Author Topic: Door sign for new parents  (Read 3060 times)

TeamBhakta

Door sign for new parents
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:22:41 AM »
I was reading this article about unwanted comments / advice to new parents. A doula in the article made a door sign that new parents can put out. It's under "Devon Clement is a postpartum doula." What do you think of it ? Is it rude, useful, funny...?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/24/queen-elizabeth-william-ears_n_3644634.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

nolechica

• Super Hero!
Re: Door sign for new parents
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:25:53 AM »
I wasn't expecting a door letter.  I think it's too long and the last paragraph is probably ill-advised.  Unless of course you have a meddling new grandma/great aunt.  I love the first paragraph though.

pwy a wyr

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:50:12 AM »
I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously.  Even she admits that it's facetious.  I'd add to it, please don't try and criticize by speaking 'through' the baby.  The bane of my life. 

CakeEater

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
I thought it was going to be some variation of "We're all sleeping, please don't ring the bell." Which is fine, I think.

That is obvioulsy something you'd like to be able to say to everyone, but wouldn't do in reality, surely. Very rude.

I wish articles and people would stop giving the advice of, 'When you visit , offer to do a load of laundry, fold washing, wash dishes etc.' No matter how insane the early weeks were for me, I didn't want anyone sorting through my dirty clothes, or even folding clean ones. Yuk!

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »
I lost it at "I may need to breastfeed while you are here. If this offends you or makes you uncomfortable, I keep some blankets close by for you to put over your head." ROFL.

I would put the letter in the category of satire, not something people should actually put on their door.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
I think it is important to not impose on the parents, but I disagree with some of the later advice like " leave the manicotti at the door". I looked having visitors and would feel a bit sad if someone just left food at the door without saying hi. Especially with my second as visitors could entertain the older one.

But I have nice friends and family.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »
I'm hoping it was satire.  Because it's really rude.  And very long.

MrTango

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
I lost it at "I may need to breastfeed while you are here. If this offends you or makes you uncomfortable, I keep some blankets close by for you to put over your head." ROFL.

I would put the letter in the category of satire, not something people should actually put on their door.

I could totally see a situation where someone says "Are you really goign to do that in front of me?" or "Don't you think you should do that in private?" And the mother tossing a blanket to the complainer and said "If you want to cover up, feel free."

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »

The author specifically said it was intended to be facetious.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »

You are correct.  I was so thrown by the stupidity of the first part of the article (the whole "Queen talking about William's birth" thing really didn't seque into the article properly - as others in the Comments section have noted) that I missed the fact that it was facetious.  My hope is that other new parents don't also miss that word and think this is an acceptable thing to put on their door.  Even shortened, it's rude.

(I'm not the only person in this thread that missed the word, by the way.  So your comment applies to others as well, I think.)

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »

You are correct.  I was so thrown by the stupidity of the first part of the article (the whole "Queen talking about William's birth" thing really didn't seque into the article properly - as others in the Comments section have noted) that I missed the fact that it was facetious.  My hope is that other new parents don't also miss that word and think this is an acceptable thing to put on their door.  Even shortened, it's rude.

(I'm not the only person in this thread that missed the word, by the way.  So your comment applies to others as well, I think.)

Yes, I was just responding to the most recent post. I also hope new parents don't take it as a serious suggestion!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »

Yes, I was just responding to the most recent post. I also hope new parents don't take it as a serious suggestion!

Unfortunately, as we've seen in the past with other, similar types of things, there are people out there that don't get the fact that things like this are a joke and DON'T REALLY DO IT, WE BEG OF YOU!!!! :D