Author Topic: One of the things I wouldn't change about myself is:  (Read 1851 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
One of the things I wouldn't change about myself is:
« on: July 22, 2013, 02:00:26 PM »
We all may have things about us we would change (I know I do) but I have some I wouldn't. 
I wouldn't change that I associate sound with color.  I used to think that everyone did this, but they don't.  It's called Synesthesia and is a cross wiring of some of your senses.  For instance, the word Bijou is kind of a midnight blue color. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

heartmug

Re: One of the things I wouldn't change about myself is:
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:07:36 PM »
When I get bored at a party, I leave.  I don't really like parties in the first place, but when I end up at a table alone, or (as happened on Friday) the 3 people I am talking to pull out their phones and start checking them, I am done. 
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

bloo

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »
That people will almost never know I'm in pain. I tend towards depression and the ones that know are shocked because I'm always smiling and laughing and 'life of the party'. I prefer to deal with sadness and pain privately. I'm sure most of my acquaintances would appreciate that if they knew. I've learned early on how to behave differently than I feel which means my people skills have gotten quite good!

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
I can sing . . . I mean REALLY sing . . .

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »
I've got my fingers in so many creative pies it's not funny. Some folks here have read my writing and liked it, for one thing. I also draw, and thanks to being a cosplayer, I've picked up a bucketload of skills- sewing's a biggie. I've also learned basic leathercraft, jewellery making, chain and scale mail, and I'm working on latex prosthetics and special effects/character makeup.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
I like to make things with my hands. Jewelry, embroidery, cross-stitch, cakes, baked goods, savory food.

cwm

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »
Bijou, I have mild synesthesia as well. It helped me a lot in my music classes when we had to recognize pieces being played because I'd at least know what key it was in, which would narrow down a lot of the choices from the list we'd been given.

I'd never change my music. I might not be the greatest musician, but it's been a part of me since kindergarten when I started piano lessons and has never gone away. It's a part of who I am, an integral piece of my being, and I love it too dearly to ever think about leaving it behind.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »
How I live my life and raise my kids.

doodlemor

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
We all may have things about us we would change (I know I do) but I have some I wouldn't. 
I wouldn't change that I associate sound with color.  I used to think that everyone did this, but they don't.  It's called Synesthesia and is a cross wiring of some of your senses.  For instance, the word Bijou is kind of a midnight blue color.

That is really interesting!  Does Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue seem correctly blue to you?

In activities with children I've sometimes tried to get them to do a sound representation of common objects.  Some kids really get into it, while others have trouble with the concept.

Fleur

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 05:32:53 PM »

My tenacity. Once I put my mind to something, I will achieve it!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 06:19:41 PM »
How I live my life and raise my kids.

;D Good for you!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
My good nature.

It took me a long time to get to this happy, peaceful place where bad things just tend to roll right off my shoulders. I still get stressed, but I really enjoy looking for the humor or the bright side of a bad situation. Solutions come much easier this way.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »
That I am 50-50 whole brained.
I have pet mice!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
Being lighthearted.  Not to say things don't get to me, because they do, but I am generally a happy person.  I've encountered some people who treat me like a simple idiot for being happy and lighthearted when they think I should be upset about something, and I used to care, but I really don't anymore.

I'm not completely care free, I have my worries but I also try to focus on the good things in life too and it really doesn't take a whole lot to make me happy.

I'm also quite loyal and passionate.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »
That I am 50-50 whole brained.
<waves> So am I, but I've never met another one.  :) 

I can write with both hands.  It's been a very useful skill over the years.  If one hand is cramping/hurting or I'm in a tight space, I just switch.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah