Author Topic: Does anone do tai chi?  (Read 623 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Does anone do tai chi?
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »
I love tai chi.  I used to go to a class and learned what she called the Ping form, but I never did complete the class nor keep up with the moves.  I really want to go back and learn some form.  I know there are lots of different forms of it and some are designed for people with compromises, like arthritis.
Has anyone had experience with tai chi and what form have you used?  also, any suggestions for good instructional DVD's?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

snowdragon

Re: Does anone do tai chi?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
I do Chen Style Tai Chi and have experience in others. Where are you? There might be options for you to experience Tai Chi in a larger park or something.  If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:40:58 AM »
I do Chen Style Tai Chi and have experience in others. Where are you? There might be options for you to experience Tai Chi in a larger park or something.  If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them
My husband has a couple of DVDs that might be helpful, although I do find them hard to learn from.  There are a couple of teachers in the area that I might check out. 
The teacher who does a form that is good for arthritis has a teaching style that doesn't work for me, at all.  (She seems obsessed with perfection in placement of your feet and hands, etc, resulting in a painfully long standing in one pose while she explains and adjusts.  Her predecessor was great, having you learn to do it correctly as you leaned the basics, refining over time.) 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Clumsy Ninja

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »
I do Tai Chi! I began about four years ago, my SO gave me the gift of six months at a class. Ohboy I was filled with huge anxiety, I'm beyond shy and have medical issues so I was positive I wouldn't be able to do it.

Four years later here I am, still doing it lol. I'm doing Taoist Tai Chi, if you Google it you will see it is an international organization with chapters all over the place.

The thing that I love best is that it doesn't matter how bad someone (okay.. me) is at it. It's not like a regular athletic thing with competition, it is all at your own pace at your own best.

It is a strange mixture of simplicity and difficulty which really sums up Tai Chi as a philosophy now that I think about it. Equal and opposite, yin and yang. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

If we don't have a chapter near you I'd try other ways. Some retirement communities will offer it (since it is great for older people due to the lack of force in Tai Chi), adult classes at the high school, even try your local library.

The problem with doing it at home from a DVD is that posture and foot placement is very important, it's difficult for a beginner to discern that a half inch foot placement really makes that much of a diffference in balance.

I'd suggest at least four months of a beginners class then go at it on your own. You won't be likely to hurt yourself but you'd get a lot more out of it.

Oh! And on YouTube you can find a video of Master Moy doing the series I do. It's very cool!