Author Topic: Dreams that you thought were real, and how they affected your everyday life  (Read 3268 times)

AylaM

I have two stories.  The first was from when I was in second grade.  I was in chorus and we lined up by height.  Apparently I had a dream in which I was moved from the second row to the fourth because I was just so tall.  I was then situated between the two most popular girls.  So during the next practice I entered the practice room and proceeded to sit between them.  When they asked what I was doing, I informed them that the teacher had moved me during the last class.  She hadn't. Cue embarrassment.

More recently I had a dream about "The Pirates of Penzance"  I didn't remember having it, but I apparently took on my dream as the actual play that I'd seen part of.  When someone asked what it was about, I was about to explain it was a musical about Hell.  Only the fact that I couldn't remember how it ended kept me from telling the random person all about the Pirate Hell-Battle.  I looked it up later and was so happy I hadn't told the poor stranger about it.

But you get to hear about it:

You see, it starts with a devil figure in Hell. We later learn was born a cat and stumbled onto an entrance to Hell while trying to protect/avenge his younger brother.  And then he accidentally became the overseer.  He has minions: The Pirates of Penzance.  They sing and dance and prance! (No prancing!).  Then we focus on a newcomer.  Another devil figure who wants to become part of the circle of high demons (or something similar) and must defeat a current demon in battle.  He arrives by boat to battle the Cat-Devil.   They push each other into the river a lot.  The devils pushed each other into the river a lot.  The always crawled out before they were washed off stage.  I assume the loser is the one who couldn't crawl back out.  Which is how Cat-Devil accidentally became the overseer (in my head).  You see,  when he fell out of the hell portal he landed on the devil and knocked him into the river, thusly becoming the new ruler.

No idea what the rest of the plot was, or why it was called "The Pirates of Penzance" and not "Cat-Devil Fights for his Life". 

No clue how he transformed from cat to humanoid.

Jape

Not quite the same, because I knew (in theory anyway) that it was a dream.  I dreamt that someone I knew had murdered someone and the body was in a freezer.  In the dream I knew I should go to the police, but I didn't.  I think the body was found, but I don't remember what happened to me. 

I felt so incredibly guilty and physically sick about it for at least a week!  Even though I knew it had to have been a dream, it felt so real that I just couldn't shake the guilt.

AylaM

Jape, I've done something similar (known it was a dream, but felt bad about it)

Last year I dreamed about going to a baby shower for my sister.  She is younger than me by about 3 years, but has always tended to "grow up" faster.  The important part of that, as it pertains to this story, is that she started dating first.  She will likely get married (already talking about it!) and have kids first.  There is a part of me that recognizes that and is already a little jealous.

So in the dream I had moved past jealousy and was just so happy I was going to be an Aunty.  I was happy and content and warm and fuzzy.  When I woke up and realized it was a dream I moped for the rest of the day as if I had lost something.  I've never felt so terrible in my life.  It was as if she had actually been pregnant and lost the baby.  :'(

cwm

I've had dreams of arguing with my mother so real that I woke up angry with her over some ridiculous thing. It happened so often that sometimes I'd go to her first thing in the morning and ask her if I was mad at her. When she gave me a funny look, I'd mutter something about having dreamt it and wander off.

Usually the day before a big event (starting a new job, leaving on vacation, something people are relying on me for) I'll constantly have nightmares about something going wrong or my alarm not going off or other various terrible mishaps. I don't get any sleep and when I actually get up the next day, I can remember each of them like they had happened. It gets really weird because I can remember my alarm not going off and me not getting up until several hours later, and when I am up and around, I keep thinking that I should still be in bed, that my alarm didn't get me up.

amylouky

When I was little, I had recurring dreams that I could fly. I would jump off the bar on the swingset and just decide not to hit the ground, and soar around the back yard.

I didn't know why it only worked sometimes.. other times (when I was awake), I just got skinned grassy knees from jumping off the bar.

cwm

When I was little, I had recurring dreams that I could fly. I would jump off the bar on the swingset and just decide not to hit the ground, and soar around the back yard.

I didn't know why it only worked sometimes.. other times (when I was awake), I just got skinned grassy knees from jumping off the bar.

