Author Topic: I read this and thought of the 'Racist Laundry' story  (Read 2464 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.

Redneck Gravy

Re: I read this and thought of the 'Racist Laundry' story
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »
Ha, ha I thought that was funny - I always wash colored clothes first because most of them have to hang and I don't want them getting wrinkled left in the dryer.  Whites on the other hand mostly fold and get left in there for hours.  But my most racist act is washing the towels last and sometimes they stay in the dryer all week...

But mark my words someone will take offense

Steve

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
Towley needs a word with you Redneck....

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
My DD sent me a text yesterday and asked if I forgot about the towels in the dryer.  I said, are they dry?  She said well they've been in here since Sunday.  I said well fold them, you've got time to complain about them being in the way, you've got time to fold 'em.  She said I wasn't complaining, I said were the towels?  Are they lonely for their friends?

We have this conversation about once a month.  We each do our own laundry, sheets, etc., but I do the towels on Sunday evenings and if I don't get them folded then I don't.  I either get to them later in the week or she can fold them.  Poor towels.

Towley needs a word with you Redneck....

Perfect! 

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
I wash colored clothes first as well. Some things get hung up wet, and others are thrown in the dryer. If the colored clothes are still wet when the whites are done, if there are no towels in the load, I will mix the load, and there they will stay until the dryer is needed again.

cwm

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »
I do laundry once a week. That's not enough time to get two separate loads.

If I had new clothes, ones where the colors hadn't set yet, I would separate them to wash. If I had delicates, I'd pull them aside to wash separately. As it is, I've got one shirt I have to pull out to hang dry, but that's it.

When I lived with my parents and still helped with communal laundry, we separated whites and colors, but when I started doing my own, it didn't make sense not to mix them. It seemed a terrible waste of water and energy for the dryer to do half loads. And that was further ingrained into my head when I went to college. Laundry was expensive there, so throwing as much in as possible was the best option, regardless of what color it was.

Elisabunny

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »
Is anyone else now contemplating the racial implications of color catcher sheets? ;)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
cwm-

you must  be very fortunate to not have your whites turned pink! 

In HS, I ruined a crisp white blouse with coordinating bright fucshia jumper by washing together.  Wah.  Could not wear either ever again. 

DH did tye-die at a camp when he was in HS, but his mom did not know what to do with it, and they all faded to a lovely non-guy shade of pastels and pinks.  His socks and undies, so I heard, also pinked out.  (She washed all cotton together)

So, now that we have teens that do their own laundry, I taught them how to set any brand new brightly colored/dark clothes, and then wash inside out, in cold.

So far, so good!

On topic, I have seen laundry tote bags with two sections divided inside with embroidered labels, "blues" and "whites."

But then, I just realized, that could get political- red can be seen as a political color.
oh noes!!
 ;D :(

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

cwm

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
cwm-

you must  be very fortunate to not have your whites turned pink! 

In HS, I ruined a crisp white blouse with coordinating bright fucshia jumper by washing together.  Wah.  Could not wear either ever again. 

DH did tye-die at a camp when he was in HS, but his mom did not know what to do with it, and they all faded to a lovely non-guy shade of pastels and pinks.  His socks and undies, so I heard, also pinked out.  (She washed all cotton together)

So, now that we have teens that do their own laundry, I taught them how to set any brand new brightly colored/dark clothes, and then wash inside out, in cold.

So far, so good!

On topic, I have seen laundry tote bags with two sections divided inside with embroidered labels, "blues" and "whites."

But then, I just realized, that could get political- red can be seen as a political color.
oh noes!!
 ;D :(

Oh, I saw the shirt I got in Italy for my sister turn pink. She didn't set the colors on her clothes. I always wash new clothes a few times in their own load, or by hand in the bathtub, until the color sets. Then I just throw it all in.

Plus, as an added bonus, most of my clothes come from thrift stores. Except my undies. And I've never found undies with color so vibrant that I have to worry about them bleeding.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »
I used to have one of those three basket roller buggies on wheels...

Lights on the LEFT
Brights on the RIGHT
Towels in the MIDDLE

So instead of coloreds - we have brights 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »
But "bright" can also mean "intelligent" so I could see someone fussing over that!

Bright,                              Dull,                 Uninspired?
Cold                           Lukewarm                 ummm, not hot?
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
Uh oh I've jist realised I'm operating a full caste system for my laundry, darks: mostly DH's work clothes, my uniforms and school uniform trousers, plus undies and sock (sunday) colours; boys clothes my clothes, (wenesday)  whites: school tops,  DH's shirts, teatowels, (saturday) and then there's delicates (when they reach critical mass)& bedding (tuesday) & towels (monday).

[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

EllenS

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 01:36:54 AM »
I do laundry once a week. That's not enough time to get two separate loads.

As the mother of two little girls and the wife of a DH who does a LOOOOOOT of yard work, your post made me cry.  We could probably fill multiple loads per day, if we had the time.

And don't even get me started on potty training - boy am I glad that's over.  For several years our two categories were "Pee soaked" and "Kitchen/Dish towels".

RubyCat

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »
I'm starting to think I must be OCD regarding laundry. Dark clothes have their own pile, then light colors, a separate pile for towels, and a pile of things I like to bleach. And then I wash them in a particular order. Heavy dark really dirty items like dh's work jeans go first, then other darks. If I have room in the washer, I'll toss in lighter clothes that won't come out dingy from being with the darker stuff. Then the lights. Then the bleach wash. Next goes the towels that might not be damaged if there were any bleach residue in the washer, not that it's ever been a problem. And then the rest of the towels. Oh, and my work scrubs stay separate from the other dirty clothes and are washed separately.

Gee, reading this, it sounds like I'm always doing laundry, but it doesn't feel like it.  ;D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »
I'm starting to think I must be OCD regarding laundry. Dark clothes have their own pile, then light colors, a separate pile for towels, and a pile of things I like to bleach. And then I wash them in a particular order. Heavy dark really dirty items like dh's work jeans go first, then other darks. If I have room in the washer, I'll toss in lighter clothes that won't come out dingy from being with the darker stuff. Then the lights. Then the bleach wash. Next goes the towels that might not be damaged if there were any bleach residue in the washer, not that it's ever been a problem. And then the rest of the towels. Oh, and my work scrubs stay separate from the other dirty clothes and are washed separately.

Gee, reading this, it sounds like I'm always doing laundry, but it doesn't feel like it.  ;D

then I do as well! except living in an apt, i don't have my own w/d. The ONLY advantage to that is if there are enough free machines, I can do all loads at one time. Except it irks me that the dryer can ONLY be set for one hour, which is way too much time, even on delicate.

My laundry routine is I wash darks together, pants and shirts separately. In cold. then whites and "lights" since i don't normally have enough of pure white to make it worth paying for one load. In warm. then a load of undies, washcloths and towels which are done in hot. and sometimes sheets and blankets, also in hot. I do mine about every 2 weeks.

only the undies, jeans, khakis, towels etc go in the dryer. the rest gets hung on one of 4 drying racks in my LR. And due to people putting way too much stinky stuff in the machines and my allergies, i use scent-free detergent plus some baking soda and vinegar to keep the stench out.

it also irks me that i can only set the dryer for one hour, which is too much, so i've started doing half my wash, putting what goes in, into the dryer, and then the other half. wash cycle is 30 mins, so usually by the time the second one is done, the first ones are dry, and i put the second loads in the dryer, for the last 30 mins. soemtimes i have to add 10 mins, but at .25 it still saves me money.

thankfully i live alone so there's no one to tell me i have laundry issues!

It also irks me that