can slow down enough in my day to allow someone that without being irritated.

This. I usually respond with a "Don't rush".

One grocery store in my area does not allow their checkers to start with the next person's groceries until the one in front of them is gone. They feel starting with the next person implies they are rushing their customer out the door. I notice a higher than average number of senior citizens buying at this store. While I'm normally an impatient person, their policy does not bother me. I find it very polite.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »
I like this way of handling it, Veronaz.  I usually go with a quick "Oh, no worries" or "I'm not in a hurry to get home, I'll just have to start laundry!" or something similar if they seem chatty.

Library Dragon

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
I'm usually a 'it's okay, don't rush person.'

I will confess that one time I wanted to shove the person in front of me on and out the door  >:D .

I was on lunch break and had run to the store. The woman in front of me had finished her transaction and WOULD NOT STOP talking to the cashier.  The woman chatted about her job, her son hitting a home run, etc., etc.  The cashier kept saying, "That's great, have a nice day" while looking at me and smiling apologetically. She wasn't allowed to start ringing up my purchases until the woman walked away.   

If you're putting your money, card, checkbook away--No problem. Chat away during your transaction.  When it's done please move on and don't stop in the doorway (TM Siamesecat2965).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:10:40 PM »

I will confess that one time I wanted to shove the person in front of me on and out the door  >:D .

I was on lunch break and had run to the store. The woman in front of me had finished her transaction and WOULD NOT STOP talking to the cashier.  The woman chatted about her job, her son hitting a home run, etc., etc.  The cashier kept saying, "That's great, have a nice day" while looking at me and smiling apologetically. She wasn't allowed to start ringing up my purchases until the woman walked away.   

If you're putting your money, card, checkbook away--No problem. Chat away during your transaction.  When it's done please move on and don't stop in the doorway (TM Siamesecat2965).

When this happens, I think it's perfectly all right to interrupt her and say, "Excuse me.  I need to check out." 

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »

I had a similar experience today. I only had a short time and a man in front of me had to explain his purchases to the clerk. And why he was purchasing each item. And what he had purchased on his previous visits. And then he told her how long he had been retired, etc. I kept my mouth shut but internally I was thinking sarcastically about how I would never had guessed he was retired. I couldn't change lines as this was the only clerk checking people out.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

veronaz

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »

I had a similar experience today. I only had a short time and a man in front of me had to explain his purchases to the clerk. And why he was purchasing each item. And what he had purchased on his previous visits. And then he told her how long he had been retired, etc. I kept my mouth shut but internally I was thinking sarcastically about how I would never had guessed he was retired. I couldn't change lines as this was the only clerk checking people out.

Interesting story, but I’m referring to instances when a person in front of you is nervously trying to hurry because they’re afraid of taking up too much time.  The man you describe doesn’t seem to fit that pattern.