Author Topic: Headed to New Orleans  (Read 773 times)

Dr. F.

Headed to New Orleans
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:11 AM »
on sunday, for 4 days, for a conference. I'm staying right on the border between downtown and the French Quarter. I've been there before, but would love to hear everyone's must do, must see, and must eat lists!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Headed to New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »
Cochon and Boucherie are two of my favorites. Have tried GW Fins once and it was really enjoyable.

We always make a stop at Mothers each trip and of course Cafe Dumonde and Southern Candymakers.

My sister is currently raving about Cake Cafe for their breakfasts.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
If you have a car, go to Parkway Tavern for a po boy.  Cake Cafe has good food - their white cake with almond frosting is really good, but I don't know that I'd put it on my must haves for New Orleans.  I'd do a ghost tour in the French Quarter - it is lots of fun and you get to hear stories and some history of the area.  Carousel bar is an interesting place to get a drink.  I still have a soft spot for Galatoire's and I also love Luke's (get a French 75!). 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:54:25 PM »
Gallery Rinard!

They specialize in comical animal art.  We got a print of "Personal Space" by Eric Litwin featuring Pete the Cat!

For some reason my image isn't showing, but you can see it here: http://pinterest.com/pin/155655730842906290/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:00:56 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
Activities:
If you have some time, the WWII museum is wonderful.
The Ghost tours are really fun.
When I was there with my MIL, we did a horse and carriage ride around the French Quarter and it was entertaining, though I'm not sure how historically accurate.
My favorite way to spend an afternoon is browing the antique stores and art galleries along St Charles and Julia.

LadyL

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:58:52 PM »
Carousel bar!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
I am so JEALOUS.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture