Author Topic: Trash cans and their ettiquette  (Read 2510 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Trash cans and their ettiquette
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
I agree that it's rude to not ensure that your stuff makes it into the trash can. I see this sort of like throwing something and missing, then leaving it on the floor rather than picking it up. I think it's your trash and therefore your responsibility. It shouldn't be up to the next person who comes along to make sure that it makes it into the receptacle.
The question isn't that it's not in the receptacle, though - it is. It's just not below the plastic hinged lid - it's in the area above this. sitting in an area meant to catch the trash.

I see it as akin to not pushing down the paper in the bathroom trash can if it's high, but not at the top of the can. You're not soiling your hands (negating you having just washed them) and the trash is in the can, it's just very near the top of the can and could fall out if it's not pushed down later by something heavier.

Firecat

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
What about buying a dowel rod or something like that so people can use it to push open the lid without having to touch it? Any hardware store would have one for a few dollars. That might be a workable compromise.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
What about buying a dowel rod or something like that so people can use it to push open the lid without having to touch it? Any hardware store would have one for a few dollars. That might be a workable compromise.

I would buy one for myself, but wouldn't leave it in the common area since it might "disappear."

As for the topic, my personal opinion is that it's rude.  What if it builds up and some poor guy with the heavy tray has to deal with the mess.  What if he toss in a heavy object and all the garbage fly off or it doesn't drop in because the papers are clogging the crack?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
Push it in and if contact with the top bugs you, go wash your hands. Don't make your issues with touching it someone else's problem.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Library Dragon

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
Push it in and if contact with the top bugs you, go wash your hands. Don't make your issues with touching it someone else's problem.

POD

I'm not the most persnickety person, but this just squicks me out.   Did the person leaving the napkin have a cold sore, the beginnings of the flu....?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

daen

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
For what it's worth, my experience with these cans is that throwing the garbage straight down works pretty well. If you throw the (say) damp paper towel at the center line of the lid (after drying your hands), the momentum and bit of extra weight from the water is enough to push the lids apart and let the towel through.

Eeep!

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »
I agree that it's rude to not ensure that your stuff makes it into the trash can. I see this sort of like throwing something and missing, then leaving it on the floor rather than picking it up. I think it's your trash and therefore your responsibility. It shouldn't be up to the next person who comes along to make sure that it makes it into the receptacle.
The question isn't that it's not in the receptacle, though - it is. It's just not below the plastic hinged lid - it's in the area above this. sitting in an area meant to catch the trash.

I see it as akin to not pushing down the paper in the bathroom trash can if it's high, but not at the top of the can. You're not soiling your hands (negating you having just washed them) and the trash is in the can, it's just very near the top of the can and could fall out if it's not pushed down later by something heavier.

Until it is under the lid, I don't really consider the trash in the can.  Just because the lids are angled downwards and it isn't likely to fall on the floor, it still equates to "sitting on the lid of the trashcan" in my book. (And it doesn't feel the same as piling something on top of an open trashcan.) And in my opinion, it is rude to leave your garbage on the top of a trash can because it is essentially making it someone else's problem.  Plus, in my personal experience, most of the time you can open these types of cans with not too much pressure - I would think a paper plate would be sufficient.  Or if you had a napkin, you could just ball it up and use it to push it quickly open and let go. 
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »

This is what I think--it's your trash, and you should take *full* responsibility for it.

And I'm w/ Eeep!--until it's all the way under the lid, it's not "in" the trash.
If the trash has no lid, then of course the topmost things will/can sit lightly on top of all the others. But this has a lid.