My flying dreams were more like jumping dreams, I'd just jump and be able to not land.

The other night I had a flying dream and I knew it was a dream, but for some reason all I could do was swoop to land on my feet gently when I jumped face first. I couldn't actually control the flying. I woke up bothered by it, and when my BF asked me what was wrong, I told him quite simply that I couldn't fly any more. It made perfect sense to me!

Reader

I once had a dream that a boyfriend had cheated on me.  I woke up yelling at him and crying.  He was extremly confused until I could explain, then he thought is was so hilarious.  (He never cheated on me during our relationship).

emwithme

I once didn't speak to my BFF (and then roomie) for about three days because in a dream she hadn't supported me when I was in the X Factor.  As she said to me (both in the dream, and in reality) "You can't bl**dy sing".  I can't, she's right, but Simon Cowell thought there was "something" about my voice. 

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
I had a dream my Freshman year of High School that my boyfriend had said something absolutely horrible to me. I was hurt and angry, and the very last thing I wanted in the world was to see his stupid face. When he came to walk me to lunch that afternoon, I was still seething and I couldn't believe he had the nerve to show his face after what he had said to me. I still don't remember what it was, but it was bad enough that my initial reaction was to slap his face and storm off. It took 3 days of him calling me before I would talk to him and realize it was a dream  :-[

DH still won't let me forget about that day. He says his cheek was red for the rest of the day and his buddies gave him a really hard time over it
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

shadowfox79

DH has never let me forget the half-asleep, half-waking dream I had where I saw a goblin crawl across the wall (like the monster in Jeepers Creepers) and get in our wardrobe.

I still can't believe he actually got up and checked for me. He swears he'd never have got any peace if he hadn't, but if he'd waited five minutes for me to wake up properly I'm pretty sure I'd have let him off.

BarensMom

I once had a dream that a boyfriend had cheated on me.  I woke up yelling at him and crying.  He was extremly confused until I could explain, then he thought is was so hilarious.  (He never cheated on me during our relationship).

I did that with DH - I woke up from the dream and punched him in the arm.  He said, "Oww - what'd you do that for?"  and I told him it was for being a cheating dog.  He was understandably confused.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
I had a dream one time about a power outage. I was lying in bed and everything was dark...and quiet...and dark...and did I mention dark? (Note: I'm not actually afraid of the dark.) So, rather confused, I just laid there for a few long moments, and then decided: no, this cannot be a power outage! And reached over to the power strip beside my bed, thinking it'd been turned off.

Which is when I woke up - because I don't HAVE a power strip beside my bed, and I realized instantly that That Was Not Right.

And no, there was no power outage. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
This is all so interesting.  I never remember my dreams.  The closest I get is being able to wake myself up during a upsetting dream, but other than that, I have no clue what I dream about.

faithlessone

Usually the day before a big event (starting a new job, leaving on vacation, something people are relying on me for) I'll constantly have nightmares about something going wrong or my alarm not going off or other various terrible mishaps. I don't get any sleep and when I actually get up the next day, I can remember each of them like they had happened. It gets really weird because I can remember my alarm not going off and me not getting up until several hours later, and when I am up and around, I keep thinking that I should still be in bed, that my alarm didn't get me up.

I get these! Really throws my brain for a loop.

As for a strangely topical one - on Sunday night, I dreamt that the Duchess of Cambridge got bored of being pregnant, so she checked into the Lindo and stole a baby. I know, that makes no sense at all. But it made me pretty weirded out when I woke up Monday morning and discovered that Kate had, in fact, checked into the Lindo and was supposedly in labour!

turtleIScream

There are the occasional days I am really excited to work a new article of clothing into my outfit, only to discover I dreamt the entire shopping experience. Very disappointing to realize I do not in fact own those awesome shoes that make my clown feet look smaller.

Earlier this past school year, the city began repaving the street my daughter's school is on, so we'd been having to leave the house earlier to follow alternate routes. One day, I was taking my time getting ready in the morning and told her we didn't have to leave right away, because I heard on the radio that the project had been temporarily suspended and all the roads were open. She pointed out that none of us had the radio on that morning, and I must have dreamed it.