Author Topic: Dreams that you thought were real, and how they affected your everyday life  (Read 3334 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
When people marry into our family - we warn them their spouse might start yelling at them in the middle of the night for something that happened in a dream. It seems to go with the night terrors and sleepwalking.

2 times I've woken up mid air jumping out of bed - convinced my boss called me screaming because I was late. Got dress, drove to work, got there and it was 4:30 - 5:00 am. Put my seat back and took a nap till someone got there to open the school. (40 minute drive home - then back wasn't an option).

Called sis in a panic that something had happened to the kids or her. Nothing was wrong.

One time though I called her in a panic about Older Niece. When she answered she spat out something is wrong with Older niece before I said anything. Later that day they got a call. I don't want to go into details - but older niece went to live with sis and BIL that day.

Sis has called me in a panic having dreamed I was having a reaction to peanuts. So have 2 cousins.

At sleep-away camp cousin C and I were basically accused of faking all this. One of us would start talking and the other would reply. (Sometimes we were probably 1/2 way between sleep and awake and didn't realize we were talking). This one girl kept insisting on reading "It's Alive" aloud to the cabin before lights out. I kept trying to run away from the monster from "It's Alive" in my sleep. I sleep walk with my eyes open, so Dusty, the councilor,  never believed I was asleep. Lucky for her, I'm not as violent as other members of my family when sleepwalking. (a couple are downright dangerous) So when she "redirected" me back to bed - she didn't end up hurt. She was told how lucky midway through camp. During parents' weekend she complained about out antics to our parents. They told her that this was "normal" sleep behavior for our family. That yes occasionally we tried to fake people out - but we would start laughing very quickly. After that the nightly reading of It's Alive was swapped out for Judy Blume's "Forever" that got stopped when another girl complained to her parents in a letter.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

AylaM

I woke up this morning feeling awful.  I realized it was the 29th and that I had a huge project due tomorrow that I hadn't even started.  I was hating myself for procrastinating because there was no way I could finish the project in a day.  I was going to fail my class and not be able to graduate.

Then I realized I wasn't even in school, and I must have been dreaming.  Nevertheless I still feel a twinge of guilt.  Perhaps I'll be especially productive today?

greencat

I frequently have exceptionally vivid dreams, with conversations with real people in my life that I later realize aren't real.  The only time lately that I've had one that I didn't figure out to be a dream moderately quickly was when I was working at a hotel breakfast.

We had waffle irons for guests to prepare their own belgian waffles.  The waffle irons made a gross mess that we had to clean up constantly, and frequently the guests malfunctioned a little and didn't follow the instructions, so the waffles would get stuck to the inside of the iron and we'd have to spend time prying the bits of stuck waffle out from the grid.  My fellow breakfast staff and I were understandably thrilled when the management decided that the waffle irons produced an "inconsistent product" (by which I think they meant that the mess the guests created around the irons and the frustration they experienced when their waffles got stuck was dinging their ratings) and opted to just have pre-made waffles on the breakfast bar instead.

One night, I dreamed that the management decided that waffle irons were going to be out for the weekend breakfast, and I spent the night in my dreams cleaning the station up over and over again.  The next time I actually went into work, I was actually pretty shocked that the waffle irons weren't put out (I had the latest shift start time so the setup was mostly done by the time I came in.)  It took me a minute to realize that the dream was a dream!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
From about the age of six until the age of twelve I had a disturbing dream that would pop up every three or four days. 

I was standing outside a huge hangar and, with others, I was invited in to watch a dirigible being inflated.  The  airship was big and the inflation sounded almost like a snore (that could have been Dad in the next room).  As I watched, the thing got larger and larger until it almost entirely filled the building.

At that point, the guide panicked and told everyone to run for their lives because, 'This blimp is going to blow!'

It never did blow and I always woke up but I still feel a little odd when I see the Goodyear blimp at sporting events.   

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
I once had a dream that a boyfriend had cheated on me.  I woke up yelling at him and crying.  He was extremly confused until I could explain, then he thought is was so hilarious.  (He never cheated on me during our relationship).

I did that with DH - I woke up from the dream and punched him in the arm.  He said, "Oww - what'd you do that for?"  and I told him it was for being a cheating dog.  He was understandably confused.

I had a coworker who was snippy with me out of nowhere, then told me she had been mad at me for two days because she had a dream i had an affair with her husband.  ::)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Yesterday I left work early because I wasn't feeling well. I didn't think I'd be well enough to come in today either.

When I woke up, I realized I had to let my supervisor know I wasn't coming in.
So I sent her a text "Sorry, but I won't be able to come in today."

After I sent it, I checked the sent items just to make sure.
To my horror, I found the message I had sent said "It's going to be a problem when she tries to take the throne."  :o

I re-entered the message, "I'm sorry, but I won't make it in today."

