Author Topic: Trip to the "other" Washington (D.C.)  (Read 1316 times)

gmatoy

Trip to the "other" Washington (D.C.)
« on: July 21, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »
So, I live in (the state) Washington and DH and I are going to be in DC soon for a convention for a couple of days. Have been so busy lining up housesitter, etc. that I have failed to do any real planning for meals, etc. We are going on two tours, and we have already visited DC years ago (when they still did inside tours of the White House, do they still do that?) and done most of the tourist things, but we stayed with family then and so didn't eat out. This time we will have several nights to dine out. I would prefer to get a taste of local flavor with out too much cost.  (I love the pizza and hot dogs when I'm in Chicago and the gyros when in Astoria, Queens, NY, if that helps.)

Thank you in advance!

SiotehCat

Re: Trip to the "other" Washington (D.C.)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »
So, I live in (the state) Washington and DH and I are going to be in DC soon for a convention for a couple of days. Have been so busy lining up housesitter, etc. that I have failed to do any real planning for meals, etc. We are going on two tours, and we have already visited DC years ago (when they still did inside tours of the White House, do they still do that?) and done most of the tourist things, but we stayed with family then and so didn't eat out. This time we will have several nights to dine out. I would prefer to get a taste of local flavor with out too much cost.  (I love the pizza and hot dogs when I'm in Chicago and the gyros when in Astoria, Queens, NY, if that helps.)

Thank you in advance!

I live in the DC area.

When my brother was coming to stay with me for a couple of weeks, I wanted to take him out to a few local places, but I didn't want it to get crazy expensive. So, I bought a few groupons and just used those while he was here. Before buying the groupons, I did look at the websites for the various restaurants to make sure it was something that we would probably enjoy. I found some really great restaurants that way.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »
Where are you staying?  That info would be helpful in giving you ideas on where to eat.

gmatoy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »
Where are you staying?  That info would be helpful in giving you ideas on where to eat.

Hyatt Regency Crystal City, which it turns out, is in Arlington, VA. You are correct in saying that makes a difference! DH is in charge of this trip and he kept saying, Washington, DC. So I thought we were really going to be in D.C.  I have friends who live in MD and work in DC, so I should have thought about this more!

magicdomino

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »
I work in Crystal City, although at the other end near the Metro stop.  Most of the fast food places close about 7:00 on weekdays, and non-chains may be closed completely on the weekend, just as a FYI.

DC doesn't really have a local flavor as such, because so many people come from elsewhere.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, because those people bring good food with them.  Ever wanted to try Ethiopian?  U Street corridor.  Korean?  Annandale, although you will need a car to get there.  American Indian (and incidently the best food on the Mall)?  The Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian.  I guess the closest to a classic local place would be Ben's Chile Bowl (U street Metro).

In Crystal City, I like Jaleo's tapas.  I also like McCormick and Schmick's fish, but I think that is a chain.  I haven't been to any of the restaurants on 23rd Street lately, but if I get a chance, I'll ask around the office.

Julep

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Korean?  Annandale, although you will need a car to get there. 

Yes, first thing that popped into my mind was Honey Pig. :D

DC is south of the Mason-Dixon line, so there's a lot with a Southern flavor - and a LOT of international fare.

Ollie's Trolley for a local feel. Nando's for Portuguese.

I think my favorite "local flavor" is to go to Eastern Market to walk around the vendors on a Sunday morning and eat - crepes outside or (better still) eat breakfast or lunch inside: blue(berry) buck(wheat) pancakes, the brick, fried green tomatoes, lunches are great too. Lines are long and you'll be rushed once you get to the front for both, but IMO, worth the wait.

Try Native American food at Mitsitam (sp?) Cafe in the new Museum of the American Indian.

If you want to get a Capitol Hill experience, I think I remember that the best places are Charlie Palmers (steakhouse), The Palm and Capital Grille were places that I saw a lot of Congressmen and lobbyists.

I don't know if Washington State has Krispy Kremes, there's one in Alexandria, if it's still there.

It's been so long since I was there regularly that I don't want to recommend any of my favorite holes in the walls in case they're gone or just gone bad :/

Have a fun trip!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

Hyatt Regency Crystal City, which it turns out, is in Arlington, VA. You are correct in saying that makes a difference! DH is in charge of this trip and he kept saying, Washington, DC. So I thought we were really going to be in D.C.  I have friends who live in MD and work in DC, so I should have thought about this more!

I just had an event there :)

I agree with what magicdomino said above.  I'll add some more options which are easy to get to via metro from Crystal City and the Smithsonian/National Mall/White House

Farragut West
Cafe Asia (happy hour sushi from 4pm-7pm)
Kellari Taverna
Bombay Tearoom
Naan and Beyond
Firehook Bakery
Friends and Farmers
Any of the food trucks

Metro Center
Ristorante Tosca
District Taco
Haad Thai Restaurant
Co Co Sala (dessert)
Capitol City Brewing Company
Bibiana Osteria-Enoteca (good for lunch)
Oya Restaurant & Lounge
Zaytinya
Old Ebbitt Grill and Ebbitt Express (their raw bar is amazing)
Acadiana

Archives/Navy Memorial
Rasika Penn Quarter
Oyamel
Teaism
Hill Country
Carmine's
Jaleo
Austin Grill

Gallery Place/Chinatown
Eat First (cheap and yummy chinese food.  Ask for the clay pot menu)
Rosa Mexicano
La Tasca
Clyde's
District ChopHouse
Poste Moderne Brasserie
Pho DC
R.F.D. Washington
Nando's Peri Peri (Portugese, not african)

gmatoy

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
Baack and we had a marvelous time! We were there for a reunion of the battalion my DH served with in Viet Nam. A lot of bonding, a lot of back patting and several tours. We went to Mount Vernon (I want to go back with more time to spend) and did a city tour of D. C., catching a lot of momuments and the guide was wonderful!
I have never taken as many pictures in my life! Mostly of three grinning guys in front of things. (DH and another guy from his platton and their platoon leader.)

We ate at so many places that I can not remember all of them.

Best:
1. A burger place with great onion petals and hamburgers. The owner is evidently a former competitor on the Iron Chef. I think it was called Good Eats.
 2. A place called Noodles which wasn't as much the food as getting quickly served, having choices for every one in the group, and outdoor seating that wasn't crowded when we were there. Best of all: they left us alone... really important when men are sharing things that have haunted them for 40+ years.

We are already planning a trip back so we can do some of the Smithsonian.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »
Yay!  So glad you had a good time, thanks for taking the heat with you :)

magicdomino

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »

Best:
1. A burger place with great onion petals and hamburgers. The owner is evidently a former competitor on the Iron Chef. I think it was called Good Eats.

Good Stuff Eatery on Crystal Drive?  I love their burgers and the selection of fry dipping sauces (my favorite is combining Old Bay with Mango); the regular french fries . . . are useful for scooping up Old Bay and Mango dipping sauce.   ;)  I've been told that the toasted marshmallow milkshake is excellent, but haven't tried their shakes yet.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 04:36:04 PM »

Best:

Good Stuff Eatery on Crystal Drive?  I love their burgers and the selection of fry dipping sauces (my favorite is combining Old Bay with Mango); the regular french fries . . . are useful for scooping up Old Bay and Mango dipping sauce.   ;)  I've been told that the toasted marshmallow milkshake is excellent, but haven't tried their shakes yet.
Love that place. Not a fan of dipping sauces, but I like theirs.