Author Topic: Weirdness while travelling *share your tales*  (Read 17428 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Weirdness while travelling *share your tales*
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »
During our vacation last September, we flew into Albuquerque and drove our rental car to a tiny town an hour outside Colorado Springs. Pretty smooth trip, except about an hour outside our destination, we were near a canyon driving in the dark. We were on the top, and there were cars, helicopters, emergency equipment and about 50 people trying to help the people inside two cars that had collided and plunged into the canyon. At night, with the bowl of the canyon like a giant reflector, it was surreal.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »
In HS, choir tour of a few European countries to sing in airports and cathedrals-

one girl in our group had almost black hair and blue eyes, along with a beautiful pure soprano singing voice.

After a performance in one airport, a man came up and proposed marriage to this 16/17 year old girl.  "And do not worry, my first wife has okayed the marriage.  Also, I have a house in the states, in Ohio, so you could still be in your country when I visit my home there."  (We lived in a southern state)

She politely declined. 

Also on that trip, a couple of us were holding the special graded/judges' comments certificate, when a bird pooped directly on it.  Bleh.

Angie or Karen, if you are reading this, pm me!  I was the accompanist.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

scansons

« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
Long move from the midwest to the east coast.  Large hairy husband along.   Brought cat.  Took cat out on leash to let her stretch at travel center.  Kept getting approached by truckers who genuinely wanted to pet and hold the cat. 

Cat may now like them better than me. 

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »
Technically I wasn't traveling, but I'd just moved from a midwestern city to California.  There was a Mexican deli at the end of the block from my apartment.  First time there, when I placed my order, the clerk spoke back to me in absolutely perfect mimicry of my accent. I assumed he was making fun of me and informed him that I found it offensive.  He looked at me incredulously and stated that he wasn't mocking me, that was just the way he talked.

Turned out he was from my home town.

Until then, I hadn't realized I had an accent, but I sure recognized it when I heard it.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2013, 02:25:55 AM »
I was once on a flight between Houston and New York. I was seated between George W. Bush's ex-SIL, and the ex-wife of a high profile person at Dell Computers.

What's worse than a 3 hour flight seated between two bitter ex-wives exchanging war stories? Being on a 3 hour between two bitter ex-wives exchanging war stories, and hearing that the plane will have to circle for an hour before landing.

Diety in heaven I hope you had a large bottle of alcohol
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

squeakers

« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2013, 05:48:10 AM »
(snipping)

While we're sitting there, this group of motorcyclists rides up and parks

They'd been talking amongst themselves and a few broke off from the group and started to walk toward the restaurant. As they did, one turned back and said, "Was that 12 Happy Meals?" and one of the bikers still with the bikes said, "Yes!"

Win sauce! Nothing like having a stereotype smashed in front of your eyes!

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
I was once on a flight between Houston and New York. I was seated between George W. Bush's ex-SIL, and the ex-wife of a high profile person at Dell Computers.

What's worse than a 3 hour flight seated between two bitter ex-wives exchanging war stories? Being on a 3 hour between two bitter ex-wives exchanging war stories, and hearing that the plane will have to circle for an hour before landing.

That was the trip where I spent a night in a hotel room with two total strangers, did a midnight tour of Ground Zero, and learned I could speak Danish. Probably the oddest of all my travels.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Tea Drinker

« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »

That was the trip where I spent a night in a hotel room with two total strangers, did a midnight tour of Ground Zero, and learned I could speak Danish. Probably the oddest of all my travels.

Do you speak anything more closely related to Danish than English is?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Well, I'd had two years of German. So when my seatmate asked, in Danish, what the flight number was, I translated it without realizing it and answered in English, only to have him reply in shock, "I didn't know you spoke Danish!" It was just a weird little episode in a trip of weirdness.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

faithlessone

« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »
Speaking of strange language knowledge, I once did a school exchange with Germany. I'd been learning German for about 4 years, but I wasn't particularly good at it. I do also occasionally talk in my sleep.

