Author Topic: Sunglasses etiquette?  (Read 3819 times)

White Lotus

Re: Sunglasses etiquette?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
I am with Dottie and Strawbabies. I got annoyed with taking my sunglasses off indoors because they were too dark and having to dig out another pair of glasses to read labels.  My sunglasses are now Transitions and I don't have to do that any more.  Mirror glasses I might take off for conversations -- or not.  Don't worry about it.  Wear'em if you need 'em.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 06:33:47 PM »
If anyone you interact with is bothered by you wearing sunglasses, they don't have enough to worry about. I vote not rude at all.

Peregrine

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
The only time where it might be concerning to leave sunglasses on is inside a bank.  The credit union to which I belong is for military members and there are signs on all the doors asking people to remove both hats and sunglasses.  I have yet to figure out if it's a bit of military protocol (all bank employees are civilian) or security.

veronaz

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
You're way over thinking this.  [snip]

This, definitely.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »
As a person that works as a clerk at a gas station, I vote not rude at all. I would much rather deal with a polite, friendly person wearing sunglasses than I would the people that wont hang up the phone long enough to conduct business with me.  ;)

Amava

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
I would also never consider it rude and I would never judge anyone for wearing sunglasses on whatever occasion, because I can't possibly know what's going on in their lives or with their eyes.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »
I agree, not rude.  I'm not much of a sunglasses wearer myself but I don't think I'd even notice if someone else was wearing them or not.  Everyone has different sensitivities and you should do what makes you comfortable.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »
You're way over thinking this.  I live in Florida and wear my sunglasses whenever I'm not inside a building.

This. I may take them off if having a prolonged conversation outside but only if I'm in the shade.

Rohanna

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »
The only sunglasses that really bother me when someone wears them for long conversations are the mirrored ones. I find it distracting to see my reflection and have them shining at me constantly- and they completely block the eyes as well. Anything else besides the reeeeeeeeeeeally dark ones wouldn't bother me in the least. In a gas station (I was a clerk for a few summers) it wouldn't even have registered with me that you had them on.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
The only time where it might be concerning to leave sunglasses on is inside a bank.  The credit union to which I belong is for military members and there are signs on all the doors asking people to remove both hats and sunglasses.  I have yet to figure out if it's a bit of military protocol (all bank employees are civilian) or security.

I think it's a bank thing.  My credit union also requests that people take their sunglasses off indoors

snappylt

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »
The only sunglasses that really bother me when someone wears them for long conversations are the mirrored ones. I find it distracting to see my reflection and have them shining at me constantly- and they completely block the eyes as well. Anything else besides the reeeeeeeeeeeally dark ones wouldn't bother me in the least. In a gas station (I was a clerk for a few summers) it wouldn't even have registered with me that you had them on.

Rohanna,

I agree with you that I like to be able to see someone's eyes if we are going to have an extended conversation (so I would prefer someone remove dark or reflective sunglasses if we're going to talk a while).

This reminds me of my sixth grade teacher (back shortly after the invention of the wheel).  He was an older man who always wore very dark sunglasses all the time - inside and outside.  It was a bit unnerving because one couldn't tell if he was looking at you or not when he was talking with you.  The few times I remember anyone asking about them, he would joke that their purpose was to allow him to observe students without them realizing he was watching.  Looking back now, as an adult, I suspect that he may have had a medical problem with his eyes.

Pen^2

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 11:10:04 PM »

Yes, mirrored or dark--if it's anything more than just a quick chat, it's polite to let people see your eyes if possible. But chatting while filling up your car hardly counts. A job interview or something would be different.

I read somewhere once that sunglasses were invented in ancient China so the judges in courts could hide their eyes to make their faces less readable. I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense and it's kind of cool.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »

I would think it's for security.  Hats can shade faces and make it difficult to identify people.  When we have our photos taken for ship IDs, we are asked to take off sunglasses and hats. 

I never think about sunglasses in banks because the lenses in my regular glasses darken in the sun.  However, it's something to consider. 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »
Several banks & credit unions in my area now have signs posted:

For security purposes please remove hoodies, hats/caps & sunglasses upon entering

Although, I think if they are going to rob you they aren't going to be bothered by not following the rule above...

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »

Security. It's pretty standard these days.

On topic, if I stop to talk to someone for ten minutes, I'll probably take them off. Otherwise, as you will.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls