A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Travel

Trip to the "other" Washington (D.C.)

(1/3) > >>

gmatoy:
So, I live in (the state) Washington and DH and I are going to be in DC soon for a convention for a couple of days. Have been so busy lining up housesitter, etc. that I have failed to do any real planning for meals, etc. We are going on two tours, and we have already visited DC years ago (when they still did inside tours of the White House, do they still do that?) and done most of the tourist things, but we stayed with family then and so didn't eat out. This time we will have several nights to dine out. I would prefer to get a taste of local flavor with out too much cost.  (I love the pizza and hot dogs when I'm in Chicago and the gyros when in Astoria, Queens, NY, if that helps.)

Thank you in advance!

SiotehCat:

--- Quote from: gmatoy on July 21, 2013, 03:00:28 PM ---So, I live in (the state) Washington and DH and I are going to be in DC soon for a convention for a couple of days. Have been so busy lining up housesitter, etc. that I have failed to do any real planning for meals, etc. We are going on two tours, and we have already visited DC years ago (when they still did inside tours of the White House, do they still do that?) and done most of the tourist things, but we stayed with family then and so didn't eat out. This time we will have several nights to dine out. I would prefer to get a taste of local flavor with out too much cost.  (I love the pizza and hot dogs when I'm in Chicago and the gyros when in Astoria, Queens, NY, if that helps.)

Thank you in advance!

--- End quote ---

I live in the DC area.

When my brother was coming to stay with me for a couple of weeks, I wanted to take him out to a few local places, but I didn't want it to get crazy expensive. So, I bought a few groupons and just used those while he was here. Before buying the groupons, I did look at the websites for the various restaurants to make sure it was something that we would probably enjoy. I found some really great restaurants that way.

PastryGoddess:
Where are you staying?  That info would be helpful in giving you ideas on where to eat.

gmatoy:

--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on July 21, 2013, 05:35:06 PM ---Where are you staying?  That info would be helpful in giving you ideas on where to eat.

--- End quote ---

Hyatt Regency Crystal City, which it turns out, is in Arlington, VA. You are correct in saying that makes a difference! DH is in charge of this trip and he kept saying, Washington, DC. So I thought we were really going to be in D.C.  I have friends who live in MD and work in DC, so I should have thought about this more!

magicdomino:
I work in Crystal City, although at the other end near the Metro stop.  Most of the fast food places close about 7:00 on weekdays, and non-chains may be closed completely on the weekend, just as a FYI.

DC doesn't really have a local flavor as such, because so many people come from elsewhere.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, because those people bring good food with them.  Ever wanted to try Ethiopian?  U Street corridor.  Korean?  Annandale, although you will need a car to get there.  American Indian (and incidently the best food on the Mall)?  The Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian.  I guess the closest to a classic local place would be Ben's Chile Bowl (U street Metro).

In Crystal City, I like Jaleo's tapas.  I also like McCormick and Schmick's fish, but I think that is a chain.  I haven't been to any of the restaurants on 23rd Street lately, but if I get a chance, I'll ask around the office.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version