General Etiquette > Life...in general

Generic Graduation Thank you.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Oh Joy:
I would be frustrated, too.

That said, this time of year I seem to be having social conversations with parents of graduates who haven't sent their thank yous yet, some of whom are considering doing it themselves...would rather people get thanked than wait for the kid to possibly never do it.

Because I tend to take the most positive possible interpretation, I'd tell myself this is the result of lots of browbeating by the parent, and they decided not to do battle over some of the finer points.  Only because it would make me feel better.   :)

Van down by the river:
The experience I have with graduation announcers is the embossed type card printed w the graduated full name, high school, and even the date and time were written without numbers. I don't really have an issue with the announcement so much as the thank you note. Nothing was written. It was all printed out on the photo. The announcement was kind of like this:
http://photo.walgreens.com/walgreens/fe/p/store/facettedbrowser/FacetBrowser/app=pd/merch_oid=16354/bk=Cards/cardTypeLabel=Photo%2520Cards/designerId=5836816007/frontDesignUuid=6ff38f318112419386c1c463f20915b7/designGp=f80c755fbe6f46fd8974df9ac240fcf2/layoutUUID=5e47f2c11c2e44d0972b57c9b4e8a1fc/facetFilters=product_type%253Apt_card-facet_holiday%253Ah_christmas%253AChristmas%253AChristmas/urlEP=C/v=/. I know it's a holiday card. The website was being glitchy.

The TY was a square postcard with his same pic and the pre printed message. Included referring to himself as "the graduate"  It was all generic had a horribly impersonal feel to it. In my head I read it in a robot voice. Most HS graduates get money as a gift. That's all they want and generally, with a few exceptions, that is what they receive. So I'm willing to bet they went and had a huge stack of these cards made and sent them back to everyone. I turned it over looking for anything. A "thanks again!" With his name would have been nice. A typed out personal note would be fine. I guess what bugs me most is the "mass production" of the whole thing. I don't even know him. Never met him or his parents. It kind of feels now like a cash grab. I had no issue until the TY "note". I get warmer cards at Christmas from my lawyer. And the time frame? Considering the type of TY I got, there is no excuse on the earth to take two months to send it. Heck, he could have had them stamped and ready to go and just cycled them out as they came in. For all I know, his mom did it for him. Or someone else. There's no way to know. I don't think my expectations are high. This "your lucky you got anything back" way of looking at things I keep seeing is not acceptable. I would have preferred a voicemail or an email to this. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, it's not the end of the world but it is a valid irritation.

I understand things are different. I'm 20 years out of HS. I don't think that in any way excuses people from having basic social interactions.

Hmmmmm:
My DD used the formal announcement/invitation for her graduation but I think most of her classmates did personalized photo announcements. It seems to be the new trend, so I wouldn't feel slighted by that.

But I do find a pre-printed thank you note to be in poor taste.  Two months is a little late in my opinion too, but I wouldn't be upset about that either. DD stayed on top of hers, but it was difficult because she had such a busy schedule for the first 6 weeks after graduation.

CookieChica:
I've always received the embossed announcements as invitations, not thank yous. How did the invite come?

Thipu1:
I DO see problems with this TY note.  The problems aren't with the form, they're with the wording. 

Unless the kid is actually named 'Graduate' this is very odd.  Also, the preprinted reference to money is crass.  Is it possible that this young man received any gifts that weren't money? 

There should have been something hand written on the card if only a signature. 

We use computer generated mailing labels because neither of us have great hand writing but there's always a real note inside cards we send out.

BTW, back in the winter we sent a check for a Bar Mitzvah.  The TY was hand written but it was obviously a template of the 'fill in the blank' type. 

It read, 'Dear Aunt and Uncle,  Thanks for the money.  I love it!'.

Oh, well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version