Author Topic: Weirdness while travelling *share your tales*  (Read 22391 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Weirdness while travelling *share your tales*
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »
After the keyboardist found out we were Americans he asked the whole restaurant to join him in singing a special song for us. It was Jingle Bells. (For the record, I was there in June, not December.)
I traveled in China in the early 1980s, when individual travel was not allowed and Americans (or westerners in general) were a rarity outside of big cities. Many Chinese were familiar with two, and only two, English songs. The songs, not the meaning of the English. So, we would frequently be asked to sing either Jingle Bells or Do, A Deer.

One of my most vivid memories of my first trip involves teaching the Hokey Pokey to commune members in Chinese Mongolia.

One of my more vivid memories of Scotland, was running into three youngsters, about 12, at a historical site. One had a drum, another had a tin flute, and were performing, for tips, the two songs they could play - "Scotland the Brave," and "Jingle Bells".

Our tour leader looked at them, and asked, "What's the third member of your group do?"

One of the urchins replied, with a lovely accent, "Ach, he's our manager."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
My Uncle Billy (Mom's 2nd youngest brother) took Sis, the 4 L kids, and I out for the day. We get to have fun - he gets to pick up girls.  ::) 

We stop at this country story type place that serves meals, and has a huge porch. The 6 of us were sitting on the edge of the porch with our sandwiches and cokes in real glass bottles, because you can't by soda in a can or plastic bottle on the Island.

Paula (red/green) Me (brown/brown) Stephen (towhead/blue) Ronnie (blond/blue) Sis (sunbleached blond/blue), Kate (blond/Blue) I'm also darker than the rest who are all fair sunburned then tan. Sunlamps/tanning was used as a treatment for my skin condition then so I have what my uncles call a deep water tan from being exposed year around.

This woman pulls up in a fancy car. She gets out and is dressed for downtown business district/court house Houston (during the day). Heels, power suit, fancy hair - not middle of nowhere on PEI. She makes a face at the red dust on the car. Then picks her way over to us. We are arguing about something  - probably if it is hot or not (frequent theme Texas Vs PEI ::) ). She looks us up and down. Now we had been to the beach, them climbing around red clay rock formations, then dragged through a graveyard were ancestors were buried while uncle told us about them/talked to them. We had washed our hands and faces - but probably looked pretty grimy.

Looking down her nose - she looks at me and says something in a language I don't understand. I'm 7 or 8, not really paying attention or thinking about her, and I'm a kid from Texas. - No habla Espanole (Spelling reflects my complete lack of Spanish). She flips out thinking I was being deliberately rude. Kate and Ronnie were on the French Track at school. They jump up and try to explain. All I get is Houston, Texas Houston, Texas (pronounced Like a native youston). The commotion was enough to get Billy and the girl he was trying to pick up out on to the porch. They got her calmed down and got her directions as to where she was going. I was told in future to just say I'm from youston, Texas.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

wheeitsme

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »
Easter Sunday in St. James Park, London.  I looked over, and in the distance we noticed the huge parade of people dressed like bunnies making their way down the Mall.  On roller blades.  We thought that was pretty odd.  Of course that was about 15 minutes before I exclaimed to my DH "Jesus Christ on Roller Skates!" DH:  "Huh?"  Me (pulling him out of the way): "You need to move over, he wants to get by you..."

gmatoy

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »
family with six kids, all dressed identically, eating while lined up along a long bench outside a rest area - all in order of size, from smallest to tallest. Mom and dad nowhere to be seen.

I didn't get past this! When we were young, my mother made our clothes and if we were going some place crowded, she had us dress in identical clothes so that she could say to the police officer, "See these children? The missing one is dressed exactly the same." It is one of my favorite stories to tell about my childhood. And, yes, there are 6 of us! (Where were you when you saw the children and how long ago was it?)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:31:14 PM by gmatoy »

Miss Tickle

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »
When DH & I quit smoking, we saved the money and went to Mexico for three weeks. The Lonely Planet guide to Mexico was the guidebook that led us on an amazing adventure across Yucatan and Quintana Roo.

