Author Topic: Boss goes through CWs desk.  (Read 6832 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Boss goes through CWs desk.
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »
I know this because I've heard Boss go into CWs cube when CW is there and say "Hi, I just came for a chocolate fix." Then I hear a drawer open and Boss said "Mmmmm. These are so good!"

Maybe CW told Boss at one time "Help yourself" or whatever.

But I know Boss goes through CWs desk when CW isn't around.

One time I saw Boss go into CWs cube when CW wasn't around, heard a drawer open, then some mumbles and a couple of other drawers open. Then Boss quickly scuttled out of the room.

I mentioned this to CW and she rolled her eyes, shrugged her shoulders and said "I know. She's looking for my Dove-bites. But she bought me a bag the other day, so what can I do?"

I just let it go.

CW is on vacation and today I heard Boss going through CWs drawers. Then I heard Boss quietly say "Aha! Tums! I knew I saw them here."

Where I sit in my cube I'm not easily visible to people just passing by. The times I heard Boss in CWs cube have been when other CWs in the room have gone out for a smoke break.

Maybe Boss doesn't realize that I'm there?

Next time I hear Boss going through CWs desk, I'd really like to poke my head in CWs cube and ask Boss something like "I'm just curious, do you go through my desk when I'm not around?"

I'm not sure how to handle this situation . . . What would you do?

No, we can't put locks on our desks or even our overhangs. That's why I don't bring a purse or anything valuable to work. There is a combo lock on the door to our room. The door is usually locked when nobody's in the room, but Boss (and plenty other people) has the combo.

TeamBhakta

Re: Boss goes through CWs desk.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:14:52 PM »
"I'm just curious, do you go through my desk when I'm not around?" = probably not a good idea to say. Let HR / security know it's going on. Or get one of those false bottom mini planters people use to hide keys & money, if you think the boss will start taking your things, too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:51:33 PM by TeamBhakta »

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:16:56 PM »
Hmm, I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. She did invite him to help himself.  If she's uncomfortable with him opening the drawer for any reason, why not leave the chocolate out on the desk, or tell him someplace in particular that he should look for it?

If there's incriminating or confidential information that one of you is worried about him seeing while looking for the chocolate, it probably shouldn't be stored in an unlocked desk drawer.  Really, anyone could go through your desk.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:22:55 PM »
We don't know that the co-worker invited Boss to share her chocolate. That's something the OP thinks might have happened. And Boss is also going after Tums, which she may or may not have been invited to share.

Boss may have the right to go through all the desks, as the desks are company property. But I don't know if that gives Boss the right to help herself to personal belongings in those desks, like candy and OTC medications.

Taking the issue to HR is probably the best way to go.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
You mentioned it to your co-worker.  Your co-worker was unconcerned.  Your obligation has ended.  It could end up being professional darwinism to say anything to your boss about it.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
This is between co worker and boss.  You don't have a dog in this fight so just let it be.  Unless your co worker was complaining about theft and had no idea, it really is no one's business, plus boss did buy chocolate to replace what she eats.  My last job, we had open desks..everyone had a snack drawer and the rule was help yourself but replace if you take the last one.

veronaz

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
This is between co worker and boss.  You don't have a dog in this fight so just let it be.

This.

If someone was stealing things from a CW or if CW was involved in a dispute (grievance situation, HR complaint, etc.) with someone going thru desk, it would be different.  But that is not the case here.

I don’t like the idea of people going thru other’s desks.  It smacks of cloak & dagger.  But this situation is between the two of them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:05:01 PM by veronaz »

chibichan

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
Yep , this is between them .

I had a desk that was frequently looted when I was away from it . After fuming about it for months , I kind of realized that I was investing too much in the idea that it was MINE .

It's the company's desk , they just let me sit there . I promptly invested in a small lockable cashbox for my indispensable tools and I rarely kept food / candy around .

Once the rest of the team realized there was no " buried treasure " there , they seldom bothered with it .

The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23:29 PM »
We don't know that the co-worker invited Boss to share her chocolate. That's something the OP thinks might have happened.

Thanks Camlan, I read that wrong -- thought the OP actually overheard the coworker saying Boss was  free to grab chocolate. 

DavidH

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 07:37:32 PM »
My first thought is why get involved, but more importantly, it is the company's desk and I can't think of a good reason why one's boss wouldn't be allowed to look in it, although it is rarely done.  It is rare to have information that should be kept confidential from one's boss and unless you know that's the case, I'd assume it isn't.  Reporting them for stealing a chocolate seems silly, particularly since you mentioned it to your co-worker and she wasn't concerned. 

Asking you Boss something like "I'm just curious, do you go through my desk when I'm not around?" seems like a really bad idea since it is rather antagonistic.  Besides, if your Boss says yes, then what?

If my boss needs a document he thinks I have and I'm not around, I'd assume it's his right to look through my desk for it.  There's nothing there that he can't see and I can't come up with a good reason why that would be inappropriate. 

Erich L-ster

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
That is wrong and inappropriate. Boss isn't taking company property, it's personal property paid for by the employee.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
Thanks for your input so far . . .

This is between co worker and boss.  You don't have a dog in this fight so just let it be.

I agree that what Boss is doing with CWs desk is between Boss and CW . . . but it still makes me wonder if Boss is going through my desk when I'm not around.

I do not keep anything of value in my unlocked desk, but there is chapstick, advil, toothpaste/brush, womanly products, eye drops, etc. I look at my chapstick and think "Eww? Maybe? Noooo, not possible."

I, personally, think that it's extremely rude for someone to rifle through anybody else's desk, even though the desk is company property.

chibichan -- I really like your idea of a lock box.  ;D

DavidH -- I see your point if Boss was looking for company documents. All of our documents are computer driven. Nothing like that is kept in a desk.

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »
What you can do is take home your personal belongings and come to work with a lunch bag or small tote. Just because you offered a chocolate or antacid, it doesn't mean you are willing to part with the whole package. Unless it is reciprocated or paid for.

It depends on the office culture. I was once the go-to person for safety pins, hair spray, breath mints, aspirin, spare change/break a $20 (for the vending machine).  And if you brought crackers or peanuts or sliced fruit, people would snap up a little from off your plate while you are still there! So, if someone is all right with that, don't get involved. As for me, one time is free, the next one, "sorry, don't have any." And just smile.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »
I wouldn't say a word to Boss but if I was friendly w/ coworker I'd give her a heads up when she returns.

We have a coworker who does this at our office, apparently whoever is out of the office on a given day dictates where he hunts for a snack, "borrows" a stapler/tape dispenser/scissors, and when he swipes my favorite pens. Since I pay for my own pens, I keep those in my purse now and on my person at work. Snacks I either pack in each day or hide them under a pile of work...he's work phobic and won't look there ;) The dispensers & tools belong to the office even if we each have a set on our desks, so there's not much to be done since our Boss is this coworkers biggest fan.

If my other coworkers or I notice him perusing someone else's area we give each other a heads up when that person returns to the office.

veronaz

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »
I used to work in an office where a nosey co-worker went thru people’s desks. (There was a rumor he sometimes came in after hours to nose around.)  People started leaving strategically placed post-its that said “Hi, X!” or “Did you find what you were looking for?”  ;)   One person brought in a fake little snake that moved when the box was opened. >:D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:35:26 PM by veronaz »