Checked the sent messages again. This time it said "She doesn't know where the gold is."  ??? ???

In a panic, I scrolled through the sent messages and realized I somehow sent her the text of a short story I was working on!

And the I woke up enough to realize that yes, I wasn't feeling well enough to go to work but that I had not actually sent random texts to my boss. ;D

I stayed in bed. DH phoned my boss. :D ;D
(And I'm feeling much better now!)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
You know, if you were actually to send messages like that to your boss, she probably wouldn't question your claim that you're too ill to come in to work!  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

cwm

I'm going to go hug the BF very close when I see him today. I had a dream that he was left horribly bruised and maimed from his bi-weekly infusion. That's never happened, but it was so real.

I've also had to avoid eye contact with one of my ex-managers due to a truly bizarre dream in which he was hitting on my boyfriend on a train trip we took in Germany. First I thought he was hitting on me, then when I went to ask him about it, he admitted he was trying to get to my BF. I wanted to call in sick the next day because I didn't think I could look him in the face.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I had a real life situation affect a dream, so it's sort of a reverse situation.

I was visiting another office, when one of the women asked for help in despidering the training room. We found one hiding in a wall - we could only see his legs, but I'm pretty convinced he had took a size 10 shoe. We had a long discussion about the prevalence of poisonous spiders, and the likelihood that the legs belonged to a brown recluse. Unfortunately, when looking up how to id one, I came across pictures of the results of a bite from one. The spider was left to his own devices at that point.

That night, I had a dream about going into the office, and finding tarantula-sized spiders on every doorway. When I insisted they had to be removed, the office manager kept saying, "But it's OK. They're trained!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
You know, if you were actually to send messages like that to your boss, she probably wouldn't question your claim that you're too ill to come in to work!  ;D

When I came in today I told her how I had sent her all these texts but they kept coming out wrong.

She just looked at me and said "Were you hallucinating? I didn't get any texts from you.".  :o

So I finished with "And then I woke up"  ;D ;D

She burst out laughing.  ;D ;D

cwm

I had a real life situation affect a dream, so it's sort of a reverse situation.

I was visiting another office, when one of the women asked for help in despidering the training room. We found one hiding in a wall - we could only see his legs, but I'm pretty convinced he had took a size 10 shoe. We had a long discussion about the prevalence of poisonous spiders, and the likelihood that the legs belonged to a brown recluse. Unfortunately, when looking up how to id one, I came across pictures of the results of a bite from one. The spider was left to his own devices at that point.

That night, I had a dream about going into the office, and finding tarantula-sized spiders on every doorway. When I insisted they had to be removed, the office manager kept saying, "But it's OK. They're trained!"

This part had me cracking up so hard!

Lately I've just been having bad dreams in general. Nothing horrible, just slightly unsettling or disturbing. When I have these, though, they leave me in a funk all day. And I didn't get to see BF last night, so I'm still worried about that. His hand and forearm were swelling up like a balloon in my dream the other night, and he was defending the nurse that set up his IV. It was terrible.

I need a dreamcatcher in my new place, I'm convinced.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
I once had a dream that a boyfriend had cheated on me.  I woke up yelling at him and crying.  He was extremly confused until I could explain, then he thought is was so hilarious.  (He never cheated on me during our relationship).

I did that with DH - I woke up from the dream and punched him in the arm.  He said, "Oww - what'd you do that for?"  and I told him it was for being a cheating dog.  He was understandably confused.

I had a coworker who was snippy with me out of nowhere, then told me she had been mad at me for two days because she had a dream i had an affair with her husband.  ::)

I woke up in the dead of night once to my GF at the time beating the carp out of me with her pillow.  She dreamed I had an affair.  Never could convince her that her dream wasn't reality.

Hillia

I woke up in the dead of night once to my GF at the time beating the carp out of me with her pillow.  She dreamed I had an affair.  Never could convince her that her dream wasn't reality.

DH's best friend's SIL (got it?) dreamed that he had cheated on her sister. She is 100% convinced that this is true, and he did cheat on her sister, and is a lying cheating scumbag.  Fortunately her sister has better sense; Friend is the nicest guy, and has spent untold hours and dollars on taking care of his MIL (driving to dialysis/drs appts, running errands, buying special groceries, having her live with them, etc) because none of her other children can be bothered.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
I used to have a problem with this, but then I read that you can turn your memories of your dreams off or on.  Basically, before you go to bed you tell yourself you don't want to remember your dreams.  It takes a few days, but it worked.

Goosey

First "fight" I had with my now husband occurred because I dreamed that he asked me to do something I didn't want to do and when I said "no" he kept pushing and asking my why, etc. He KNOWS that's one of my pet peeves so I just could not believe he was doing it!

When I woke up, I called him and scolded him for it. He pointed out that he hadn't actually done it, so I just told him consider this his first warning!   :P