Author Topic: I can't stop yawning!  (Read 1843 times)

Cherry91

I can't stop yawning!
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
The UK is currently in the middle of a heatwave, and that, combined with a relatively new job, is often quite draining.

In my case, lethargy or weariness express themselves in constant yawning. I actually went to the doctor about it last year, and they said it's nothing serious, just a quirk of my system.

The thing is, I often have to talk with lots of people in my job, and I'm worried that my constant yawning looks rude. Is it better to warn someone at the start of a conversation that I might yawn, and it's not a sign that they're boring me, or to just deal with it as it happens, in a similar way to a sneeze or cough?

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
Re: I can't stop yawning!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
Interested to see these responses. I have the same problem! Even if I'm in the middle of an intense dance class I will sometimes yawn. I've always worried about how it looks to others.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »
I personally think nothing about yawning when it is hot.  It's a normal physiological response.  So if it is very hot and someone is yawning during my conversation with them, I automatically put it down to the heat.

I wouldn't draw attention to it, apologize for it, or in any way make any note of it except to cover your mouth or stifle it as best you can.

cwm

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
I agree with Knitterly.

If someone else does call attention to it, you can always say, "Oh, sorry, it's just how my body works in the heat." or something and go from there. Have a line ready to use in case you need it, but one that just really isn't dismissive to the person, but is dismissive to the yawning in general.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
If you are concerned about offending someone with your yawning, and I understand that you might be, can you just not say anything unless you actually yawn and then say, 'I'm so sorry.  I don't know why, but heat always does this to me."
I have never heard of heat causing yawning but I did read that it does happen and that yawning is a way to cool down an overheated brain.  You learn something new everyday.

Much as I think Perry Como is a wonderful performer and has a beautiful voice, I cannot listen to him or even think about him without yawning.  It's so weird.  (I'm sitting here yawning, as I type).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:29:14 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

AllTheThings

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
This happens to me too, especially when it is hot, as some places are very stuffy and not well ventilated. I hate it when I yawn and someone asks if they are boring me. Some people just like to make things awkward. Usually I get uncomfortable and stammer out something about the heat, unless it was a friend or my parents asking the question, in which case I will answer "yes."  :)

I really don't get why people get offended at yawning. Most of the time, people yawn because they are physically tired, which has nothing to do with boredom, or because the room is stuffy and they need more oxygen. I don't really understand why some people come to the conclusion that a yawning person is bored.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
Yawning in a work situation isn't rude.  A CW used to explain it as 'a lack of oxygen, not a lack of interest.  Like sneezing or coughing, yawning isn't something you can completely stifle. 

On the other hand, if you started to snore, that would be rude. 

Seiryuu

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »
I'm sure people would understand given how it's a physiological response. If you're still unsure, just give them a brief explanation.

When it does happen, just cover your mouth and turn aside for a moment.

scotcat60

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:04:03 AM »
I'm in the UK too, so I know how hot it is. Your clients are probably feeling just as limp and tired as you are, and would no doubt sympathise.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
I agree with the above - and I feel your pain, I'm a yawner, too. Growing up in the American South, it's hot and humid a lot of the year, and I used to get into trouble for it, but I couldn't do a darn thing about it! I've learned to yawn with my mouth closed (not easy!) but it still is obvious something is going on.

In other words, don't sweat it, it's just from the heat. ;-)

Cherry91

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
OP here.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It's such a relief to hear that other people yawn when they're hot as well, no one I know does it (hense the suspecting there might be a medical reason).

Everyone I've been speaking to when hit with a yawn has been very understanding, so I'll take it as it goes.