Author Topic: One of the things I wouldn't change about myself is:  (Read 1636 times)

JennJenn68

Re: One of the things I wouldn't change about myself is:
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
That I have almost always been able to think before I speak.  I try never to forget that once words are said, they can't be unsaid, and that unkind ones can linger in the mind of the recipient forever.  I think that my marriage is as healthy as it is because both my husband and I always pause before saying anything that could be construed as hurtful.  (I hear a lot of nonsense about how "letting it all out" is better because it's "honest".  Snapping back with the first nasty thing one can think of is not even remotely honest; it's being said to cause pain and make one feel somehow inherently superior.  I'm done with that.)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
I have a natural knack for languages. Especially if I learn at my own pace and not in a class. I'm fluent in Japanese just from teaching myself...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 12:01:56 AM »
We all may have things about us we would change (I know I do) but I have some I wouldn't. 
I wouldn't change that I associate sound with color.  I used to think that everyone did this, but they don't.  It's called Synesthesia and is a cross wiring of some of your senses.  For instance, the word Bijou is kind of a midnight blue color.

That is really interesting!  Does Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue seem correctly blue to you?

In activities with children I've sometimes tried to get them to do a sound representation of common objects.  Some kids really get into it, while others have trouble with the concept.
I do think overall it has a blue haze, but maybe that's because of the name.   ;)
What I notice mostly would be that certain sounds have certain colors, but I haven't especially noticed that it pertains to music, but mostly to letter sounds.  For example Jeanne and John are deep red but Jeanne has an outline of deep blue.  James on the other hand, is black.  Edward is creamy yellow white, and Dolores is yellow with some black lines.  Aside from sound, I remember making a painting in class once that just looked like noise to me.  I called it "Noise". 
I think that Rhapsody in Blue would probably bring a multitude of color with it.  I'm going to have to listen to it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 12:03:27 AM »
Bijou, I have mild synesthesia as well. It helped me a lot in my music classes when we had to recognize pieces being played because I'd at least know what key it was in, which would narrow down a lot of the choices from the list we'd been given.

I'd never change my music. I might not be the greatest musician, but it's been a part of me since kindergarten when I started piano lessons and has never gone away. It's a part of who I am, an integral piece of my being, and I love it too dearly to ever think about leaving it behind.
It's like having an extra sense, isn't it. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 12:22:40 AM »
That I am 50-50 whole brained.
I have not heard of this.  I assume it means you are equally right and left brained?  So interesting.  I was looking it up and couldn't find anything but I found this site for checking which brain sided you are.  http://www.braintraining101.com/are-you-right-brained-or-left-brained 
Is it related to this kind of thing?

Allyson

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 03:59:20 AM »
My ability to feel an emotion, and realize that acting upon it is not necessary. Nor is it necessary to 'stop feeling' the emotion. I tend to be composed and logical in arguments or disagreements.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 06:28:47 AM »
That I am 50-50 whole brained.
I have not heard of this.  I assume it means you are equally right and left brained?  So interesting.  I was looking it up and couldn't find anything but I found this site for checking which brain sided you are.  http://www.braintraining101.com/are-you-right-brained-or-left-brained 
Is it related to this kind of thing?

Yes, that's it exactly (though some test are much more accurate than others).  Most people clearly favor one side or the other.  Everyone else I ever known has usually tested 20-30% more on their favored side and some even higher.

I took a class a few years ago and part of it was learning your thinking style, learning styles, communication style.  I completely flummoxed the teacher because every test we did I was nearly 50/50 split or what ever the choices were I was, if not perfectly equal, I was within a point either way (some are purposely made so they do not split perfectly equal).  The advantage to this is when presented with a problem, I can often see many more viable options for a solution because I use both sides of my brain equally.  Nothing is really black or white to me.  Though I hated debates in class (didn't like to talk in front of groups), I had fun because I could always easily argue both sides and see the validity of both.

I always wondered though if other whole brained people are dyslexic like me or if it's unrelated.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
I am right handed, right eye dominant and left-brained 15/19. Thanks for the link!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
Being able to stand up for myself, and say what needs to be said. That doens't mean i'm blunt, rude or nasty, but I  was so painfully shy as a kid, even through HS and college, and was picked on and teased, that I could never say cut that out, or stop it, that's mean.  I also had issues even asking for help in a store, etc..  It was such an ordeal for me.

As I've gotten older, the pendulum has kind of swung the other way. I can't and won't be rude or mean, but I am very firm when it comes to many things. I've been accused of being direct, but not in a bad way.  I have no problem simply saying no, I can't do that, no, that's not right, and politely telling people things they've said or done, whether to me or someone else, is not acceptable. One of my friends, who I've only known for about 10 years, as an adult, gave me what I thought was a great compliment, she told me she has never known me NOT to speak my mind. COnsidering how I used to be, I was flattered.

I also have no problem now asking for help in stores, etc.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
The OP mentioned something some/many would think of as a problem, but she doesn't.  Reminded me of mine.  I have almost no sense of smell.  Something has to be really really odorous for me to smell it.  The world is almost always a smell-neutral place.  I like that.  It does mean that when I DO smell something, they have a large effect on me.  I remember literally running to get upwind from the smell of the sea lions (dolpins?) lounging on the park benches in Monterrey, CA.  The good smells are usually food that I will walk toward with my nose sniffing high in the air like a cartoon.  I've have also gotten out of many of stinky chore because my family has seen me turn green.