So, because of the guidebook, we ended up picking up hitchhikers for the first time ever.  They were a couple from Europe, living in Germany, on vacation in Mexico. She was German, and spoke German and Spanish. He was English and spoke German. We could talk to him, and him to her (my HS german got the gist) but not between. We're Canadian, so we speak English and French, so Spanish is close,  but not the same.

We knew when we left the ruins that they were following the same path, because the book specifically mentioned the risks of taking the tour buses, and getting left behind. When we saw the half-hearted thumbs out and the guide book we stopped and Matt approached our car. DH rolled down the window and he asked if we were heading back into town. We told them we had some touring left to do, but if they wanted to tag along...?

They were more than happy to have someone drive them to the last two stops on the tour, without charge, just because we were going that way. We saw Uxmal and Lol-Tun, and on the way back, in the evening later than we should be on the road, we were stopped by the Mexican Army (Federalias?) Four machine guns pointed at the car, we pull over. We roll down the windows and the girl in the backseat starts to butter these guys up.  In perfect Spanish she tells them where we were, where we're headed, the great trip we're having, the wonderful things we've seen, and how happy we are to be in such a beautiful country. I'm in awe. They step back from the car and wave us on. With their guns. I lean out the window and say "Feliz Navidad!", because it was Xmas eve. And I was so happy, and don't know when to shut up.

And the weirdest thing happened: These guys who were stern and serious one minute were happy smiles and handshakes the next. "Feliz Navidad, próspero año y felicidad!".

So, we head back into town, a little freaked out by all the guns, (we saw more earlier) and ask the couple where we can drop them off. They are staying in a small hotel in the old town centre. We are too, would it be okay if we dropped them off where we need to park and they find their way from there? Perfect.

We park around the corner from our hotel. They follow us out. We walk to the hotel. They follow us. We're getting a little freaked out.  I notice she's getting a little freaked out too. They were on the 2nd floor. We were on the 3rd. Even though we continued to follow the guidebook, we never saw them again.

heyyoume

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2013, 05:45:38 AM »
My weird thing was just one massive coincidence.  I am from NZ but spent a couple of years in Asia before going to college in the states.  While on holiday in China I purchased a bracelet from a woman at a Chinese Shrine which had the characters on it for 100 years good luck.  Three years later in the north east US my roommate (who was from Eastern Europe) was getting ready for an interview with a prestigious company on the other side of the country - near San Francisco.   She had these earrings that she really wanted to wear and the bracelet matched them perfectly, so I gave it to her telling her it would bring her luck.  The interview was actually a series of meetings and she bombed the first one, and the second one - with a chinese woman - wasn't going that well either, so to break the ice she asked if the characters on the bracelet really meant what I had said they did.   Her interviewer did a double take as it was her Mum who made and sold these bracelets in China.  My friend got the job and she was positive it was the bracelet that brought her luck. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »
family with six kids, all dressed identically, eating while lined up along a long bench outside a rest area - all in order of size, from smallest to tallest. Mom and dad nowhere to be seen.

I didn't get past this! When we were young, my mother made our clothes and if we were going some place crowded, she had us dress in identical clothes so that she could say to the police officer, "See these children? The missing one is dressed exactly the same." It is one of my favorite stories to tell about my childhood. And, yes, there are 6 of us! (Where were you when you saw the children and how long ago was it?)
We were on our way home from Chicago, and it was this year - unless  you are secretly about 14 (the age of the oldest of the kids, I'd guess) then I don't think it was your family. Maybe at some critical mass of kids (6? 5?) parents just have an instinct to start dressing them alike. LOL

gmatoy

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2013, 01:03:57 PM »

We were on our way home from Chicago, and it was this year - unless  you are secretly about 14 (the age of the oldest of the kids, I'd guess) then I don't think it was your family. Maybe at some critical mass of kids (6? 5?) parents just have an instinct to start dressing them alike. LOL

No, not anywhere near that young!  ;)And in the Pacific NW back then, too.