When I was staying with my exchange partner, I apparently had an entire conversation with her, in my sleep, in German. I didn't have any memory of it when I woke up, which really surprised her. She told me that she'd been really impressed with my improvement!!

SheltieMom

« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2013, 11:49:35 PM »
My dad runs into people he knows everywhere. Just as an example, he once saw an uncle he had not seen in 30 years in a restaurant in Lubbock, TX. The uncle was travelling from his home in Montana to visit his daughter in Florida.

The best story happened a few weeks after my daughter was born in 1992. My mom had come out to help when I went back to work. My dad owned a gas station in a town 6 hours away from our home. On Friday afternoon, a couple they know stopped to get gas, and mentioned they were headed for my town to see their kids for the weekend. My dad jokingly said, "For 2 cents, I'd throw a bag in and go with you." They told him to go pack, so he did.
Several hours down the road, they stopped to eat. The husband went to the restroom, and my dad was sitting talking to the wife, when some friends from their church walked in. They kept giving my dad weird looks, until the husband came out of the restroom and sat down. It wasn't until Dad saw the look of relief on their faces, that he realized what they were thinking!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
Many years ago, my employer sent me to spend a day working with a prominent man in a small, isolated mountain town--the kind of place where everyone knows everyone. We were out & about visiting various places, and stopped for lunch at what was basically the only restaurant in town.

Mr. "Smith" was great guy with a wicked sense of humor. After we sat down, he pointed out to me all the covert glances we were getting. "They don't know who you are and are wondering if my wife knows I'm with a strange woman." Eventually, someone "just happened" to stop by our table to say hello. Mr. Smith chatted happily, deliberately not introducing me. (That was OK; I was enjoying the joke.)

After we walked out, Mr. Smith looked at his watch. "I'm going to ask my wife how long it was before she got the first phone call."

I found out later, it was about 15 minutes. (In this cell phone age, it probably would have been 15 seconds, photo included.) Mrs. Smith knew who I was and had fun disappointing the gossips.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Jocelyn

« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »
One of the young women in my dorm was a preacher's daughter. Her father changed parishes right after she left for school, so no one in his new parish saw her until Christmas break. Her father had a custom of taking each of his children out for dinner one night a month, and when she came home from college, he told her that since she was now a woman, they would go to a restaurant suitable for adults. They both dressed up suitably for their 'date' and were having a fine dinner when she noticed an elderly couple nearby was glaring at her. She didn't mention it to her father, but it so happened that the couple walked past their table as they were leaving, still frowning at her. Her father exclaimed, 'Oh, Rev. and Mrs. Smith! May I introduce my oldest daughter, who is home from college for Christmas break?' She said both the pastor and his wife blushed.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »
A friend of mine had her DD graduate college & get a job on the military base where Lt Col Dad worked and her mother was a member of the Officers' Spouses' Club (OSC) and ran the base thrift shop. 

Dad would meet DD for lunch at the Officers' Club once a week - but one day it turned out that Mom and some other members of the OSC finished a meeting and joined DD & Dad at their table for lunch....

There were a few red faces when people wandered over to talk to HER and were introduced to her DD - as apparently there had been a suspicion that Dad was meeting a young blonde for lunch and whatever.....nobody noticed until DD & Mom were at the same table that she was CLEARLY her mother's daughter!  Hair, eyes, build, etc. - although twenty-five years of living left Mom looking like a Mom and not a 23 year old college graduate with her first job......
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:54:31 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »
Everyone who has ever visited Chicago knows that it's a spectacular place.  It has great food, great music, great architecture and tons of fun things to do.  However, on one visit, I was somewhat reluctant to leave the hotel lobby because people-watching was so much fun.

That weekend, our hotel was the scene of three major and diverse events.

Headquarters for the annual convention of the International gay Rodeo Association.
Auditions for the Chicago Bulls cheerleading squad.
Administrative center for the Chicago Triathlon.

All weekend, the lobby was bustling with Marlboro men and Barbie dolls.  On the day of the Triathlon, people with numbers painted on their arms and pushing bicycles were added to the mix. 

A sight like that is the sort of thing you can't make up.