Author Topic: Are bedrooms off limits?  (Read 9459 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Are bedrooms off limits?
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »
I am in favor of keyed locking doorknobs on doors to rooms that you don't want to be opened.

When our kids were all living home, I installed one on the door of DH's&my bedroom.

and as far as that person searching for the will...holy cow! How presumptuous!

Dragons 8 Cactus

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »
Well I ballsed that up didnt I Sorry :(

LOL!   ;D

Well, at least we got the message!   ;)

I think I could have shouted it quieter than that.  :-[ :P

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
I have a small second-floor apartment. The bathroom is off the living room, so there's no need for anyone to go through the bedroom to get to it. However, there is a small deck off my bedroom, and that's where people go to smoke, get some air, get away from the madding crowd for a few minutes, or just go enjoy the view. There's no way to it except through the bedroom. I used to live in an apartment where you had to go through the (only) bedroom to get to the (only) bathroom.

Between that and my experiences growing up with relatives who had small houses where company stashed the coats in the master bedroom, I have no compunctions about people going into my bedroom. If I'm having guests, I make sure the bed is made, the room is tidy and any embarrassing personal items are stashed away. I'd only consider it rude if while in my bedroom, a guest went snooping in my dresser, nightstand or closet.

Bottom line: I don't consider it a carved-in-stone etiquette rule that Thou Shalt Not Enter Thine Host's Bedroom, Ever. But I do respect closed doors in other people's homes, and if there is a dire situation (need potty *now* and the others are occupied), I will ask before opening a closed door.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:58:34 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

miranova

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2013, 08:17:29 PM »
Yes, bedrooms are off limits unless the door is wide open OR specific permission is given such as "the bathroom is right through that door!"

Dh and I entertain often and have a large house and yard to clean up before people come over as well as food to prepare.  The master bedroom is our last priority while cleaning.  Most of the time it just doesn't get done because there is only so much time and other rooms are more important to be presentable for guests.  So we shut the door and all guests are directed toward the other bathrooms when they need one.

I had a guest rudely insist that she MUST see the entire house for the full "tour" once....I flat out told her no I didn't clean in there, she said she didn't care and barged in to my master bedroom and bathroom!  Well, I CARE.  I hadn't even cleaned the countertops in the bathroom.  I was so embarrassed and haven't invited her back.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
I also had that happen, ONCE.  I was SO taken aback, all I could do was stammer!  And we are not friends anymore. 

The way my house is laid out, the master bedroom is the farthest away room, with the master bath deeper in there. 

The front bathroom, for the kids and guests, is at the front of the house, and I keep the lights on, if expected company, a lit candle, and fresh towels. 

Once a year I host a large party, and I SHUT my bedroom door.  That is where I stash stuff, also, and since the room is back and out, you really do not notice it. 

There have been debates about when company sleeps over, that the MB is given to them.  I grew up with the idea that the MB is the sanctuary, the marriage bed, the retreat, a safe haven, not to be invaded. 

My kids can come in, but for a specific purpose, and they usually ask. 

Even my best friend has only been in there once or twice, and we have keys to each others houses and jokingly claim each others' kids as our own. 

Kid bedrooms are a hang-out place, for other kids, not adults. 
My house has two living areas and a large open kitchen, so I guess I am lucky.

My master bedroom will be seen by others when they need to clean it out upon my death. 
(Or if I ever get super organized and want to show it off...but I need to get the rest of the house ready, first!  lol)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
I also had that happen, ONCE.  I was SO taken aback, all I could do was stammer!  And we are not friends anymore. 

Really?  You chose to end the friendship rather than simply talk to her about it?  Why?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2013, 07:15:01 AM »
 Oh not just over that.  In fact, we were only acquaintances really, and her intrusion made sure it never developed past that.
She had never been to my home before, and I believe popped in without calling first, to drop off something.
Since she had never seen the home, she wanted a full tour.
So, a friendship never developed.
It was many years ago and we have not been members of that location where I meet her for years now.
Had forgotten her till the oust reminded me.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

ettiquit

« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »
If I ever had a guest do this to me, I'm sure I would just start locking the door in the future.