Author Topic: Weirdness while travelling *share your tales*  (Read 20777 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Weirdness while travelling *share your tales*
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
Everyone who has ever visited Chicago knows that it's a spectacular place.  It has great food, great music, great architecture and tons of fun things to do.  However, on one visit, I was somewhat reluctant to leave the hotel lobby because people-watching was so much fun.

That weekend, our hotel was the scene of three major and diverse events.

Headquarters for the annual convention of the International gay Rodeo Association.
Auditions for the Chicago Bulls cheerleading squad.
Administrative center for the Chicago Triathlon.

All weekend, the lobby was bustling with Marlboro men and Barbie dolls.  On the day of the Triathlon, people with numbers painted on their arms and pushing bicycles were added to the mix. 

A sight like that is the sort of thing you can't make up. 

This wasn't in the early 2000's was it? I moved to Chicago for college.  My very first friends happened to be gay.  My very first experience with drag queens was at a local bar during the IGRA convention when tons of visiting queens who were there for the convention took over the entertainment for the week.  I'm still friends with some of those queens today.

**I was soooooo not of age to drink**  ;)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »
PastryGoddess,

It probably was around that time.  Talking with some of the conventioneers in the hotel bar, we learned that Chicago is frequently the place for the convention.  That's probably because it has so much to offer and it's fairly easy for Canadian members to get there. 

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
(snipping)

While we're sitting there, this group of motorcyclists rides up and parks

They'd been talking amongst themselves and a few broke off from the group and started to walk toward the restaurant. As they did, one turned back and said, "Was that 12 Happy Meals?" and one of the bikers still with the bikes said, "Yes!"

Win sauce! Nothing like having a stereotype smashed in front of your eyes!

You're so right! It was a great learning experience for me as a kid. I only wish I had a photo of all the bikers eating their Happy Meals afterward.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »
The swimming lessons thread reminded me of this one.

Some years ago we were on vacation in Cozumel.  Our hotel had a nice beach with a dive and snorkel center.  It was a popular place because, for the making of an action- adventure movie, a small plane had been sunk to form an artificial reef.  As a result, snorkelers could get good views of fish and coral only a few strokes off-shore. 

One morning, I saw Mr. Thipu off on his dive boat and settled into a beach chair in the shade to read and people-watch.  A group of snorkelers came out of the dive shop.  It was obviously their first time because they were wearing their masks and fins as they made their way to the ladder. 

It was fun watching them try to get down the ladder with their fins on.  Finally, they made it in and
started to snorkel.  All of a sudden, one of the group pulled his head out of the water, tore off his mask and yelled' HOLY CARP!!! THERE'S FISH IN HERE!!!'

Isn't that why you decided to go snorkeling?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »
Well, maybe he was astonished by the carp wearing wings and halos.

... you know, the HOLY carp?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »

BOO!  ;D  ;D

(In the nicest way possible, I adore horrible jokes like that.)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »

that was sooo bad it was good

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
Twik, please don't get me started.  ;D

What the novice snorkeler said was considerably more spicy than the word for which 'carp' is a euphemism.  Still, there can be fun connections between the holy and fish.

As I recall, the 'hali' in halibut is a reference to 'holy'.

I also recall a television ad from the time of 'Jaws' encouraging people tto 'GET EVEN! EAT FISH'.

It included an animated procession of monkfish.  As they slowly moved across the screen,
they solemnly intoned, 'Filet of Sole, oh filet of sole'.

You never know what you're going to find or where you're going to find it.