Author Topic: How do I get the weird taste out?  (Read 1621 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
How do I get the weird taste out?
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
...and this thread title could easily be part of the "things that sound dirty" thread...

Anyway, I have some silicone rubber ice cube trays - they're a lot easier on my hands than plain old plastic, as I can just push down on the bottom and out pops the cube. I've got two plain ones, one that makes cubes in the shape of Companion Cubes from the game Portal, and one that makes cubes in the shape of the symbol for pi. The plain ones are just fine - though it took months for the cubes to quit tasting funny - but I can't seem to get the silicone taste out of the other two. I've hand-scrubbed them, put them in the dishwasher, tried freezing them for a day with no water in them and then letting them slowly thaw...but the taste still sticks.

(For what it's worth, I'm the only one who can still taste the hint of silicone in the Companion Cube tray. No one else can anymore, but it just totally ruins any drinks for me! The pi tray's fairly new, so it's still quite strong there.)

My question: is there an easy way to remove this taste quickly? I'd really like to use these trays without having to wait at least six months for them to air out...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: How do I get the weird taste out?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
If I were you I would look for reviews about them to see if this is a common problem.  If it isn't, I wonder if it's just common to the ones you have.  I probably would ask the company to replace them.  Or just order another one to see if the problem still exists.
I've been wearing the same type of shoe for years and once I got some new ones and they smelled so darned horrible coming out right out of the box.  I had to return them for another pair.  I don't know what was wrong, but something definitely was, just with that one pair.
ETA:  If you search for silicone ice cubes leave funny taste you will come up with other sites that talk about those kinds of trays leaving a funny taste a nd having a white residue on them.  Someone said a mild wash or soak with vinegar and water.  I don't know.  I still would contact the company about it for advise.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:45:54 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »
It is common to flexible silicone foodware, Bijou. My dear mother had a set of silicone cake pans that the taste wouldn't come out of either - except she didn't know that until she baked cakes in them. They were ruined (the cakes, not the pans) and she got so fed up with the pans that she gave them to my sister, who apparently can't taste or smell the silicone...

None of the different trays are made by the same company, either, so it's definitely not that.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »
What about soaking them in lemon juice for a couple of days? Lemon seems to work wonders on all kinds of odors.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »
I hadn't thought about that, White Dragon. It's worth a try when I get a bottle of lemon juice. (And if it ends up soaking into the silicone, well, lemon flavor is much better than rubber flavor! :))

HappilyInsane

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 05:36:01 AM »
I would try putting them out for a couple of hours in the sunshine to see if that helps. It can't hurt them.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »
What about soaking them in lemon juice for a couple of days? Lemon seems to work wonders on all kinds of odors.
I was thinking vinegar, might do the trick

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »

Depends on how good your sense of taste/smell is.  I cannot use silicone for anything that will be ingested as I can always taste it, whether it's in ice, cookies, or other baked goods. They never loose that weird plastic-y taste to me no matter how they are cleaned or how much they are used.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »

Depends on how good your sense of taste/smell is.  I cannot use silicone for anything that will be ingested as I can always taste it, whether it's in ice, cookies, or other baked goods. They never loose that weird plastic-y taste to me no matter how they are cleaned or how much they are used.

I do tend to taste it much longer than other people do - as I said, if I make cubes with my Companion Cube tray, no one else can taste the silicone but me now. And my first pair of trays, the plain ones, no longer give any odd taste. The pi one though...ugh. I love it and I want to get that awful taste out!

I'm just afraid vinegar might permanently flavor it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »
Try putting it in boiling water - it might draw the taste out faster.  If that doesn't work, I'd try the lemon juice over vinegar, just in case that flavour lingers.  A bit of a lemon flavour in ice cubes would be OK; vinegar, not so much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »
I'm probably going to try the lemon juice (and possibly vinegar) later, yeah. I just need to find a suitable dish to soak the tray in. It would not be a good idea to use my aluminum 9x13 cake pan. :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
those trays are made of material similar to my hydration bladders.  Before I use for the first time, I will do a soak for 24 hours of vinegar and water.  I then rinse and soak with lemon juice and water for another 24 hours.  Finally, I soak in baking soda and hot water for about 12 hours and any plastic/chemical taste is gone.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
I do think it's similar material, so I'll have to try that, PastryGoddess. :) What ratio of vinegar/lemon juice/baking soda to water do you use? (I'd assume 1:1 on the liquids, but the baking soda I have no idea on!)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 09:49:49 PM »
I do think it's similar material, so I'll have to try that, PastryGoddess. :) What ratio of vinegar/lemon juice/baking soda to water do you use? (I'd assume 1:1 on the liquids, but the baking soda I have no idea on!)

No it's definitely not 1:1 otherwise the vinegar and lemon juice will replace the chemical taste.  It's more like 1:10 for the vinegar and 1:5 for the lemon juice.  For baking soda I do 1 cup of soda to a gallon or so of water.  It's enough that the baking soda will dissolve without having any powder left on the bottom.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »
No it's definitely not 1:1 otherwise the vinegar and lemon juice will replace the chemical taste.  It's more like 1:10 for the vinegar and 1:5 for the lemon juice.  For baking soda I do 1 cup of soda to a gallon or so of water.  It's enough that the baking soda will dissolve without having any powder left on the bottom.

Excellent, thanks! I'll give it a try.