Author Topic: Take your time - more checkout lane discussion  (Read 3956 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Take your time - more checkout lane discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 11:31:40 PM »
Today after reading these posts I went to CVS. There is a customer at the counter and it seemed the clerk has bagged all the items and is waiting for customer to pay. Customer has her cellphone on the counter and is typing on it. Remembering this post, I stay back and keep a pleasant look on my face though clerk glances to me a few times with an apologetic smile. I'm thinking customer was looking for a coupon code or something to do with her transaction. After a couple of minutes, she finally leaves the cell phone alone, gets out her credit card and pays then goes back to her phone as clerk tries to hand her her receipt and bags. Customer remains at counter for half a minute more and finally takes the items and then turns to me and says "Sorry, I was in the middle of playing candy crush." The clerk confirmed she wasn't joking.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 01:19:16 PM »
Today after reading these posts I went to CVS. There is a customer at the counter and it seemed the clerk has bagged all the items and is waiting for customer to pay. Customer has her cellphone on the counter and is typing on it. Remembering this post, I stay back and keep a pleasant look on my face though clerk glances to me a few times with an apologetic smile. I'm thinking customer was looking for a coupon code or something to do with her transaction. After a couple of minutes, she finally leaves the cell phone alone, gets out her credit card and pays then goes back to her phone as clerk tries to hand her her receipt and bags. Customer remains at counter for half a minute more and finally takes the items and then turns to me and says "Sorry, I was in the middle of playing candy crush." The clerk confirmed she wasn't joking.

Unbelievable....but sadly, believable. So much for assuming the best of someone.  :P

strawbabies

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
I can't stand it when people try to organize their change in their wallet and are standing in front of the credit card machine and it's my turn to pay.  I pay enough attention to the cashier to know that my change is correct if I'm paying cash, then stuff my change and receipt into my purse and leave.  I'll organize it when I get home instead of inconveniencing the person behind me in line. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
I can't find the thread about changing lanes in the grocery store.  Can you please provide the link?

lowspark

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
Ahhhh.. no wonder I couldn't find it!  I was searching completely incorrect keywords.  Good example of why it is helpful for the thread title to reflect the topic of the post.  Thanks so much.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »
I'm usually a 'it's okay, don't rush person.'

I will confess that one time I wanted to shove the person in front of me on and out the door  >:D .

I was on lunch break and had run to the store. The woman in front of me had finished her transaction and WOULD NOT STOP talking to the cashier.  The woman chatted about her job, her son hitting a home run, etc., etc.  The cashier kept saying, "That's great, have a nice day" while looking at me and smiling apologetically. She wasn't allowed to start ringing up my purchases until the woman walked away.   

If you're putting your money, card, checkbook away--No problem. Chat away during your transaction.  When it's done please move on and don't stop in the doorway (TM Siamesecat2965).

I had a similar experience today. I only had a short time and a man in front of me had to explain his purchases to the clerk. And why he was purchasing each item. And what he had purchased on his previous visits. And then he told her how long he had been retired, etc. I kept my mouth shut but internally I was thinking sarcastically about how I would never had guessed he was retired. I couldn't change lines as this was the only clerk checking people out.

I had a similar experience with a woman who was insistant on balancing her checkbook and then  reorganizing her purse after her transaction was complete.   I didn't say anything because it really seemed like that was what she was looking for - a response from the people waiting in line. 
It was great when the cashier asked her nicely to please move to the bagging area so she could help other customers! 

(I love my HEB - they have empowered their cashiers to ask things like this as well as tell people with WAY too many items in the express lane that they will have to go to a normal checkout!  Yay!)
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »
I can't stand it when people try to organize their change in their wallet and are standing in front of the credit card machine and it's my turn to pay.  I pay enough attention to the cashier to know that my change is correct if I'm paying cash, then stuff my change and receipt into my purse and leave.  I'll organize it when I get home instead of inconveniencing the person behind me in line.

Sligthly OT but still related - people who move up and block the cc machine, before you can pay. I prefer to bag my own stuff, and bring my own bags (when I remember). So I'll push my car to the end, and bag, and place my stuff in the cart. Which means I then have to back up to pay, if I'm using a cc or debit. It never fails, when I move up to bag, someone else will move up as well, and I then have to politely say excuse me and move back, and depending on how many are in line, they ALL have to back up. That drives me nuts. even if the person in front of me is doing the same, I wait, since I don't know how they're paying.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 07:24:38 AM »
I've found leaving my grocery list or my keys on the shelf my the credit card reader makes a signal that I am returning here. I'll even leave my purse there sometimes if I can keep an eye in it.

scotcat60

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
In the 99p shop this a.m. the  nice lady infront of me had a very full basket. When she saw that I only had 3 small items, she invited me to go ahead of her in the queue. I thanked her very much and id just that!

Betelnut

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 09:52:27 AM »
I like to totally put away change and/or my debit card before moving on.  Any time that I have simply thrown stuff into my purse, I've regretted it later.  15 seconds to put things away saves minutes later.  I would hope that other people in line would understand that...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »
I like to totally put away change and/or my debit card before moving on.  Any time that I have simply thrown stuff into my purse, I've regretted it later.  15 seconds to put things away saves minutes later.  I would hope that other people in line would understand that...

I'm okay with that, but sometimes people have taken a lot of time (in shopping terms) to arranged their wallet, etc. One time a woman in front of me finished her transaction, then stood there fiddling with the inside of her purse. After about 1 minute the cashier and I looked at each other questioningly, because I couldn't even get near the scanner to use my debit card. The woman took so long that everyone in line was noticing the hold-up. She was really clueless, and annoyed pretty much everyone behind her.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »

I do as well, but there is a difference between someone taking 15 seconds to put their card back in the wallet, and wallet back in their pocket or purse, and someone who feels the need to re-arrange their receipts, so this one is in a certain place, and re-arrange their wallet, and then dig for this and that.