Author Topic: Ugh, possible virus...computer people, any pointers?  (Read 1017 times)

CakeBeret

Ugh, possible virus...computer people, any pointers?
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
This morning I was on my laptop as usual when it started playing some awful hiphop music randomly. I was browsing in Chrome at the time, and made sure that none of my tabs were playing music. The only other programs I had running were a notepad and Sims 3 (which was not the culprit). I did some googling and found that it was probably some sort of virus. My computer is not showing any other symptoms of a virus/malware/infection. I restarted my computer and it hasn't happened since. As I couldn't find any other cause of the problem, I'm going on the assumption that it is a virus.

I use Avast antivirus for everyday virus protection; I did a scan and it shows no viruses. So I've installed and run Norton Power Eraser and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both have scanned my computer and found no infection. I'm getting ready to run Trojan ZeroAccess Tool, which looks for the ZeroAccess Trojan virus, which might be the cause of the music.

I'm also concerned about the fact that Avast neither prevented nor found the virus (if indeed it is a virus).

Do you have any recommendations for other infection removal programs? Is there another explanation for why my computer was playing random music?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Ugh, possible virus...computer people, any pointers?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »
I would call a computer type person and ask, or even take it in to be checked.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:24:56 PM »
I would call a computer type person and ask, or even take it in to be checked.

I don't have anyplace to take it. The local Geek Squad is useless, and the local computer repair shop is both useless and scammy.

I've successfully located and removed viruses before (even a trojan once) but I just can't *find* this one!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
Try another virus program.  Most of them will let you demo it for free or have a free version.  My computer guy is quite impressed with AVG Free.

(Caveat:  I am not a computer person.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

squeakers

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
Go here, post your concerns and follow their directions: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/

They'll have you download various programs and post the results.  Then they dissect the information and walk you through cleaning your pc if you do have an infection.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
I had that happen - turned out to be a pop-up on my home page (ISP - links to car ads and sometimes news would start up if my cursor was in the wrong spot - just moving it across the page without moving it up or down to avoid the advertisement would allow the pop-up to open).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »
Download Spybot Search & Destroy.  It's free, and it does what it says.

You can also try Adaware. 

Don't download it from Cnet! I inherited a browser hijacking that way.  Google Spybot and make sure that you've got their site, and not a clone.  Hint:  Spybot asks for donations, and has a couple of other products that you can pay for, but S&D is free.

Sorry.  Don't mean to sound bossy.  I don't want you to go through what I have when I wasn't paying attention.

magician5

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
Take it in - or call a traveling pro (NOT Geek Squad or any other store-based service).

This sounds exactly like the thing that very quickly destroyed a 1-year-old computer for me recently. I can handle many threats/viruses, but not this one.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »
Definitely go with Spybot Search & Destroy, and AVG Free is a very good antivirus.

Did you close Chrome when the music started playing? If you did, and it kept going, yes, it might be malware. If not, it might have been a pop-under ad of some sort, those tend to hide under your currently opened windows.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

CakeBeret

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Thanks folks!

This:
Go here, post your concerns and follow their directions: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/
is hugely helpful. Thanks so much! I followed their FAQ and tried several more virus removal programs. Still no sign of any viruses, malware, spyware, or any other nastiness.

I caved and called my nephew, who's a computer genius. I try to avoid bugging him with computer questions because I'm sure he gets it all the time, but I figured he could advise me whether to take it into a repair shop or not. He thinks it was most likely a hidden pop-under (as Liliane said) that can play advertisements without being visible onscreen, and directed me to a Chrome extension that will be able to tell me for sure if it happens again. I'm going to try Spybot, as JeanFromBNA suggested, and watch it closely for a couple days.

Thanks for all the help!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
Just FYI, AVG is very hard to remove and if you get the free version expect to get constant pop ups and reminders.  It's really really good at keeping malware out, but it can be a bit annoying

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 05:08:18 AM »
The sneaky pop up sounds like the culprit. No matter how proactive you are about adblocking something always slips through. After I and the cat nearly had a heart attack one late night when one starting screaming about health insurance I now keep my volume on mute unless I need it. I'm on top of my browser additions and I still get whomped on occasion.

I use COMODO Internet Security and spybot. They are both free and I've heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials. Comodo is a bit paranoid so when something updates it clamps down on permissions so it can get annoying with it's own notifying popups but it alerts you whenever something tries to update or upload itself if you put it one high security mode. Its pretty user friendly and easy to set up.