Author Topic: Very odd shopping cart mis-hap . . .  (Read 4812 times)

violetminnow

Re: Very odd shopping cart mis-hap . . .
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
There are people at the grocery store who pull in the carts, but 9/10 times they're not in the parking lot so I wouldn't say they're constantly moving carts. When I do see workers moving carts in they're taking them from the corral to the store. Where I live it seems to be a part of the job of our baggers, but not their whole job. I also don't see carts just left in parking spots very often.

suzieQ

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
I put a quarter into the cart, do my shopping, and get to the line.  When I take the "end of line" cart out to load the minivan, I discover that the cart I got doesn't have a quarter.  It happened every time I went in, to the point where the deposit was basically a fee.  The store was getting a surcharge out of me, which I think is ridiculous.  I started only going in if I could carry everything to the checkout, then eventually stopped going at all.

Another reason I love Aldi. You put a quarter in to get a cart, then get the quarter back when you return it. They also do the "end of the line" thing, but I've never gotten a cart without a quarter. I'm guessing the store you go to gets a cart out to start their line and don't put a quarter in it. I would complain in the store if it happened to me. At our Aldi, I've actually made 50 cents returning a couple of carts that people were too lazy to return.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:28 PM »
I put a quarter into the cart, do my shopping, and get to the line.  When I take the "end of line" cart out to load the minivan, I discover that the cart I got doesn't have a quarter.  It happened every time I went in, to the point where the deposit was basically a fee.  The store was getting a surcharge out of me, which I think is ridiculous.  I started only going in if I could carry everything to the checkout, then eventually stopped going at all.

Another reason I love Aldi. You put a quarter in to get a cart, then get the quarter back when you return it. They also do the "end of the line" thing, but I've never gotten a cart without a quarter. I'm guessing the store you go to gets a cart out to start their line and don't put a quarter in it. I would complain in the store if it happened to me. At our Aldi, I've actually made 50 cents returning a couple of carts that people were too lazy to return.

That's how it's supposed to work in this store, in theory.  But repeated missing quarters led me to believe that someone that works there (likely management... M worked for a different store, same chain, and knew this guy) has some way of removing the quarters.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »
Is anyone else thinking of a children's book entitled "The Adventures of Little Shopping Cart"?  No, just me?  Okay.

LOL! ;D  All poor little LSC wanted to do was get back to his store so that he could be ready to help out the next customer that needed him. But the Cars! Soooo many Cars! LSC cried out "Help! Cart-retrieval person! Please help me get back to the store!" . . . Yeah, I could see a children's book about this. LSC took quite an interesting travel that I was amazed at. ;D

I find it very interesting that most people are saying the second car being hit wasn't my fault. Thank you for easing my mind.

I did feel like I was "engaging the crazy" but I'm not one to walk away from a problem that I caused . . . and I honestly did think that the second car being dinged was still my fault, but she had not interest in what I was trying to say.

This is a very small MajorNameStore, it's not a super-store like most all of them are these days. (MajorNameStore announced that they were closing this site down because it isn't a super-store. Town-residents signed many a petition to keep it open.) I love my little store!

From what I see, cart retrieval is handled by the baggers. It seems that they trade off bagging or retrieving carts, depending on the need.

For the most part, the parking lot is very clean of errant carts. Who knows if the person that left the cart there vacated the spot less than 5 minutes earlier than I pulled in?

Oh, and for the record, I don't think that I would like those deposit/return carts. That just seems like an extra hassle to me.

Thank you, everybody, for your viewpoints. I learned a lot. ;D