A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

I read this and thought of the 'Racist Laundry' story

<< < (2/4) > >>

cwm:
I do laundry once a week. That's not enough time to get two separate loads.

If I had new clothes, ones where the colors hadn't set yet, I would separate them to wash. If I had delicates, I'd pull them aside to wash separately. As it is, I've got one shirt I have to pull out to hang dry, but that's it.

When I lived with my parents and still helped with communal laundry, we separated whites and colors, but when I started doing my own, it didn't make sense not to mix them. It seemed a terrible waste of water and energy for the dryer to do half loads. And that was further ingrained into my head when I went to college. Laundry was expensive there, so throwing as much in as possible was the best option, regardless of what color it was.

Elisabunny:
Is anyone else now contemplating the racial implications of color catcher sheets? ;)

RegionMom:
cwm-

you must  be very fortunate to not have your whites turned pink! 

In HS, I ruined a crisp white blouse with coordinating bright fucshia jumper by washing together.  Wah.  Could not wear either ever again. 

DH did tye-die at a camp when he was in HS, but his mom did not know what to do with it, and they all faded to a lovely non-guy shade of pastels and pinks.  His socks and undies, so I heard, also pinked out.  (She washed all cotton together)

So, now that we have teens that do their own laundry, I taught them how to set any brand new brightly colored/dark clothes, and then wash inside out, in cold.

So far, so good!

On topic, I have seen laundry tote bags with two sections divided inside with embroidered labels, "blues" and "whites."

But then, I just realized, that could get political- red can be seen as a political color.
oh noes!!
 ;D :(

cwm:

--- Quote from: RegionMom on July 19, 2013, 11:51:49 AM ---cwm-

you must  be very fortunate to not have your whites turned pink! 

In HS, I ruined a crisp white blouse with coordinating bright fucshia jumper by washing together.  Wah.  Could not wear either ever again. 

DH did tye-die at a camp when he was in HS, but his mom did not know what to do with it, and they all faded to a lovely non-guy shade of pastels and pinks.  His socks and undies, so I heard, also pinked out.  (She washed all cotton together)

So, now that we have teens that do their own laundry, I taught them how to set any brand new brightly colored/dark clothes, and then wash inside out, in cold.

So far, so good!

On topic, I have seen laundry tote bags with two sections divided inside with embroidered labels, "blues" and "whites."

But then, I just realized, that could get political- red can be seen as a political color.
oh noes!!
 ;D :(

--- End quote ---

Oh, I saw the shirt I got in Italy for my sister turn pink. She didn't set the colors on her clothes. I always wash new clothes a few times in their own load, or by hand in the bathtub, until the color sets. Then I just throw it all in.

Plus, as an added bonus, most of my clothes come from thrift stores. Except my undies. And I've never found undies with color so vibrant that I have to worry about them bleeding.

Redneck Gravy:
I used to have one of those three basket roller buggies on wheels...

Lights on the LEFT
Brights on the RIGHT
Towels in the MIDDLE

So instead of coloreds - we have brights 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version