Mikayla

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »
I lived in Greece for a summer and we took a tour through the interior.  One night in  Kalambaka, as we were leaving for dinner, I saw a spider the size of a softball.  We didn't want to miss the bus, so we put a huge metal trashcan over it and added some tape.  We got back from dinner and the trashcan was empty....on its side...

Also, I was driving from Dallas back to DC a few years ago during Christmas break.  I decided to ditch the direct route (I-40 through TN) and wander through KY a little bit.  I ended up stopping at a motel way off the path - near Elizabethtown, but not in it.  As I was standing in line to check in, I realized the person in front of me was our financial officer at my DC facility.   Huh?!?!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
I think it was in Kentucky where I saw the billboard for the Japanese Spa and Truck Wash. I assume people in Kentucky *really* love their cars.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »
When my parents and I were driving through the States, we noticed a large brown mass clinging to the side of the motel we were staying in.   Thinking it was ivy, we went a little closer.  That's when we noticed that it was moving.   It was bats.   A LOT of bats.

Fortunately, we were all nature lovers and not scared of them!

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
Some years ago, a group of us--me, two other adults, and their 12-year-old--were sharing a room at a small sf convention at a hotel in the Adirondack State Park. The "room" was actually a reasonable-sized room, with two double beds, plus a smaller front room, sort of a screened porch, with a single bed.

The plan had been that the other two adults would take one double bed, I'd take the other, and the 12-year-old would sleep in the front room. Then we went to the hotel room, and saw a large number of ladybugs on the ceiling of the small room.

I said something like "Oh cool, ladybugs!" It turned out the 12-year-old didn't like them, or at least didn't like the idea of sleeping under them, so we quickly rearranged plans: he took the second double bed in the room with his parents, and I took the porch.

(Nothing ladybug-related happened: I left the insects alone, and they left me alone.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Kaesha

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »
I think it was in Kentucky where I saw the billboard for the Japanese Spa and Truck Wash. I assume people in Kentucky *really* love their cars.

Another sign funny (though not travel related):

In Colorado Springs on N Academy Blvd, there is a mini mall whose signage says:

Elite Auto Glass
Just Brakes
Living in Colorado but missing Oregon...
When the butterfly emerges, does the caterpillar cease to exist?

demarco

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
Sometime in the eighties I was driving down I 29 in South Dakota and either two or three (I wish I could remember exactly how many) Deloreans passed me.

I was traveling in Australia in 2001.  I met a nice couple while I was staying at Cradle Mountain which is in Tasmania.  We had a couple of conversations.  I ran into the same couple three weeks later on a train that was going from Adelaide to Sydney.  Cradle Mountain is about 785 miles from Adelaide so I was pretty astonished by the coincidence but they didn't seem to be.  Maybe it's part of a regular Australian tourist loop or something....

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2013, 04:48:43 AM »
We are in the midst of a wonderful car tour through Scotland.
It's a three week trip, so we've had to do laundry among the way.
Usually this means socks etc done by hand, but yesterday we had quite a bit to do so we drove into town to the laundromat.

It was...interseting, as it was piled with clean and partially finished laundry. (Near as I can tell, travellers at the hostel toss their stuff in and take off for several hours.)

I brought a biik and settled in to do my wash.
Another traveller came in and it quickly became clear we did not have any languages in common, but fine, no problem.

He opened his backpack and took out his dirty clothes.
Fine.  :)
Then he took off his shirt and changed into a clean one.
Okay. A bit odd, but okay.  ???

I am loading my clothes into the dryer when I heard a belt opening.
I turn around and he is *taking off his pants*. :o :o

Fortunately, he had trunks on underneath and did Not change those! :P

But who does that???